Note to New Members ×

Sunapee - USASA race 1-9-05

M.Nash

Sunapee always races on the bottom of the Flying Goose Trail(in front of the old lodge) Good pitch medium width. They do set a GS and a SL however that has been known to change at the last minute and there is really no difference between the two courses set even if term'd a GS or SL. Between races they simply flip-flop the gates to the other side of the trail. This means that at the closing point of the two courses after every gates there is usually a good size rut you have to crose over.

Get there early because registration is a nightmare and bring lots of cash because you have to sign up with USASA and then pay for your racing which also includes a lift ticket. Forget about riding the rest of the mountain with your ticket because the whole thing takes all day.

Last year it was neg 10 with no wind chill and everyone was freezing waiting for their run. It is mostly a kids race, once you get over 18 the divisions are pretty sparce. I'm 32 and had two other racers in my class, I cleaned house with two golds, big deal. Sunapee out of all the other mountains(in NH) holding USASA events has the best race course and I believe they usually hold a second event later in the season. Anymore questions?

Eric

I will be going. I race in the 40-49 age group,(I am currently 44) we usually has 6-8 racers in this age bracket. You can compare your times with all of the other racers at the event usually 45 or more. I just try and beat my kids times (Ben 14, Millie 12). Ben is usually faster than me and Millie has been known to beat her old man, however this year I have been training harder and they both are going down (if not I may make them walk home). The trail at Sunapee is a fun hill to race on, fast but not intimidating. They usually set GS in the AM and SL in the PM. If you get there early you can avoid some of the wait at registration. Racing USASA has been a lot of fun for me and my family. Hope to see you there.

You can register for USASA at the event. They do have a one day option but if you want to do more events you may want to consider the seasonal registration. Sharpen and wax your board. Some people wear protective gear and speed suits most do not. Helmets are required. for more info go to: https://www.usasa.org/series/series.lasso?-token=browse&SeriesCode=newhampshire&-maxRecords=1&-database=regions.fp3&-layout=region_info&-search

As a co- director of the Mass series, I wish to extend my invite to bob to join us...

some of the benefits:

1. Closer to home (sometimes)

2. fewer competitors means better chance at qualifying for nationals.

3. if you sign up for partial membership, then decide to go to full...you only pay the balance...

all others should join us too...

Just joined USASA for the first time myself.

Having a ball getting beat by 14 - 20 year olds coming out of the Stratton Mountain School. I'm finding I can hold my own in the SL events but just don't have the skills, or maybe "the guts" to keep up in the GS.

My $.02... The program is run extremely well. I'm having fun and learning a ton.

I haven't done a USASA race in two years but I can tell you the Southern Vermont Series events are fun and well organized. I imagine the folks in NH put on an equally good show.

Regarding classes, they're done on an age basis. Hard to believe but the "Seniors" category is age 23-29, Masters are 30-39, Legends 40-49, Kahuna 50-59, and (I'm not making this up) Methuseah 60+. I did my first and only halfpipe competition two years ago as a 56 year old and I wasn't the only guy in my class.

Running real snowboard gates as opposed to ski-type GS gates is a treat. The only downside is waiting around for your turn.

I may try to get over there Sunday.

Pat

I rode today with temps in the 40s. I like spring riding at the end of the season when my legs are built up, but at this point at least there is snow. I'll be riding Wed as well. I rode Flying Goose Race trail today and it has a good amount of snow(man-made) on it and while the NH valleys got rain the mountain got 1-2 inches of new heavy snow. I was carving right through about 4 inches to solid base under all the mush. I left some deep ruts for the skiers.

Thursday looks like the first big storm and it will give the groomers a chance to work it into the man-made by Sunday Race time.

Right now Upper Goose has no moguls and is wide open for carving, and its right under the lift for even more Wow! factor.

Every Sunapee race has been excellent they do a great job and it is the easiest drive from Mass.

I plan on attending.

Noah, if you want to come I've to the spare room.

Eric

geoff-

USASA is a national membership. Info on cost and whatnot for can be found here:

http://www.usasa.org/series/series.lasso?-token=browse&SeriesCode=massachusetts&-maxRecords=1&-database=regions.fp3&-layout=region_info&-search

If you are thinking of coming out, and want to get here the night before, we are trying to do the get dialed clinic with gilmour the night before...

So what size SL and GS boards do people use ? I'm 6-3 200 lbs and have a 163 SL and 173 GS do you think they would work ? Both are Volkl's and also have an older 168 GS as well a 184 Prior World Cup custom. Have would be the hot set up? Need Help !!!!

Im planning on being there sunday. All decked out, just got a new GS suit and Ive been massaging the board all week. In Response to M. Nash's question, Im bringing my Coiler 184 PR II, but Im only entering the GS (for now). I'll be in the 16 & 17 category. Im really looking forward to meeting all of you and riding with some of you.

-Justin

PS Whats a banked Slalom?

________

Buy Silver Surfer Vaporizer

I rode the first hour today and the snow was incredible. I rode the lift over flying goose and it looks sweet. We should also be getting a few inches on Saturday which may effect the conditions on Sunday but it is supposed to be a beautiful day.

I have to work the morning so I'm not racing I also don't need to spend the coin. I'll be at the mountain around 1:30 and will stop by to see the second race.

The GS is a medium width course with gates set at a natural truning distance. I've always raced both courses at Sunapee on my 180. I would bring a small SL board just incase they actually set a tight one.

Again get there early, get registered and get out on the mountain. The entire lower flying goose trail will be closed for the race and once the course is set you have some time to slip it.

There are still no moguls on Upper flying goose and it is wide open for some monster carves.

Good Luck to all who attend.

Eric

Thanks for the update. Every other time I have raced there the trail leading to the race course has been bumped up. It will be nice to get some turns coming down to the course. My Wife usually helps Cindy Guldemond with the registration so we will be there early. If any new riders have any questions about the format of the race or USASA feel free to ask me or Paul Guldemond (he will be the event TD). Note to new riders: get your tickets at registration. They usually have a reduced rate ticket available to competitors.