Note to New Members ×

Need advice - Should I upgrade from a Burton Factory Prime

pmorita

Hi all,

I know that the new stuff is better and sexy, but is it worth the money to move from my beloved Factory Prime 171 to a new Donek or Prior? As there is no East Coast demo center that I am aware of, it would be a big leap of faith for me so any prior experience or advice would be appriciated.

Thanks

I know that the new stuff is better............. but is it worth the money

Yes, it is worth the money. Don't make the mistake I made, and stick with decades old equipment for way too long. If money is an issue, you can always find some great gear in the for sale section. Take the leap of faith.

The Coiler I bought this year is a significant upgrade from the one I bought in 2005, and that one was already 20 years ahead of what you have. Try them out at a session if you can but IMO the new equipment is very, very nice.

The big leaps in the last few years have been the addition of metal, variable sidecut radius, decambered noses and board shape in general. Design right now is at a bit of a plateau, so IMO it's a good time to buy.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I was going to ask the same question about whether a new board is worth it. I'm riding a 15+ year old Rossi and have a blast on it. What exactly makes the new boards better? I am definitely open to something new, but don't want to piss away money when I should be working on my technique instead.

A modern metal board with decamber is worth EVERY penny. My riding improved by leaps and bounds once I got on a metal coiler, it's just that much more forgiving than any glass board that I rode prior to it.

Article below explains the difference in technology very well.

http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Bomberfiles/the_new_hotness.html

I have made a switch from old FP era boards to an SG180 raceboard (modern decambered nose, metal, tapered shape) this season.

The difference is massive. For a start, an older board ends up gradually more and more dead and soft, so you don't notice how much more work is needed to acheive the same turn nor do you realise how poor the edge hold at speed is becoming.

On the modern board, the edge hold is simply frigging amazing; you can ALWAYS count on it to bite. Unlike the oxy 178 which really hooks into each turn, the modern boards I think as a result of the shape and the taper, you can adjust and do little pivots during the turn easily going in and out of a carve rather than the very 2 mode style of the older boards; they are either carving or sliding and hard to go from one to the other as easily. The variable sidecut means you can adjust turn size a little more easily.

The metal just sucks up ruts, variable terrain and as a result, I find I have more energy to ride since it is less tiring (which means alternatively you can push the board harder for longer). Which means you can ride a slightly longer board with less sidecut (the SG180 has a lot less sidecut than the oxygen) on the same terrain.

You do lose a little in that poppy feel of the older glass boards as you go longer; my guess is a board like the 168 Kessler/170 SG or the Donek Proteus especially is able to add that pop back into the turn partly from (this is all guessing now) construction and partly because of the additional sidecut.

For me....no turning back; I only ride a few days every few years and the metal board is the difference of riding several days in a row vs. needing to take days off in the middle to catch my breath.

Edited by kipstar
more info

Thanks for the thorough response. The ability to ride in chop is particularly appealing. I don't ride my carving setup much since it feels so squirrelly unless there's courduroy or hardpack. I thought that was just the nature of carving boards so I look forward to trying gear that can work in the non ideal carving conditions we have here in western Washington.

Who has a modern board they want to unload for a 155 lb rider???

• 2 weeks later...

So to put closure on this thread, just received my Coiler Nirvana Energy 174 today and sold my Factory Prime. Can't wait to get out and see what snowboarding in the 21st century is like.

Thanks to all who provided the advice and motiviation.