Note to New Members ×

Soft boot carving equipment compatibility

Scotty Pumpkins

Current setup:

Salomon frs (160)

Burton driver boots

Burton cfx bindings

Was thinking of upgrading my bindings to the 2013 salomon caliber a but no one local sells them, which leaves online as the only purchase option. Normally I would look to bring my boots to the shop to make sure they fit properly. Since that's not an option I figured I'd turn to you guys for advice. I know most of you ride plates and hard boots but I was hoping someone might have knowledge about the caliber binding and the compatibility of the driver boots with the salomon bindings.

Thanks everyone!

the Driver X boots will work with the Calibers fine, Malamutes worked better for me. but I did not like the Calibers that much, they were not that stiff, and i noticed that they flexed a bit, and the base plates could be twisted or bent pretty easily. they were 10-11 models, I am not sure what this years are like.

FLOW NXT-FRX. The closest to a hardboot feeling you can get. I did grind off a corner on my front foot on the heel to prevent boot out but any traditional/heelcup design is much worse. The most positive/locked in felling and aluminum and carbon construction. Takes a day of fiddling to get the right but once correct. oh ya! I am riding a custom donek/hardboot specific 165 bamboo core with 155cm eff edge 23.5 wide and love it! 27f x 18r. Thanks to Scrapster, I will be adding some power plates to the mix!

3G53M83F95Ea5K25F4d15d118de65e9c310d8.jpg

Edited by slopestar
photo

Happy to help! I actually saw your board at Sean's factory, ready to ship out. The plates will be perfect for it.

FLOW NXT-FRX. The closest to a hardboot feeling you can get. I did grind off a corner on my front foot on the heel to prevent boot out but any traditional/heelcup design is much worse. The most positive/locked in felling and aluminum and carbon construction. Takes a day of fiddling to get the right but once correct. oh ya! I am riding a custom donek/hardboot specific 165 bamboo core with 155cm eff edge 23.5 wide and love it! 27f x 18r. Thanks to Scrapster, I will be adding some power plates to the mix!

3G53M83F95Ea5K25F4d15d118de65e9c310d8.jpg

I have not tried the newest vesion of the flows. However I had the NXT-FSE, but was never satisfied with the fit. I could not get I tight enough without making it impossible to enter the binding... Boots were Flows Rift.

Now I have the Catek FR2 and Driver X, which I am very pleased with.

The Nidecker carbon ICT is also a nice binding, but I think the price is a little too high compared to the quality (I just broke one of their high-backs yesterday, so my judgement might be a little of :)

Any other hillbilly engineer their boots like me? I have heavily fortified my softies with plastic from home depot buckets. I can get 10-12 days before they break, another $2.38 and Im on my way. Boots are Deeluxe ID with a fabbed shell between liner and outer boot, Wish I could find the TPS stiffeners but been unsuccessful in the states, even contacted deeluxe direct without luck. I am a hillbilly but it functions fairly well. :freak3:

Slopestar, it look like there is a third strap on the board on the right?? I would like to add something to my softy carver. Think I saw a picture of some another BOL member made but can't find it

This Works well for me... http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?38925-Soft-boot-carver-dont-want-to-swtich-to-hard-boots-need-3-strap-bindings

Hmmmm, where would I find some EPS sheets?

Funny, I had a thought of using Raichle/ Deeluxe boot tounges riveted onto binding straps, but thought it would need to be a Flow type to be able to get into it.

Ill find out soon enough how the ancient Rosignol boots I picked up work. LOL