Spirit Mountain 2012/2013

rwmaron

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russ and Ken, great updates and pic's from out West....yeah Russ, cool head on shot on that heel side, very sweet. Ken, keep the pics and updates coming.

Hope you're back on your feet Dave. I could not get out all weekend so that midweek blast looks like my end of the season. Russ and Dave, my week is in fluid motion, right now. Please post when you are heading anywhere and I will simply glom on or meet you as possible last minute. I may be up the shore this week at some point to Grand Marais for a site visit that is not firm yet.

Dave, either way, pass off that last flash drive and I will piece the season together. I will return your flash drives before next season...maybe when you are up this way on the boat effort we can all meet for mid season lunch, brews, wine, other....

Keep me in the loop.

Truly the end of the season boys :(.....I am committed to a Duluth based meeting now on Thursday. Thanks for keeping me in mind. Dave, if you have any Vid clips remaining then, please slip the flash drive to Russ.

Have fun and talk to you all soon I hope.

Started on Bridge Run early in flat light, but fairly good snow conditions, the moved over to Moose where we found an underlying icy layer. Went back over to Bridge for the better snow.....later in the morning the sun came out so we headed back to Moose and found much better conditions until things got chopped up near the end of the day.

Overall, a day well spent. I'm ready to put my gear up for the summer and start cycling.

Russ

Well the cycling bit hasn't panned out yet due to the weather so instead I dug out some old backcountry telemark gear and spent the morning at Spirit skiing down and climbing (with skins) back up. A couple of inches of fresh new snow on top of a firm consistent base made for good conditions, though my tele skills were a bit rusty. Would have been good conditions for backcountry boarding as well.

April132013011_zpsb2703195.jpg

If I'd known that Ken was in the chalet, I would have stopped in to say hello!

Sorry folks, but more snow in the forecast!

Russ

A host of other factors are considered when choosing a closing date months in advance including the planned lay-off of seasonal workers and unemployment - they may have other plans, liability insurance, utilities as well as previous years experience with weather and attendance.

Still, I wouldn't object if they were open on the weekends till it becomes unfeasible.

Plan to come up to Spirit tomorrow. Anyone coming out to play?

Be prepared for a variety of snow conditions; windy today (once the snow stopped); I suspect you'll find some wind scoured areas and some areas of deep new snow. Low temps in the teens forecast for tonight.

What the hell.....I'll give it a try (on tele skis or softies). Let me know when you'll be out.

Russ

Started around 11 and I quickly determined that my tele skis were not the optimal equipment for the day; Dave on the other hand nailed it with his choice of the Nomad and hardboots:

April202013001_zpsbfe4261f.jpg

I'd penetrate the wind crust anytime I tried to turn, so we hiked it back up and I made an equipment change and Dave tweaked his kit. The wide Incline (and softboots) provided enough flotation so that I only occasionally broke through the crust, plus the bright sun had begun to soften things a bit - we also figured out that the lower sections of the hill had more consistent conditions.

April202013017_zpsb2e71f1f.jpg

The best conditions were on Double Jaw and Sissor Bill; we even took advantage of the new chalet by stopping in for a light lunch. Fortunately, we didn't meet up with this fellow:

April202013023_zps769f3a29.jpg

The bright sun made it feel warmer than the mid 30's - we regularly shed gear on the hikes back up.

April202013012_zps09d12755.jpg

Forecast is for a few more inches of snow tomorrow; we may get a few more chances to make some turns.

April202013025_zps98f9fbfe.jpg

Russ

Edited by rwmaron