Note to New Members ×

The best montain

slight

If you just want to go carve that'd be Nakiska. It's got great grooming and wide open runs. Fairly crowded on the weekends so I'd hit it mid-week.

Dave

Edit: Though the snow isn't near as good this year as it was last year, here's a thread from last season when Serge came out to ride.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?34094-Recommendation-for-Banff

Edited by Puddy Tat
I'm an idiot?

+1 if you just want to carve, Nakiska. But I get bored there pretty quickly.

I saw on the Quebec ride board that you were at Sunshine yesterday and were disappointed at the lack of carving runs. If there has been fresh snow there is usually nothing groomed at Sunshine, but if it's been dry for a few days and they have had the groomers out you can find some nice stuff off Goat's Eye, and of course there's the wide-open stuff off Great Divide chair.

Best mountain overall if the snow is good is Lake Louise. You can find some nice carving there too, check out the Larch chair on the backside for nice blue runs, or on the frontside you can check out Mens Downhill and Ladies Downhill for more challenging runs. There's a bunch of good blue runs on the front too, get there early.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

Sad that you didn't like Sunshine. I rode all over the hill on Sunday on carving gear and had a blast. They had a few runs closed on Goat's Eye, but Wildfire and Sunshine Coast were stellar, and the runs off the Divide chair were not mogul fields for once.

Sunshine's not steep, which is the only problem. If you're looking for steep, wide and groomed you're not going to find it there.

Louise does have some great carving, as Neil says, but I was there over a week ago and it was bulletproof. And they've had no new snow since then, so I hate to think what it's like now. Nakiska might be much the same with this warm spell, but that would be the pick of the local hills at the moment.

We just assume everything was groomed overnite .Comming from the east i was surprised how little grooming there was at Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise compared to the east. But then compare the number of riders vs terrain. Your best choice for groomed runs is best based on information from the resort as to the runs they groomed the previous nite. Most post a grooming report or phone and check with staff at the resort.

Sunshine's not steep, which is the only problem.
Sunshine's plenty steep, but you're right - none of the steep stuff is groomed. If you want steep and groomed, top section of Men's Downhill at Louise is the steepest among those three hills, but it's short. The top section of North Axe at Nakiska is steep-ish but also short. Red Crow at Nakiska is fun but not very steep.

We just assume everything was groomed overnite .Comming from the east i was surprised how little grooming there was at Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise compared to the east. But then compare the number of riders vs terrain.
It's also a matter of preference - if you asked most of the advanced skiers or riders if they were interested in groomers, the overwhelming response would be no. Not a lot of market for slalom skis in the Banff area, it's mostly big mountain gear.

I agree with Lowrider, I was amazed to see in Aspen how well the runs stayed even with 2 days without grooming.

Here in the east we can't get away with that. Even more, some mountain groom twice a day other wise the mountain is impossible to ride and it's not a matter of preference.

Isabelle if you can find a local carver they will take you to the best run. That is your best bet.

I was there today, it was about 0 +- a few degrees. The hill was empty excepting the seniors groups, a few racers, and 55 kids from my school that won't be there tomorrow! The snow conditions were not too bad. Snow is reasonably soft but got crunchy after the sun went down behind the trees. Watch for the top of the slopes right after flat sections. It was a bit windy today and the snow was getting blown off those sections and quite icy down under. I didn't head up top (Gold chair) due to being with the kids, but it's usually pretty good. Overall, I'd say it was a good day (especially when getting paid to be there!) Eat at the restaurant upstairs. Some of the kids felt sick after lunch (gravy, chicken fingers maybe).

[ATTACH]33371[/ATTACH]

Hmm the grooming looks a little off for Nakiska.

Glad you had fun. That's my pretty much my favourite hill to go rip on a carving deck the grooming is normally incredible, and you can count on most of the hill being well groomed.

Cheers,

Dave

Back when I was a jibber we hardly ever went here because we were of the opinion that they pretty much groomed the whole mountain flat. Now... it's like having a blank canvas for carving decks.

Edited by Puddy Tat

J'ai vu nos amis du Québec à cheval aujourd'hui. Grande circonscription gars! J'espère que le français a un sens. The Jasey Jay board and plate look sweet.

On a related note, the snow at Nakiska is dying. If you're going up over the weekend, go early, it got quite crispy around 2.

Glad to see you. We will be there on Wednesday morning. Today we are going to Lake louise. That's a lot of board 9 days, we begin to be tired. I have a breakdown in the left thigh that makes me very hurt. I continue because I trip. Must suffer! We returned to Quebec on ​​Thursday morning.