Note to New Members ×

Axis.vs.AllMtn.vs.4WD...Ok...I've read the reviews...

fishrising

Guest arkyaker

Hi all, obviously I'm new here, and for all intents and pourposes, new to carving. I'v had hard boots and plates for about 6 yrs, but they are mounted on a really old rad air obsession, and I get very few rides in each year.

What do you all think of the Donek Axis? That was suggested to me, and it seams as though its quite tough to demo carving boards, so I am trying to mitigate the risk in just purchasing the first thing that was suggested. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

I own one of each, an Axis 172 and a Coiler AM 182 custom. I've got countless days on the Axis and one day on the Coiler thus far.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have a pretty good idea that I'm going to wind up liking the Coiler better but it is a custom after all, so that should be expected.

Overall, my Coiler 182 is about the same stiffness as the Axis 172 which is by design. The flex pattern is all different though - Coiler has a stiffer nose, Axis has a stiffer mid-section, both seem to have roughly the same amount of snap in the tail. (I have ridden them on consecutive days)

The Coiler is definitely damper and also seems to hook up more easily when carving. I haven't taken it off the groomed for more than a few meters at once yet so I can't comment on that.

The Donek isn't as damp but if you aggressivley set ity on edge it holds like a demon. It's a bit wide for my tastes for carving. But the width becomes very welcome off the groomed. It freerides very well in up to 6 or 8 inches of fresh, where there is some support if I wind up more on edge than I wanted to be and I can get the nose back up if I need to. More than 8 inches and I find I really have to keep my speed up and pay attention to keeping my upper body over the board. It holds its own in trees although the stiff mid section makes it some work.

Keep in mind my Coiler is a full-on custom that was explicitly designed for riding on fresh-over groomed, slush and corn - it is designed such that I can carve as much as possible in less-than-form conditions and do some freeeriding as well.

As pointed out by trikerdad the lead time on the Axis is a *LOT* shorter.

I have never ridden the Prior but everything I hear says it's just as nice a board perhaps a little more off-piste oriented than the Axis and "typical" Coiler AM but not much.

IMHO the Axis makes a great choice as a "first hardboot board" because it performs so well on the groomers, but is more versatile than a standard alpine board, and even if you decide you do want a skinner stiffer alpine board later, you will *never* outgrow your Axis, and will probably be very glad you have it for days when there's some fresh to be had but you still want to do some carving as well. BTW the workmanship on both boards is absolutely top notch to boot.

i ride both the Prior 4X4 and a Coiler 177 AM - Both are great boards and like them equally. Not much of a Donek fan. I suspect you'd be happy with either of them. Coiler may take a while to get - Prior you can get quick and Chris Prior's customer service is great also. Check out their used/demo boards on their site and save many $$$.

Hope this helps and have a great year - I have had 3 birdies already since there is no snow here.

Daggone - I'm demo'ing an FC2 163 and an Axis 162 in a few weeks - my heart really wants the FC to be my new ride (ie, pure carving board), but its "Axis, Axis, Axis" that people keep talking up! :-) Gonna have to keep a very open mind when I ride the two boards!

Who else can expound upon the virtues of the Axis - to un-sway my somewhat FC-swayed mind?!? :-)

I plan to have only one board, and like riding everything (but carving hard and deep every possible chance I get!) - it really does sound like the Axis can do it all... How is it on quick, repeated edge-to-edge transitions? (proper term seems to be "cross-under"?)

I don't know what size boots you wear or what angles you like. The Axis is wider than a FC is going to be and that would affect the transition time. The Axis 182 is quick enough for me but I wear 29's and even at 60 and 55 I'm right on the edges of the board. If you have small feet and like big angles you may want something a little narrower. Then again it might be nice to try riding at something like 55 and 50 which should make a board feel quicker.

I'm not sure what the euro/mondo size of my boots are, but I have a size 9 US foot, so its not a huge boot (and the heel and toe are pretty seriously up-turned on the bottom). I use 63/55 on my Alp (soon to be 63/58 due to tips learned here on Bomber!) and have a little bit of rear boot overhang, but not enough to actually drag in the snow, even at extreme angulation. I suspect that those angles on the Axis would leave me w/ a good bit of 'under-hang', so as you say, it could possibly end up being too wide for the angles that I'm used to (but I suppose I could always adjust...)

I've been riding alpine for a long time now, but I'm not a bit tinkerer as far as my setup - I've never really played around w/ my angles since I got them dialed-in to the settings they're currently at (and which I find very effective for carving the Alp) I'll have to experiment w/ the shallower angles when I try the Axis and see how it feels. By 'making the board feel quicker' w/ the shallower angles, what are you referring to specifically? (ie, its looser because I'm doing more of a front-back than side-to-side motion w/ my body? or I'm standing sideways on the board, so warp 6 actually feels like warp 9 'cause I'm no longer facing forward? :-)

Thanks!

The Axis is a 21.5 waist same as the Alp, so you can run the same angles. The Coiler AM can be had in 3 different widths. I was fortunate when I bought mine 2 years ago, it only took 2 months to get it but was definitely worth the wait. I've got the 172/23 waist and an Alp 171, there is no comparison between the two, the Coiler is quicker responding and waaay more stable at speed - never gets nervous or gives the impression of being ready to fold like the Alp. I went with the wide because I wear a 29.5 boot and I like a more relaxed angle.

IMO the closer your toes and heels are to the edges of the board, the easier it is to pressure them and start the transition. Having said that, I think you should use angles you're comfortable with and pick a board width that puts you close to the edges at those angles. For those of us with big feet, we don't have many options while those of you with size 9 US do.

The specs for these boards are all similar in terms of length/effective edge/sidecut radius/width - note similar not identical bit I think the only guy giving stiffness specs is Sean at Donek.

I am looking at buying one of these in March/April - which is the softest/ stiffest and is there any difference in how the flex is distributed on the length of the board?

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

has anyone had a custom 4x4 done w/quad glass/carbon layup, or a Coiler AM built with the superboard? Curious to see what the difference would be in the handling of the board. Looking to the future when I can finally get a new board!

I briefly considered having my AM built Superboard, but Bruce recommended standard construction. He thought standard would be more versatile due to lower weight and also the extra dampening might be counter-productive off-piste. Having spent a day on the board in the exact kind of snow it was designed and intedned for, I think it was the right call to skip the Superboard.

Originally posted by nigelc

I am looking at buying one of these in March/April - which is the softest/ stiffest and is there any difference in how the flex is distributed on the length of the board?

Any of them can have a custom flex; it'll cost extra w/ Donek and Prior and comes standard w/ Coiler.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my Coiler is softer in the middle and stiffer in the nose than my Axis, about the same stiffness in the tail. Actually quite similar in "overall amount of stiffness" but with very different feels.

While talking with Chris and Sean at Prior, I mentioned that I would like a stiffer nose on a board but love the versatility of the 4x4. They totally recommended the quadglass. It is supposed to stiffen up the board more as well as increase the tortional stiffness so that the boards holds through the turn.