Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line 2012/13

kieran

At my local slope today (Yad Moss North England, very small, one lift but has a piste basher and sweet cord) and a nice gentleman says to me "You are the first person I have seen here all season who can ride a snowboard".

Another young kid on his reverse camber jib stick asked me what I was riding. At that point I had retired my SG and was on my old PJ7 (for old times sake and it still rocks). Its hard enough explaining modern carving equipment so it took me a while to explain I was riding an antique. He was a cool kid though and thought my set up railed. He was right!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At Fernie Ski hill today liftie " Oh! Rocking it old school with the old board". As I am riding my Donek Proteus. Which was my first time on it. And I love it.

I wonder what she would say if I brought out my Burton 1980's cruser.

At my local slope today (Yad Moss North England, very small, one lift but has a piste basher and sweet cord) and a nice gentleman says to me "You are the first person I have seen here all season who can ride a snowboard".

Another young kid on his reverse camber jib stick asked me what I was riding. At that point I had retired my SG and was on my old PJ7 (for old times sake and it still rocks). Its hard enough explaining modern carving equipment so it took me a while to explain I was riding an antique. He was a cool kid though and thought my set up railed. He was right!

you mean you weren't in a neon onesie as well?

Background - i just started hardbooting this year (softbooting since '95). Here are two from my own experience on the same day a couple of months ago:

Story 1: I got a comment from other snowboarding parent – “Wow, I’ve never seen that before, its kind of like a monoski”. I reply “Well, it’s a snowboard that is supposed to afford higher speeds and more aggressive carving for its rider (right?)” - emphasis on the “supposed to” since if he watched me go down he wouldn’t see anything special from me.</SPAN>

Story 2: A little later in the day I got off the lift and flipped my toe clips up to get ready to go down the (550' vertical) hill. One softbooting teen looks at me and my hardboots and points it out to his buddy, another softbooting teen. “Sick!” he says. This was pretty cool to me. I’ve been a decent softbooter for the last 15 years but I doubt anyone has ever referred to anything I did (on or off my board) as "sick" especially now that I’m in my 40’s– this was definitely a compliment to me. I tried to contain a smile, perhaps a blush, but realized that the comment was more about the hardbooting gear than the rider.

Thus as I dropped off the lip and went down, I thought to myself that the only real possible follow up to "sick" as these teens watched me go down the hill was “...lame…”

(PS If I were to guess I think these two teens were going to stick to softbooting) </SPAN>

(PPS - i'm a little better now!)

On a recent trip to Mammoth, I overheard a young son and father's conversation behind me. Son - "Is that a mono ski?", to which his father replied "No, it's a carving board. That is a serious board for powerful turning". To which his son replied - "Wow, can I get one Dad". I turned around and told them about BOL. :biggthump

Edited by Gcarve

I was at the lift-line gate, waiting for another chair to go by to put space between me and the newbies who had problems while loading, and Mr liftie says "Come on out Mr. hardbooter", and then just as the chair sweeps around he says "Alpine, the dark side of snowboarding".

I was at the lift-line gate, waiting for another chair to go by to put space between me and the newbies who had problems while loading, and Mr liftie says "Come on out Mr. hardbooter", and then just as the chair sweeps around he says "Alpine, the dark side of snowboarding".

Come on over to the dark side.... we have cookies!

Not in the lift line, but today was the last day on our home mountain, Powderhorn, and as we were carving some turns down a run called Maverick, we stopped by a skier and he asked "ARE YOU GUYS SURFERS CAUSE THATS WHAT YOU GUYS LOOK LIKE YOU ARE DOING". We were surfing the slush today at Powderhorn.

My thoughts yesterday...i'm still learning alpine snowboarding...and i'm fed-up controlling speed...

...conditions good soft spring snow...not too many people in the way...soft landing if I get it wrong....what a blast I had...all day:p

The park rats were coming off the rollers at some speed ...whilst I came round the side of the rollers and was overtaking a lot of them, keeping up at other times..as we're heading towards the queue...all I was getting all day...was them looking at me and then looking at my board with a look of disbelief..but after a while ai got a couple of 'nods'...some kind of acknowledgment I think, and another was chatting to me as he knew it was a carving board, saying "it's good to see a board like that, you just don't ever see them".

Even a few skiers were behaving in the same way, looking at me and wondering how I managed to overtake them..hahaha...

...oh boy did I have a fun day...i'm beginning to understand why you guys n gals like alpine boards...and I think i'm beginning to develop a 'need for speed':lol:

A slight tangent, here's a 3 min video of comp. held on this park at Cairngorm a few Weeks ago

Edited by floBoot

While riding my Donek Proteus with the python top sheet on April 20:

"Yo, sick board" - lift operator

"What is that, a ski-board?" - random hot chick with douche bag jibber BF

"Nice carves" - skier on the chair from above

"So you're the one putting the half moon ruts down the run" - skier in the lift line

"Dude, that board is so sick" - jibber drooling on my topsheet.

"Why can't you just go straight?" - pissed off open coater

Edited by breesej