Note to New Members ×

Beginner

m4ttflynn

Hey guys,

So I'm a skier, have been my whole life, except for 5 years in the middle where I boarded. I was never into the trick park thing, so I think alpine would be a good fit for me. I have been watching here for gear recently because I REALLY want to give alpine boarding a go. I've never tried it before.

I'm just over 200lbs, and I raced skiing in college, so I imagine I'll want a real stiff and long board? Correct me if this is wrong. I would also like to try to save by using my ski boots (which I've recently gotten some that aren't as tight since I'm no longer racing, which is good for boarding, right?) So I'm looking for anyone to point me in the direction of what gear I should get, and whether or not I should also get boarding-specific boots.

Also, anyone nearby selling stuff in MA?

-Matt

Hope to add you to the ranks! Check out the links below. You can save money and get a taste in your ski boots, but if they are very stiff you will probably want something softer sooner than later. A good friend of mine started on his freeride ski boots last year and is having a fine time. It's a great way to ski and board in the same day, which is especially handy if you have skiing kids/spouse. Good luck!

Those boots are sold, by the way.

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Bomberonline and to our little carving community.

Since you are new to this sport and in New England, I highly recommend you try to attend our East Coast Expression Session (ECES). Dates are Feb 26th to March 2nd at Stratton, VT

The ECES is held every 2 years, this is the only chance in the East Coast you'll get the opportunity to get to demo boards, boots, and bindings from our vendors from the US, Canada, and Europe. We will also be offering free clinics for all levels.

Any questions, please contact me or email us at eastcoastexpressionsession At Gmail dot com

Matt, I agree with GeoffV 100%. If you are even remotely interested, make it (ECES) happen. It sounds like you're ready, so a sick day or 2 may be in order to attend ECES.

It IS the only way you will be able to 'Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It' on the east coast !

You will NOT be disappointed, and it may save you a lot of $$ in the long run (Specially in Boots) finding what fits and what works for you the FIRST TIME :biggthump

You have another great resource right in your home state. Berkshire East in Charlemont, MA rents alpine boards and boots! Mark ("Dingbat" on Bomber) will set you up right so you can test things out.

http://berkshireeast.com/pureboard

Also, come out and join us for our annual carving fest/debacle :eplus2:, right before ECES.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36265

Welcome!

No doubt as your skills progress you'll want at least one big, stout board, which believe me will make any turn you ever made on race skis look like a skid-out. Before you get there, though, there are easier ways to start. Something a little wider and a little softer will get you down the hill when you're beat (and you will be) while still giving you a decent platform for learning how to get your edges out from under you. Something like a Burton Alp (I think I saw a 169 in the For Sale area recently) would be ideal, as would a lot of the "ATV" and "AM" style boards. If you go too stout too soon there won't be any middle ground between a full sweeping carve and just locking up and straightlining into the trees.

By all means post when you're planning a road trip (Berkshire east is great but a long way from Marlborough) and someone's like to make sure to get some runs in with you.

I've got a question about boots. I am looking at a used set up but the bindings are step ins. Step in TD2's. Do all alpine snowboard boot work for step in bindings, or do they have to be step in specific boots? If they do have to be specific, I'm guessing they will be more expensive than a regular boot. Would it be possible to find a beginner pair for 100<$ Thanks

Step in bindings like the TD2 require the installation of an adapter called Intec, or the "Fintec" which is Bomber's more durable version. Most but not all modern snowboard boots will accept the Intec/Fintec, including any Raichle with a three digit designation ending in "5" or "0" such as the 325 or the AF600. Head, UPZ, Deeluxe boots from recent years are all fine too. Earlier boots won't work without modification, and even some modern boot require installation of "T-Nuts" for saftey. the Intec system has two pins which extend from the sides of the heel, which engage with holes in the step-in binding. the difficulty is that this means you're being held to your board no more strongly than the heel is being held to your boot, hence the need for beefed-up installation of the heel adapter. The adapter is also kinda pricey.

I love step-ins but they're somewhat more complex, somewhat pricier and much stiffer when riding than other designs, so fo a first setup you might want to go with something a little simpler, flexier and less expensive.

