Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2012/2013

rwmaron

Hope someone got out this morning in the the fresh snow.

Wasn't me though I was tempted. Tuesday is Ken's regular day - hoping he made it.

I had a training session last night that wrapped up just before 7, so spent an hour rocketing around on the firm (but not hard) groom.....one of those cold, clear nights with almost no one around when everything comes together.

The new chalet at the bottom held an employee/volunteer open house, but I didn't get a chance to stop in. Supposed to be open to the public starting February 11th.

I'll be on the hill Thursday for most of the day; I'm sure patroller Don will kit up as well.

Russ

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did get out from 12:30 till 5 yesterday. 4Pipe and Juggler Joe were good and not much traffic, but most of the other runs were a bit choppy. It was rather slow earlier, but speeded up as temps cooled.

We're planning an evening session tonight after work, but I'll be otherwise working all weekend Thursday through Sunday.

Spent the day filling in for a fellow patroller; visibility wasn't great, but the groom was soft after yesterday's snow. Lent Patroller Don a pair of Raichle 225s that I picked up cheap a couple of years ago and he was rockin! Fun to help someone out then see them have a breakthrough day.

My weapon of the day (purchased here on BOL from Bora20 who bought it from BlueB):

post-1921-141842384512_thumb.jpg

Great ride on hardboots when it's soft.

Spirit will be a busy place this weekend with the new snow and several races scheduled. Get your turns in early!

Russ

Started (and ended) early - good groom, but flat light. Saw Ryan but never hooked up. Busier than usual by 10am....I bailed at 10:30 as two buses were unloading even more winter sports enthusiasts at the chalet. Hoping for fewer folks and some new snow for tomorrow morning.

Russ

My son and I got out for 10k vert of very soft small to waist high bumps. Great fun, and got my legs back (been too long for hardcore 2 yrs). Deb will be picked up tonight and we'll be in Big Sky on Tuesday/Wednesday for 7 weeks. Doubt I will be back to hit any runs before next winter. Tell Don Dettmann (sp), that it was a pleasure seeing him again, and he looked sharp. Let me know if any of the Duluth Crew is planning a trip to Big Sky.

Hoping for fewer folks and some new snow for tomorrow morning.

Fewer folks - check

New snow - not so much....didn't start here until around 1pm (but we got 6-8 inches in total).

BTW - Check out Michelle's Day 1 and Day 2 videos in the SES Daily Rub-in 2013 thread...if you look carefully, you'll catch a glimpse or two of one of our own (BigWaveDave).

Russ

Edited by rwmaron

Pretty quiet around this part of the forum the last couple of days......

I got out Wednesday morning for a couple of hours: bright sun, soft groom, warm temp - can it get any better? It must have gotten a bit too warm that afternoon then frozen though; when I stopped by today to pick up my gear, conditions appeared to be what I would describe as FIRM groom.

I'm off to the U.P. for a family weekend for cross country skiing and boarding.

Have fun!

Russ

Busy day on the mountain with lots of paper tickets and people learning to love winter. Good firm groom from first chair till about 2:00PM.

The new chalet needs about 5x more ski/board racks,and the concessions were doing great.

Looking for first chair again tomorrow.

Hero snow day....pretty much took anyone's ability and upped by 100 points or so........absolutely great day. Only Ken and I out this morning as Dave and Russ were out traveling.....Ken did a film session recently and studied the tapes hard and he believes and I can attest to it as upping his game as well. Guess I better his the SES films and get some tips ........

Great day for Spirit Mountain and winter sports. Rode perfect groom this morning with Jim and laid down the first track on the upper part of Double Jaw. Jane shot some more iPhone video of my technique, and I'll be giving it the critical look.

By 2PM, Spirit was busier than I've seen it for several seasons. Called it a day after needing to side slip through congestion on Juggler Joe and Bindle Stiff and 10 minute lift lines.

Planning an afternoon/evening session for Tuesday.

I'm off to the U.P. for a family weekend for cross country skiing and boarding.

Big Snow Country aka 'Da UP' didn't disappoint - spent the afternoon Saturday exploring the woods and trails at ABR in the quiet of the recent lake effect snowfall, then Sunday boarded at Big Powderhorn on a nicely groomed, soft surface. We were pleasantly surprised that despite it being the Sunday of a holiday weekend, we waited in a lift line only once (for about 5 mins); it was busy, but didn't feel crowded. The new lodge at the base is nice too!

I'm hoping to get over to Indianhead once before the season is out.

Russ

I'ld love to get over to Indianhead too this season. Met Algunderfoot at SES and he plans to go up there sometime this season yet also.

Had a BLAST at SES. Rode a lot of boards, mostly Coilers and Doneks. Met the industry superstars, Michelle and Fin of Bomber, Bruce Varsava of Coiler and Sean Martin of Donek, all of whom know my daughter, so I became known as Mimi's Dad, or MD for short.

