Spirit Mountain 2012/2013

rwmaron

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-8510-14184239247_thumb.jpgSix runs/5 hours=the amount of runs done in 1 hour when the lift is running. Each decent felt shorter than the one before and each ascent longer. After the first run things softened up and got nice and surfy Beautiful day, all the effort to walk up made the reward all the sweeter, much like it will feel when spring finally arrives.

post-8510-141842392464_thumb.jpg

post-8510-141842392467_thumb.jpg

I parked near the top of the Gandy lift late this afternoon and rode Cinder Snapper for about an hour and a half; bright sun, 6-8 inches of soft snow on top of the consistent old groomed base - keep your weight back and surf to your heart's content!

April232013008_zps609a404a.jpg

BigWaveDave was out earlier in the day (I know this because he called me at work to tell me how much fun he was having); hopefully he'll file a trip report as well.

I'm planning a couple of hours more late Thursday afternoon.

Russ

Conditions continue to improve, IMO. Started at 4pm and found 4-6 inches of soft corn snow on top of the firm, consistent old groomed base. They've pushed the snow away from the chalet - preparation for putting up the deck used for weddings, I'd guess so the very top of Bindle Stiff and Sky Hooker aren't accessible:

April252013001_zps03f45d86.jpg

I got in two runs each on Cinder Snapper/Bear Claw, Blue Ruin, Sky Hooker, and Bindle Stiff:

April252013005_zpsc5861d03.jpg!

I could find a pretty good track up each run, so was able to walk easily without snowshoes. The term surfalicious comes to mind!!

April252013004_zps77f3f521.jpg

Ken - I'd be up for another crack at it on Saturday; you name the starting time and place. Anyone else want to get in on the fun (and aerobic exercise)?

Russ

Somewhat challenging by the chalet...we got married up there 8/05.

Thinking about "first chair" at Grand Avenue Saturday 9AM. I'd be happy to leave the snow shoes in the car. Advice about gear since your way up the post-season learning curve?

Dave's GoPro crash looks agonizing.

Thinking about "first chair" at Grand Avenue Saturday 9AM. I'd be happy to leave the snow shoes in the car. Advice about gear since your way up the post-season learning curve?

9am at Grand Avenue works for me. Free ride board, softies, light layers of clothing, water, and sunblock.

Russ

Thinking about "first chair" at Grand Avenue Saturday 9AM.

Ken and I made it on time, but despite our fervent hopes, the chair never started.....

April272013001_zps408d05a0.jpg

We were there early enough that the bright sun hadn't softened the surface yet, plus got to see hawks, snow geese (or were they pelicans?), a pileated woodpecker, and eagles in the clear morning sky.

April272013004_zpscc759df0.jpg

Dave joined us a bit later; we figured that he wouldn't be able to pass up on an opportunity to redeem himself after his crash the last time out.

April272013007_zps7db60a97.jpg

Dave (and a bit of his handiwork):

April272013011_zps8055f6be.jpg

Starting getting pretty soft and sticky when we left at noon. I'm thinking that we're finally done. Duluth sees an average of 7 inches of snow in April; this year we had 51 inches and it was the third snowiest winter on record. We've documented our adventures this year partly out of the sense that we'll never see a year like this again.

Have a great summer!

Russ

Spectacular spring day to finally end a great season. Need to get there very early before it softens up now.

Those probably were snow geese, but white pelican markings are very similar.

post-10752-141842392904_thumb.jpg

Russ near the top of Blue Ruin

post-10752-141842392912_thumb.jpg

Joined by Dave...on the way up again.

Thanks for a great season!