Note to New Members ×

Alternatives to Ruthies run.

John Gilmour

I have to go through CO,UT,NV,AZ,NM for business.

I'm looking for alternatives to Aspen Ajax Ruthies run. Good packed powder and grooming,, wide, fast with continuous steep pitch and excellent sight lines.

These are resorts on my hit list (never been to these yet).

Colorado

SteamBoat 3,668

Telluride 3,505

Silverton 3,087 Pow

Crested butte 2,787

Durango 2,029

Utah

Canyons (SIA only) 3,190

Park City 3,100

Gorgoza park 3,100

Sundance 2,150

Solitude 2,047

New Mexico

Taos 2,612

Angel fire 2,077

Nevada

Diamond Peak 1,840 (only gets in there because there are not bigger resorts- Rode Mt. Rose ..too marrow)

Arizona

Arizona Snowbowl 2,300

So which resorts are wide , fast, with continous steep pitch like Ruthies Run in Aspen? I spend about 70% of my time on Ruthies and need an alternative, Sneakys (Snowmass) is not steep enough, and Javelin and Racers edge (tiehack) are too short. Thunderbowl (Aspen Highlands) has poor sight lines.

Though not in my states visiting...I've always wanted to hit Sun Valley. How's that stack up?

SUN VALLEY ++ Great grooming - not deep powder 150" ave/yr Canyons/Telluride lots of bumps, Diamond Peaks not steep enough

it's already on my short list.... I've started telling people that I will be there this winter... any season pass deals.???. it's likely that or Vail.

BTW I've heard great sight lines at speed.. but hat about pitch and length.... anything like the sword guys ride...but longer? BTW I hate flat light.. which is a deal killer for a resort... whats the percentage of flat light days.. Aspen has very little flat light IMHO....I'd stay fewer tahn 5% of the days without snow are flat light for the whole day in Aspen.. At least the sun pokes out for 2-4 hours.

Edited by John Gilmour

I've ridden Aspen but I'm not sure which runs were which. My view would be to ride them all, especially if you're close. In fact looking at your list reminds me that there are a few more places I need to go.

I bagged Taos from your list last season. That was fun and easily faster than Whistler where speed cops and crowds tend to cramp one's style somewhat. You can see pretty much what it was like from this video (https://vimeo.com/39571213). It's not really a "motorway" resort if that's what you're after: it's a steep little valley.

Mohawk Mtn, CT

You're Welcome.

The kids from the boarding schools have the most expensive gear and train there at night...too intimidating. The hill, I guess, is so steep it seems the run is over in an instant- too scary to host any FIS event there. And bitter cold at night... better to head to the Carolinas.

Edited by John Gilmour

Don't know. A friend of mine who's a tellie (telemark skier) told me that run is totally insanely super fast that he chickened out halfway through (he's extremely fast teleskier). Me, I don't have the cajones to do that, tho I'd disagree about the cajones and replace that "I'm too smart to even risk that."

However, if you do check it out, lemme know what's the run like? Believe it or not, I rarely go to the Beav at all for I mostly stick to Vail all the way and use skis. So I wouldn't know much.

As for hardbooting at Vail, I would pick Golden Peak area (no, not the park but the run next to it -- it's called Ruder's Run) as well as my most favorite run in that area -- Whipper Snapper. Whipper Snapper is strong right turn type of pitch, but super fast and BE CAREFUL with the catwalk as you do want to be launched out gunning your board, dude.