Note to New Members ×

What to do in Vancouver?

D.T.

Looking for suggestions on what to do in Vancouver. It looks like I may get my scheduled workload complete tomorrow (Wednesday); therefore, I would have Thursday as a play day.

I was thinking of heading up to Whistler and checking out the area, but that will only consume part of the day (I'm figuring 7 hours with the drive and sightseeing). What suggestions do you locals or others who have visited the area have for things that are on a Vancouver must-do list?

PS - I'm staying near the airport, so I know I'll have to drive to get to most of the good stuff...

Edited by D.T.

If you enjoy biking, try renting a DH bike and riding the lifts in Whistler. Super fun, and all trails are marked so that you can keep from getting in over your head. I think it cost around $200 for the rental and lift ticket.

Just getting out of the airport area is going to take you half the day ...

You'll easily kill the day heading up to Whistler. The Sea to Sky Highway by itself is well worth the drive. Stop in Squamish for coffee on the way up, and see if the climbers are out. The bike park is open, so you could rent a bike if you ride - the bike park is world famous for a reason. If that's not your thing, there's a ton of stuff in the adventure zone (ziplines, tree walks, climbing walls etc). And take the Peak to Peak for the sightseeing, and just to say that you've done it - hanging out 400 feet in the air over the valley is pretty damn cool.

The hiking around there is spectacular, and this might be a great time to do it with the seasons changing and a dusting of snow. I can recommend the Lost Lake area, just watch out for the bikes. There's some great hiking maps on the internet. And for apres, score a prime seat in the GLC in the village for beers, and to watch the bikers hucking off the GLC drops.

Even if you stay in Van you'll have fun. It's such a gorgeous, cosmopolitan city - just wander, get lost, and eat great food from cheap holes in the wall.

Whistler is definitelly a full day...

Vancouver... So much to do/see... Let's try:

Downtown:

Stenley Park, including Aquarium (maybe rent a bike close to the entrance to the park)

Grenville Island

Chinatown, Chineese Garden

Gas Town

Robson Street

Vancouver Library (weird architecture)

Ski/board shops at West 4th

Canada Place

Burnaby:

Burnaby Mountain view point and restaurant

Simon Fraser University

North Shore:

Lions Gate Bridge

Forests/mountains of the North Shore

Lynn Creek Valley and suspension bridge

Capillano Suspension Bridge, Salmon Hatchery, Dam

Grouse Mountain gondy

Cypress Mountain view point (not to far up the Cypress Road)

Deep Cove

Lighthouse Park

Horsehoe Bay

Edgemont Village

Dundrave, Ambleside

Lonsdale Quay

South:

White Rock

Steveston Village

East:

Sasamat Lake

Buntzen Lake

Port Moody

Belcara Village, Belcara Regional Park (forest trail along the shore - prettiest in Van)

Fort Langley, Zoo is in the same area

Salmon fishing, if you're into that

Eat sushi

Eat Chineese food

Eat Sockeye on cedar plank

Drink coffee

Buy some BC wines

BlueB's or Scooby's garage :D

Enjoy our beautifull city!

Edited by BlueB

Thanks for the input everyone! It's been a nice couple of days. Had dinner at Coast Resaurant on Tuesday - it was great. Went to Vij's Restaurant last night - best Indian food I've ever had.

Sadly an ignorant bureaucrat made a mess of my plans, he turned what should have been 6 hours of work into 15.5 hours. Instead of having today to play and enjoy the sites, I worked until 3:30. Granted, that did not stop me from visiting Whistler. I'm sitting at Araxi enjoying an apr�s dinner espresso. The drive up was definitely worthwhile!

Buy some BC wines

I've definitely drank some great local wines this week!

BlueB's or Scooby's garage :D

Had I seen you your post before now, I would have hit you up!

Enjoy our beautifull city!

I have; I need to bring the wife up here!

• 2 weeks later...