Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BlueB & me discuss over your KST174 you might add longer live to it and still safe by using a Vist Plate.

not a bad idea. i'm going to try it with 8 screws and see if it holds. the board has seen allot of use, and the edges are almost gone, so not a huge tragedy regardless, but would be nice to get a bit more use out of it.

Today was a Nice Blue Bird start to the day then the fog/clouds came and went a few times. In the early am I saw Kaz on the chair in front of me but we never actually talked. We did however leave our signatures on the trails in the early morning.

post-11215-141842388194_thumb.jpg

Then Ran into BlueB and Scooby for a few turns before lunch when it was getting really chopped up.

Today was the first time in a long while I broke our the 184 Coiler Pure Race II

Then Ran into BlueB and Scooby for a few turns before lunch when it was getting really chopped up.

He, he, you should have checked the Rainbow with us! It was really hard packed and pretty smooth. It softened a bit by 1pm, but not too much. Had a few blasting EC runs back to back...

On the other hand the lover JJA was really irritating me with that loose sugar layer on top of the hard pack. The same with the lower Collins, however the upper had really nice snow.

It was a really good day for me riding 3 completely different, yet awsome in thir own ways, boards!

First one was an ancient Prior 185, a prototype from mid 90'. Narrow, stiff, but lo and behold, with about 4" of nose decamber and stubbyish shaped! What a nice surprise - the board had immense edge grip and stabillity. My grinns were huge on those railed-in heel sides! However, it needs to go fast and likes hard snow. On suggary flat surface of the bottom JJA I hated it as much as I liked it on the steep hard part of the run.

Next, the Chubby 177. Likes speed, stable, super hold. Very EC friendly. Just a great big all-rounder.

Last but not least, the AMT 177. Stupidly easy to ride. Tight EC friendly. Doesn't like as much speed or longer radius turn like Chubby, but keep her tight and it's a breeze...

Sorry John. I couldn't wait for you because my wife was waiting at pass-check entrance.

I had to babysit my wife on bunny hill and she gave me a few runs of time before that.

I had to rush otherwise my wife's thunder and lighting might have hit on me.

me:flamethromy wife :)

My wife is super beginner but she did much better than I thought, thanks to Boris.

post-11067-141842388208_thumb.jpg

Edited by kaz

Sorry John. I couldn't wait for you because my wife was waiting at pass-check entrance.

I had to babysit my wife on bunny hill and she gave me a few runs of time before that.

I had to rush otherwise my wife's thunder and lighting might have hit on me.

No prob Kaz, My wife only really started snowboarding this year also and has progressed from a very timid beginner to being able to ride all the blue runs at modest speed and even some black slowly. I to have spent a lot of days making sure she was happy. I have noticed that my legs were actually more tired going slow and fighting gravity when she was slower and only did green runs.

Just noticed this on Craigslist

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/3671900639.html

Have no idea if it's good or not?

& this one.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/spo/3652584587.html

TT

You could part the first one out here on Bomber for a profit ($75 for boots, $75 for bindings, $50 for board)...pass on the 2nd one.

You could part the first one out here on Bomber for a profit ($75 for boots, $75 for bindings, $50 for board)...pass on the 2nd one.

My insurance runs out tomorrow night @ midnight & I need to come up with $200.

Otherwise maybe?

I just thought maybe one of you guys might want em?

On a side note..

I need to sell a board or two.

I have 2 Palmer Titanium Channel boards, both 164cm.

The base's on both of them are virtually scratch free, only light ones from storage, none from riding.

These were both brand new this season.

I've got about 6 hours on the White one & maybe 2 on the blue one.

& a Virtually brand new Dynastar 3800 163cm. I've got maybe 2 hours on it, maybe?

Most of the time I was just trying to get one of my pairs of large bindings to fit my medium sized boots so I could ride it.

Not a single scratch, it's beautiful.

Ya I realize these should go in the buy & sell section, but I'm hopin' to do this today or tomorrow.

Not in a week.

Anybody like corporate discounts?;)

TT

Drizzle and fog in the city made for a very quiet Sunday at the hill. It was better then I expected. Some snow in the morning wit on/off mist, little bit of drizzle before lunch, then back to light snow and way better vis!

We've got a new bro - Preet. He came for 2 hr h/boot lesson, but is an experienced softy carver with forward stance. He liked the hard setup and got the flow right away! Way, way cool for the 1st time on the plates!

After lunch, I did a clinic for Mi Young, our star instructoress, board and ski. She pushed both Roy and me for long time to bring a small hard boot setup for her to try. She also got it quickly and enjoyed. She says it feels like a more natural way if riding th the softies! Left the board with her to have few weeks of fun.

The Brotherhood is growing :) ...

He, he, you should have checked the Rainbow with us! It was really hard packed and pretty smooth. It softened a bit by 1pm, but not too much. Had a few blasting EC runs back to back......

Yeah it was fun ride until I was ejected twice from the front binding on my KST180. Please read report about the other important of having LEASHed all the time.

Happy Snow,

RT

TimmyT, you missed out on a miserable night of riding.

