Note to New Members ×

Coiler Metal EX (Extreme Carve)

Mike T

This is a review of an EX 175 demo that I took out for 3 or so runs at SES. The sidecut is 14/16.

I've never been one for extreme carve stye riding, but I came closer to achieving it on this board than any other. It felt remarkably stable for a 175cm deck and turned remarkably tight for its sidecut. The 22 cm waist width is wider than I would normally ride (all my alpine boards are 19.8 - 20 waists) and that extra waist width made it a little tiring to ride. Even so it was a fun ride, very grippy, and very stable. It did not pop me from turn to turn which is what allowed me to attempt EC turns. When ridden using my more usual technique and style, it was a capable FC board that felt stable and wide.

I also took this board for a ride. The first few easy turns were far from easy! It felt like the board was 28 cm wide and I was levering it up off the snow. (yes, toes & heels were on the edges) Then I chucked it into some deep turns and came away smiling. Wow, this board was FUN! I seriously considered buying it on the spot. I'm usually a pretty big believer in adapting to whatever you have on your feet and riding however you want, but this board opened up a door to EC-style riding I hadn't found with my other boards.

It's on my list of boards to get someday. I never did try to ride it anywhere other than a steeper blue run, and I was having too much fun dragging body parts in push-pull carving to try a more upright riding style. I still want one.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this old thread. I bought a 175 EC or EX and rode it for a few days at SES. Wow, this board eats up soft push piles! It was a snowy SES, so this board quickly became my default choice for afternoon riding once everything got bumped up. Let's see:

Made for lay-down carving on perfect groom- check

Eats up chopped-up powder - check

Floats pretty well in powder due to extra width - check

Sounds too good to be true! I did notice that the 22 cm waist is a little tiring over a full day when compared to a 20 waist board when the snow is hard.

For comparison, my 182 Coiler NSR has a wider variety of possible turn shapes, but it isn't fun to ride in really soft snow. It's tough deciding between those two when there's good groom to be had. Talk about a first-world problem!

I was mentioning to Bruce that I didn't care for the Nirvana models that everyone else seemed to love, he smiled and said that the EC is extremely similar to a Nirvana, but with minor changes. I guess I haven't been on a Nirvana built for the proper weight range. If I had to buy either an EC or an NSR, it'd come down to my local snow conditions:

Soft snow - EC.

Hard groom - tough choice. Take the NSR if you prefer the more upright race style. Take the EC if you want to drag your nipples on the snow.

• 10 months later...

Another bump:

I'm still loving this Coiler EC too! It surprises me with its versatility. It's quickly becoming my go-to board for Blue or Black runs, regardless of snow condition. My NSR sits in the car most days, unless I feel like going fast. The EC is eager to start and finish turns with a variety of shapes.

The same buddy that filmed me on my Angrry (http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/36947-angrry-160-first-ride/?p=415615) caught up to me at a different ski hill. This is the widest and steepest run I have access to without a plane ride or multi-day drive. Not bad for the prairies!

• Like 1