Note to New Members ×

Did you ride yer Madd yet

Bobby Buggs

I had my first three days on the 170 last weekend in a variety of conditions - soft to hard pack to regular. It’s a very, very nice ride. I was ripping some seriously tight turns at some serious speeds. You can really push the nose on this thing and the board will just turn tighter and tighter without letting go. Madd fun! The edge would not let go unless my form fell to she-ite. At times I was getting so compressed I had trouble pulling out of the turns to get to the other edge (need more strength!). No regrets on the purchase.

I’m taking my 171 Donek Freecarve back out next weekend (Ol’ Reliable) to see if I can come to terms with the difference. I absolutely love the Donek. Will the Madd replace it as my board of choice? Can you have two favorites? We’ll see.

Originally posted by cliffh

I’m taking my 171 Donek Freecarve back out next weekend (Ol’ Reliable) to see if I can come to terms with the difference. I absolutely love the Donek. Will the Madd replace it as my board of choice? Can you have two favorites? We’ll see.

Isn't the 171 FC II based on the original Madd 170 template? (11.2 meteres versus the 10.5m sidecut of the new ones)

Originally posted by cliffh

If you want it to be a fair comparison, you should have both boards tuned by the same guy right before you do this. If you got the PTC tune with your Madd, it has an Olympic quality tune on it. Chances are your Donek doesn't.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

If you want it to be a fair comparison, you should have both boards tuned by the same guy right before you do this. If you got the PTC tune with your Madd, it has an Olympic quality tune on it. Chances are your Donek doesn't.

Well I have noticed a huge difference in my Donek tune this season. Mike at PTC tuned my boards this year, let me tell you my boards ride some much nice now. I really didn't think that a great tune would change the ride of my boards, well it does. My Madd is at PTC right now so I can't wait to take it out in January with a professional tune from PTC. After riding both the 158 and 170 at the ECES last year with out a PTC tune and loving how they ride :D I can't wait to see how my 170 will ride.

Took her up to Snowbasin (4th day on her) Monday. At the time, no new snow for a couple of weeks + colder temps = hard, chalky conditions, and yes, even some ice on those steeper pitches where the chalk was scraped off! Nothing else I currently own would hold an edge as well at higher speeds on this stuff like the Madd - I'm sold on this thing! I've already given my 2 cents on the performance of this board in another thread - suffice it to say that my Nideckers (though I love them), will probably be getting a little less hill time this season :eek:

Now I'm determined to demo a 158 :D

I vote we hold off on these type of threads until all boards, at a minimum, are in a press. I promised to hold off on my comments until after my board has arrived, been ridden, and have written a complete review...which may offset the anxiety and frustration. Reading this makes me either envious or delusional, I'm not sure which. How'd the allocation work anyways? Did you guys pay extra to get your boards "early". Don't answer... I don't want to know.....

Fin - Perhaps we can upgrade tbe Vbullentin software to filter out this stuff. ;)

Here's the review from Performance Snowboard Reports back in 1996 on the original Madd 158, just in case some of you have never had the chance to read it. Hope the copyright gods leave me alone for this. Sorry, the file is too big. Anyone that wants it let me know, or maybe D-Sub will host it?