I arrived at the bottom at 6 to pouring rain and poor vis. The mountain was empty save for a few diehards. My first run on JJA was like pushing a truck through mud. On my second run, liftie told me the mountain was closing at 7. Lousiest day of the season yet.

Forecast for the whole week is rain and the winds will only get stronger. Wednesday crew, don't bother.

Yeah it was fun ride until I was ejected twice from the front binding on my KST180. Please read report about the other important of having LEASHed all the time.

Happy Snow,

RT

Hey Scooby,

When you eject from the front binding does it seem to be a matter of the toe bail opening up? I used to have this problem when racing gates. The gate would hit the bail and then cause it to snap open. I never had this happen when free riding but I ran a velcro power strap from an old boot under my boot and over my toe bail and this stopped the "ejections"

That was also one of the main reason that I changed over to the hard boot step in system when racing, now I just like them because I am to lazy to bend over.

March 12

I stayed until noon. Too hot and too soft.

First morning wasn't so bad.

Almost clear sky,visibility was clear, light wind, temperature felt like +1 to +2 degrees at 12:00pm.

4 to 5 cm of flesh snow. Seemed like almost recovered from rain. But temperature was too high.

(Cypress's report was a bit wrong. They said -1 degree at noon. Visi variable. Moderate to strong wind.

Grouse's report was +2 degrees at 1:00pm. WTF?)

I don't need sunshine. Need for cold temp.

Edited by kaz

You guys should be out here at Sun Peaks.

Met up with my family here for the weekend, since I have been on the road for the past 10 days up to Prince Rupert.

Considering it was the start of Spring Break, the crowds were non existent, and more important, there was 20 cms of new powder that had just dropped in th past 12 hours. I spent the weekend cruising the mountain on my Coiler 172 AM, and getting fresh tracks early in the morning.

Now I'm in Penticton, will try to hit Apex and Manning Park on my way back to Vancouver this week...

Geo

Pretty good day!

No crowd in despite the spring brake, coldish, great grippy hard pack in the morning (showing a bit of ice by the lunch), sunny at the times, a bit of snowing too.

Luka and me showed up on skis. I tried a new teaching/correctional device - thin shock cord that connects the tip of the ski and pole handle. It repositions the hands in the correct way (Luka tends to hold the ski poles on his hips).

We saw Rod, Kaz, Randy on skis and a glimpse of Patric going into the trees of the Panorama...

I never seen crazier weather pattern, then on this mornings drive:

Sunny at my house at high elevation, snow blizzard (wet though) through Port Moody and Barnett Highway at the sea level, mix of cloud and sun through Burnaby, snow on the 2nd Narrows Bridge, rain/cloud on the N1 North Van, light drizzle up the Cypress all the way to the Parking C, then clear up there... I'll be damned...

Next ride on Sunday.

Today was a good day!

Tuesday was a little bit better than Monday.

Thursday was much much better than Tuesday.

It was a hero day today!

Stayed cool until I left (2:00pm).

A weather-channel reporter interviewed Rod on Tuesday and he was on the channel.

I passed the interview but I was on air too.

Night operations only until Sunday March 31. Starting Monday April 1, mountain hours are 10:00 - 5:00.

Oh yeah, today was good. This morning was mid-winter groomer conditions.

P.S. The airbag landing pad is free of charge until tomorrow. Did it 3 times yesterday. Definitely recommended! Yesterday was also mid-winter-style groomers.

Edited by Cousin of Beagle
ride every day until closing

Night operations only until Sunday March 31. Starting Monday April 1, mountain hours are 10:00 - 5:00.

Oh yeah, today was good. This morning was mid-winter groomer conditions.

P.S. The airbag landing pad is free of charge until tomorrow. Did it 3 times yesterday. Definitely recommended! Yesterday was also mid-winter-style groomers.

Did you go inverted? That jump wants to flip you around.

Let it, it's really easy to do huge laid out back flips.:biggthump

All you have to do is lean back slightly & it'll shoot you in a perfect circle.

https://vimeo.com/54297885

TT

Just a quick one...

Fantastic hard cord on JJA in the morning, maybe the best of the year! Lasted in superb condition for about 2 hours, but remained ok into the afternoon. Other runs were nowhere near that good.

Roy, Rod, Gary, B, Luka on skis with the club...

Gary likes his new 4wd, even more after a quick stance tweek we did.

In action:

post-1678-141842390588_thumb.jpg

Luka and me had a lazy morning and showed up at the hill after 11:30... We did only about 2.5 hours on skis.

Snow was surprisingly good after yesterday's 14C at the base! Today I'd say about 5-6C, slush but not "soup". It was quite carvable even when it bumped up a bit in the pm. The morning must have been one of those hero heavy compact snow, that didn't freeze over night...

Not many people at all...

One brown patch starting to show on the steepest part of the Rainbow and on Benny's from what I saw from the car. The rest is holding fine for now.

Informal info from a senior liftie, about this season's length:

Lions side to close on 15th of April;

Eagle side to remain opet to May!