Note to New Members ×

HELP! TD3 Stance Width Question??

barryj

May I suggest selling that Virus and buying another one with custom narrowed inserts? Adding inserts is always a dicey affair, I wouldn't do it on a prized/expensive board. All the alpine board makers add fiberglass between the inserts and the core to resist the forces that alpine boots/bindings put into the core. You don't have any of that with added inserts.

You've obviously ridden the Virus with the Oxygen bindings at 19" and liked it, maybe try mounting the Bombers with the current inserts and see if it's a noticeable change.

Thanks for all the input guys!

DonP - your right, the distance between the bindings of the twomboards isn't the same! Somehow I thought I measured it as the same, but I put the Oxygens back on the Virus and it's closer to 19 inches......which makes sense.....it's two differant boards....it can't measure the same!

So my solution is as I mentioned and showed above to find and mark the center of the Oxygens on the Virus and line up the TD's in that centered spot...which shows I need another set of inserts to match the settings with the Oxygens.....................at least that is what I've come up with?

1. What is the minimum distance between the 2 closest inserts on the red board that you had the Oxygens on?

2. What is the minimum distance between the 2 closest inserts on the Virus?

If its not the same or very close, you will never get the same minimum stance width regardless of what bindings you use.

I'd suggest either widening your stance, you are tall enough to support it, or finding a board that allows your narrow stance.

1. What is the minimum distance between the 2 closest inserts on the red board that you had the Oxygens on?

2. What is the minimum distance between the 2 closest inserts on the Virus?

If its not the same or very close, you will never get the same minimum stance width regardless of what bindings you use.

I'd suggest either widening your stance, you are tall enough to support it, or finding a board that allows your narrow stance.

Or put a plate on it.

Hey Corey,

Yeah, I had the Virus with the Oxygen bindings at SES. ......and I tried the TD's on the Virus, which is what started this stance discussion.

With the TD's my weight is to far back at the most forward setting of inserts on the rear foot..IMO

Bruce from Coiler mentioned that moving your bindings/weight forward or backward can make a too-stiff or too-soft board work for you. Go forward if it feels too stiff, backward if it feels too soft. Does this board feel too stiff for you?

Move your center of mass forwards by shifting your leg position? I don't mean to be so blunt, but I'm of the opinion that the manufacturers of boards have an intention of what the board should do and how it will perform best and lay out the inserts accordingly. I'll shift around based on conditions anyway, why not do the same for different boards. Granted, if you spend your day leaning on your front foot, maybe a stance move is necessary.

Hey Corey,

Yeah, I had the Virus with the Oxygen bindings at SES. ......and I tried the TD's on the Virus, which is what started this stance discussion.

With the TD's my weight is to far back at the most forward setting of inserts on the rear foot..IMO

Do you have a picture of the mounting disc for the Oxygen bindings? It would be useful for everyone who doesn't know what they look like

compared to a TD3 mounting disc. Maybe the difference between the 2 allows more adjustment with the Oxygen.

How much cant/lift do the Oxygen's have? Looks like you are using 3 Deg front and 6 degree rear on the TD3.

I know Frank at Virus has option to add additional inserts during ordering, so the inbeded mounting sheet must be long enough to handle it.

On a differant question - with the 4 hole mounting disc..... I seem to recall someone saying to place the screws as close to each other as possible to help with the applied stress/torque...........wouldn't you want to place the screws farther apart to even the load???

I know Frank at Virus has option to add additional inserts during ordering, so the inbeded mounting sheet must be long enough to handle it.

On a differant question - with the 4 hole mounting disc..... I seem to recall someone saying to place the screws as close to each other as possible to help with the applied stress/torque...........wouldn't you want to place the screws farther apart to even the load???

I suspect that Frank would move or lengthen the reinforcement around the inserts when he lays up the board with additional/special inserts. I assume you understand that they don't put the extra inserts in the board after its constructed, correct? They are mounted under the core and reinforced before the board is pressed.

As for the the screws. If its a 4x4 mount, you want them at equal spacings in all directions, or more precisely, 4 cm between the screws. Some boards have inserts spaced at 2 cm longitudinally which gives more options but you still mount them the same as a 4x4.

From the Volkl website:

Insert-Systems

Generally you’re dealing with one of three insert systems: 4x4, 5x2 or 6x2. With a 4x4 system, the inserts are 4 cm apart. With the 5x2 and 6x2 Insert Systems, the insert rows are separated by 2 cm only. This way the stance can be set more exactly – down to the precise centimeter. The 6x2 Insert System is specifically employed in our top freestyle boards to offer individual binding placement. Adjustments on binding discs will be limited to the centering of bindings.

Edited by wvrocks

If a board is worth more than $200 i wouldn't consider cobbling it up with added inserts. They will never be as good as factory installed. When inserts are glass reinforced the glass and resin is displaced over an area larger than the flare of the actual insert almost twice the area, so pulling out or overstressing an added insert is more than a possibility. Adding to the ones already there is assuming you will hit an area in the board with extra glass and resin. Not very likely! On the other hand if you are doing it to experiment and confirm your stance so you can order the correct stance on a new board i would say go for it and tell us how it works out.

Edited by lowrider