Note to New Members ×

HELP! TD3 Stance Width Question??

barryj

I just got a set of TD3 step in's and I can't get the stance width any closer than 19.5 on my Virus Avy FLP AFT.

I ride a 17.5 stance width and the wider stance is to foriegn and to far back.......am I missing something with the install?

I'm thinking I need to add two sets of inserts infront of the rear foot to get 2 more inches forward!

I just got a set of TD3 step in's and I can't get the stance width any closer than 19.5 on my Virus Avy FLP AFT.

I ride a 17.5 stance width and the wider stance is to foriegn and to far back.......am I missing something with the install?

I'm thinking I need to add two sets of inserts infront of the rear foot to get 2 more inches forward!

Hi Barry, this is decided by the snowboard build right? What does the TD3s have to do with the distance , not sure I understand? If the pattern is not where you want it, you can add inserts as you mentioned or perhaps add a plate. You

still may not end up with your preferred setting. Perhaps photos? Explain if you have been able to get 17" on the same board with different bindings?

Thanks for the reply,

I measured c-c. Here is what it looks like on my other board. I'm trying to get the same 17.5 stance width on my Virus Avalanche FLT AFT with the TD3.

This is the exact setup I had on the Virus with the Oxygen 01 Plates.

I can't get the TD3's any closer than 19.5 because of the hole options on the Bomber disk.

post-8098-141842389892_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't reply sooner.....

Here's the board with just the plate....as you can see, at the closest insert settings in the discs I can only get a 19-20 inches stance width at the closest.

I think I need 2 sets of inserts added to get it closer to my desired 17.5. Am I missing something in the install???

post-8098-141842389921_thumb.jpg

post-8098-141842389918_thumb.jpg

post-8098-141842389924_thumb.jpg

Edited by barryj

I do not see how could you have a shorter stance with those Oxygens, on the Virus... They do not offer any longitudinal axis offset, like Bombers, so the minimum stance on the Bombers would be shorter.

Care to mount the Oxygens to the Virus and measure agian?

Other available options are:

Get the F2 bindings, their slot is a bit longer then on TD3;

Get the Burton Raiser Plates, they allow for extra offset, depending which way you turn them;

Be careful with the new inserts... If the board had titanal layers, don't do it.

On the side note, why you ride such steep angles on a wide board?

Blue B,

I use Gilmour bias with the Oxygens, and there's a good inch+ of fore/aft of adjustability with them.....but that shouldn't make the stance that much difference?

No titanal on the carbon Avy. As for the angles/stance - I've tried all widths and less steep angles...this is what works and feels right for the last 10 years

OK, I think I got it, - Here's what I did. I put the old Oxygens on and used a ruler to cross put a cross hatch on the board where my old stance was....then I centered up the TD3's to match the cross hatch on the Virus and the rear plate is off 1 set of inserts!

Man, I hate it when I'm right! So here's the pictures....the white cross hatch is of the rear plate and shows where a set of inserts need to be to match my old stance.

post-8098-141842389935_thumb.jpg

post-8098-141842389933_thumb.jpg

I believe the oxygen bindings you have have a similar mounting plate to the TD3s; you can mount the bindings using any 4 inserts, but you can 'bias' the binding forward or backward in small increments (as you have done with the TD3s) using those 4 screws. Can you show this bit? Maybe it's as mentioned earlier, they have more range of adjustment.

Doing this of course would enable you to bring BOTH feet closer together. If you have moved your front foot forward and your rear foot forward also, so the gap between the two feet is at 20 inches, that's the same as if you did the same on your oxygen bindings. But as many have pointed out, this is with the front binding moved fwd; if you move it backwards (so it matched the rear foot), then the stance width is around 19 inches.

All we need to compare are the mounting systems for the oxygen binding and the TD3; I 'think' you will find they are both about the same in the way they work; you have some degree of bias front and back, and you are going to want to mount your bindings in the 4 inner most holes, then use the rear binding in the fwd most position you can from that set of holes (which you are not doing when you propose to install a new set of inserts, I am guessing you are looking at the 2nd from the end set so there's only 2, not 4). PERHAPS the oxygen has more ability to bias the bindings fwd and aft, but I am not sure you want to have that sort of leverage away from the inserts if you can avoid it, it's a lot of leverage in certain circumstances.

If you show us a picture of what the oxygen binding looks like with the top plate bit removed, then we can easily compare why you are able to get the stance width narrower. My guess is it is slightly narrower but as a result of you moving both feet closer together (not having the front foot centred or pushed forward plus an impossible position on the rear foot pushed forward as you have on the TD3s, but having the rear foot pushed back and the front foot pushed forward as we understand but cannot see as we don't know how the oxygen binding works exactly).

And for what it is worth, that's a very narrow stance; the wider stance feels different, but once you get used to riding like a cowboy for a bit, you will never go back. Also, I would not be second guessing the board maker that the inserts are in the wrong place; you are saying this on the basis of where you stand on the F2, or on the basis of being able to make the stance narrower on your o2 bindings?

OK, I think I got it, - Here's what I did. I put the old Oxygens on and used a ruler to cross put a cross hatch on the board where my old stance was....then I centered up the TD3's to match the cross hatch on the Virus and the rear plate is off 1 set of inserts!

It's the setback. The FLP is all mountain board that considered all conditions such as POW. So the insert holes may configured that way. If you want to ride centered, only way would be move your front foot forward with the given inserts. I haven't found any reliable shop to add inserts on my deck yet. My dilema is widening stance.

The photo shows the Virus with a 20" minimum stance width, ignoring anything bindings might give you. That's on the innermost sets of inserts. If you don't want to use the innermost on the front, you are making a self-imposed larger minimum. Now a 17.5" requires the bindings to compensate by 2.5" (or more) inward, or 1.25" on each binding. If you don't want to use the offset on the front, the back has to compensate the full amount. I (and I guess the other posters) have a hard time believing that any binding offers 2.5" inward adjustment (that would be 5" overall if things are symmetric, like the TD3s). And if they do, it can't be a very good idea, as kipstar said already. (In fact, I think kipstar made these points; I'm just highlighting them.)

As BlueB says, showing the Oxygens mounted to the Virus with the mounting screws exposed and the measuring tape would clear a lot up.

I just try to adjust to the board's idea of how I should be set up. With a 35" inseam you'll get used to a slightly wider stance quickly, and probably find a benefit in better behavior of the board (weight not as concentrated in the center) -- that's how the board is designed after all.

Here's a couple of other photos:

[ATTACH]34264[/ATTACH]

Here's the 17.5 width on the Virus........I can't get the TD3's stance width any closer than 19.5

[ATTACH]34265[/ATTACH]

Are you measuring two different boards? The binding distances is not the same between these two pictures.

Thanks for all the input guys!

DonP - your right, the distance between the bindings of the twomboards isn't the same! Somehow I thought I measured it as the same, but I put the Oxygens back on the Virus and it's closer to 19 inches......which makes sense.....it's two differant boards....it can't measure the same!

So my solution is as I mentioned and showed above to find and mark the center of the Oxygens on the Virus and line up the TD's in that centered spot...which shows I need another set of inserts to match the settings with the Oxygens.....................at least that is what I've come up with?