Bruce emailed me this morning and has already started building me a copy of a Coiler "Nirvana" 174 to be delivered next week!

I had Sean put my name on a blue Donek REV 180 demo that I will get after the season is over. This board was so much fun to ride I had to have it.

I rode in the "Carve Factor", which was supposed to be showing off for the cameras, for me it was just survival on a run that I had not been down before, riding a plate for the first time (mounted on the REV 180) and as you can see trenches in the soft groom were deep, like 4-6 inches. Bruce (at 1:32) was the only one who really took the chance to mix it up doing a 360, buzzing the camera man Sean Martin, the other board builder (you had to wonder what Sean was thinking when he saw Bruce heading at him) and then a 180 and off into the powder! He's followed by Trent who shows perfect caving form. My cautious run at 12:15.

Second camera view, I'm at 6:55.

Riding the Nirvana...Ommmm...

DSC_0389.JPG

Oh, I plan to come up Thursday. Look forward to perfectly smooth, firm groom and quiet slopes.

On the drive home, saw some road signs: From Buttermilk Mt to ButterFIELD, MN; from Aspen Highlands to Highland Hills...I will miss the mountains.

Edited by bigwavedave

MD/Dave, sounds like you had a great time. I spent yesterday afternoon drooling over all the vids and saw you in more than a few including the ones you mentioned. The hill did look challenging on the vid where Bruce did the header .....can't wait to see the new boards when you get them. Oh...and being the only guy around on PRIOR boards....give me some insight...are they just not represented out there during SES or what?.....I see some on the vids but no mention of the builders or representatives.

Edited by jolson

Not many Priors in the demo tent. Maybe some 4wd's and ATV's, not sure. I think Chris Prior has attended past events, not this one. I get the feeling he is more focused on developing and promoting his pow boards as that's where you see the new products and shapes in his line. Doesn't look like he has changed much in the carving boards recently. Coiler and Donek are continually experimenting and particularly cater to the freecarving crowd. It's a small part of the snowboard world and we're lucky to have people like Fin, Sean and Bruce working their magic.

Bruce emailed me this morning and has already started building me a copy of a Coiler "Nirvana" 174 to be delivered next week! I had Sean put my name on a blue Donek REV 180 demo that I will get after the season is over. This board was so much fun to ride I had to have it.

I had a hunch that SES was going to be a costly adventure for you - too bad you'll have to ride all that shiny new gear with an old pair of Burton boots held together with baling wire! :D

Just out of curiousity, what are you going to be selling to fund all these purchases?

I'm off to Lutsen with my wife and daughter on Wednesday, so don't think I'll make it out Thursday morning. I have patrol duty from 9a -3p both Saturday and Sunday.

How would Thursday, 2/28 or Thursday 3/7 sound for Indianhead? Anyone else interested?

Russ

I almost sold the 180 Kessler to someone out there, but now glad I didn't after ridding it back to back with the REV 180. They're very different boards. The kessler rides longer, the REV is more nimble. The Nirvana will bump the metal AX out of the line-up being of similar size and scr. If I also get a REV 164 then the Generic 159 will get bumped too.

Love to go to Indianhead. Either Thursday will work for me. I'ld like to book a room at the Marron Inn for the Wednesday night before so we can drive together.

I almost sold the 180 Kessler to someone out there, but now glad I didn't after ridding it back to back with the REV 180. They're very different boards. The kessler rides longer, the REV is more nimble. The Nirvana will bump the metal AX out of the line-up being of similar size and scr. If I also get a REV 164 then the Generic 159 will get bumped too.

Love to go to Indianhead. Either Thursday will work for me. I'ld like to book a room at the Marron Inn for the Wednesday night before so we can drive together.

Any chance of a demo ride on the metal AX next Thursday morning? I might be in town and it looks like it might be for sale.

Looking forward to seeing the new shiny rides. Out for three hours of refreshing chair rides and wind-scoured groom this afternoon, but no crowds.Unfortunately, will be otherwise occupied with family obligations till next tuesday, but will be at the grand opening of the new chalet tomorrow evening with Jane.

Went to Lutsen with my wife (tele skier) and daughter (snowboarder); started at 10:30 after hearing in the ticket office that Moose would open late due to continued grooming. Grooming on Bridge Run was decent, though the rest of Eagle looked hard and ungroomed....finally got over to Moose at 11:30 to find what I would describe as less that optimal conditions - a thin groomed layer on top of a hard base (and a few spots that were missing even that), loose icy chunks, and bumps and ruts. But it was a clear, bluebird sky day; few folks were out; so we made the best of it. As we were leaving just before 4 saw snow guns parked on a couple of runs on Eagle and guns running on Mystery. My guess is that it's cheaper to freshen up runs with new man made than to grind the existing hard layer.....

Russ