@ jonny,

So the heels are spendy. Like $70 or more? That stinks. And there is also an additional adapter? Also, that seems like a ton of torque being applied to a screwed in piece of plastic. Does anyone have safety problems with step ins. Like the heel ripping off or something? Even when screwed down, in a hard wreck if you torque it hard I could see any threads holding a heel on getting ripped out. The reason I was hoping to go this route is that the set up i wanted to buy is in my price range. Board and step ins for 250. If I can pick up boots for less than a hundred bucks i'd be happy. Is that realistic? Also I had another random question. I managed to find some oldschool asymmetrical board on craigs list. Its a Burton race board from the 90's. The board looked very similar to what the guys were riding in the catapult hard attack vids. It had soft boot bindings set up on it. Those guys weren't using softies were they? they were going so fast I couldn't tell but it almost looked like they were. At any rate. Those guys were shredding harder than I've ever seen on those boards. And on all different terrains. Could you have that kind of versatility with any alpine board. Considering how old those vids are, if I could get into a cheap set of gear like what they were using so I could shred hard just about anywhere and lay it over I would be super stoked.

Here's a picture of a Fintec assembly (not sure why I couldn't find them in the Bomber store - maybe sold out?):

http://www.hardbooter.com/Fin_Tec_Heels_p/fintec.htm

The heel screws into a set of T-Nuts which are installed from the top down through the plastic of the boot itself, so it's pretty darm strong, although you do hear of them ripping out once in a while. Very very rare, though - rarer than a bail failing on a conventinal binding for instance. Stay aay from the Burton step-in design, but the TD and Cateks are pretty bomb-proof, and lots of the flexier ones - F2 and their cousins, are fine too. all of those use an Intec heel.

I don't think you'll find a pair of used dedicated snowboard boots of decent quality for under $125, even with normal heels. Bomber has the 325 on sale for $249 and that's a bargain (and a great boot).

As far as the Asyms, they ripped for sure, and IMO would be a reasonable way into the sport, with a pair of normal latch-in bindings, which you could really ride in ski-boots for a while. You'll find them all over - most of us have at least one in the basement - I know I do - and you could pick one up in good shape with bindings for $125 or even less. The limitation is that the Asym design likes more fore and aft movement than is currently fashionable, and you just don't know how strong the inserts are after 20 years.

Here is the link to the hard attack vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKvAUOkNG0.

Here is a pic of an assymetrical board I was looking at.

5Gf5Hf5M83Gf3J23N3c1s9cfbc6991f8a18d6.jpg5Kd5Fd5M63L53I53o1c1sc45fa47788941dd0.jpg

Its a 93 Pj burton. Goofy I think. Why does it have soft boot bindings? Do you think this has the five hole pattern? I'm looking for a cheep way to get some more edge hold than a prior 178 spearhead or 181 pow stick and still have some versatility of the groomers. The guys in catapult seem to be doing well on both. You think I could find something cheap that will do what I'm talking about?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Matt,

I have a similar history to yours..are you going to Stratton for the SES in Feb? I'll be there Wed-Thurs...I'm headed to Park City in a few days with my son to ride some fresh POW (at least I'm praying for it!), then up to Stratton. I am currently using a stiffer soft boot with a used 156 carving board. It is EXTREMELY difficult to find demos, rentals, or used hard boots in a women's size. My size would be 24 or 24.5. They will have your size, most likely, in demos at Stratton that week.This is a guy's sport!

Ween

Hi, Matt,

I have a similar history to yours..are you going to Stratton for the SES in Feb? I'll be there Wed-Thurs...I'm headed to Park City in a few days with my son to ride some fresh POW (at least I'm praying for it!), then up to Stratton. I am currently using a stiffer soft boot with a used 156 carving board. It is EXTREMELY difficult to find demos, rentals, or used hard boots in a women's size. My size would be 24 or 24.5. They will have your size, most likely, in demos at Stratton that week.This is a guy's sport!

Ween

Hey Ween,

It can feel like a testosterone-driven sport at times! Though alpine equipment is tough to find (without the use of the internet) regardless of size. I'm the same size foot as you and have a bear of a time even finding street shoes in stock at most stores. One thing that will help--figure out who on Bomber has similar-sized feet. I've swapped used boots amongst a small group of people for years now! Hint: I think Rhys, and Andrea at the online store YYZ Canuck are small-footers too. Just keep an eye out. Good stuff will turn up.

No, just a sprinter with a new body & without the wing(s) rolled out of the garage for some fresh air.

Matt

We should meet up.

I used to live in Marlborough and now live in boxborough. I commute through Marlborough every day. I am sure I can help you get set up on the cheap.

And please try to make it to the ECES like everyone else has said.

Send me an email through the forum. Where do you normally ski/ride?

On the TD2 step in bindings. If you want to go standard, rather than stepin, you can easily convert them to standard TD2's by purchasing the standard front and rear bails and lever assembly, and heel block. OK, that'll add up fast though. Perhaps you could trade your step-in parts for someone's standard parts.