Note to New Members ×

Question for those with dogs...

zoltan

So, my wife and I adopted a dog this Sunday.

She skis and I ride, and every weekend we we go to the local hill, and are gone for about 9 hours total. We're not sure how to handle the dog, since 9 hours is a long time without a potty break. I wanted to ask other dog owners how they handle it.

Personally, I was thinking about putting a small crate (he's a small dog) loaded with blankets in my car and just taking him with us. He could stay in the car while we ride, and we could visit him and let him out as needed. He'd also be able to hang out with us on the ride up and back. The temperature is usually in the 20 or low 30s, so it wouldn't be dangerous to him.

My dog stays home 9+ hours a day by himself during the week, without going out. A previous dog, was paper trained to go on newspaper spread out in the corner of our basement, and we left the basement door opened so she cold go as needed. We've left her home by herself for overnight before, with plenty of food and water, and access to the basement. All of my dogs have been trained to "self-eat," they never eat all their food at once. I've only had mid size to larger dogs. They've also been crate trained, so they love their crates, it's their own little den.

At my local hill when there is snow there are lots of people who do this. What kind of dog is it? Do you know its history? How old is it? If you are starting with a blank canvas (unknown behaviour) have some practice sessions. Leave the dog in the car for a little while and increase it gradually, always with something good at the end of the car holiday. Do not leave it to long as if its a worrier your car will look like a tiger has been having fun with the upholstery.

On your ski trip get up early and beast the dog so he/she is wrecked and will want to sleep the day away. Unless it is silly cold do not worry overtly about the temperature as dogs are outdoor beasts.

Its hard, especially when you get attatched to your mutt to leave them, but always remember its a dog not a kid, and dogs like to sleep. Mine likes snow and sleep

post-6153-141842357002_thumb.jpg

Your dog can learn as much as you are willing to teach it. Consistency and the proper tone of voice and that pile of clay can be anything you want it to be. It's inability to learn is probably only a reflection of ones unwillingness to commit the effort the animal deserves. As a responsible pet owner you owe it to the dog as well as anyone who comes in contact with your dog to have it trained to obey you at every command less than that and your dog is a liability. As the owner of working dogs as well as pets i cannot claim to posess all the skills necessary to train a dog to perform any and all tasks, recognize your own weakness and seek the help of others If some tasks are difficult for you, or the dog, share the task but be consistent in all aspects of the dogs training. Leaving any pet or person unattended in a vehicle is a crime in Canada but leaving a pet in a car that is checked regularly is not what i would call unattended. If the animal is well trained i would worry about someone stealing it.Yes it happens. The ability of your dog to hold it's bladder is something you won't be able to guage till you test it's resolve ! If the dog is secure i would opt to include the dog as often as you can in any and all activities rather than leave it alone. However if you have a willing neighbour letting the dog out for a quick run half way through the day would probably be better for the animal. Enjoy your new pet i'm sure his bladder will adjust to your life style. I'm not a fan of the paper training as we have a small dog that was trained to do this by a previous owner, The dog is lazy and will empty it's bladder whenever it wants and will not even make the effort to wait till the other dog is allowed out. My conclussion was lazy owner lazy dog. Now as second owners we are left with a poorly trained dog, not exactly the dogs fault!

How old is the dog? If it's a puppy, then it's a blank slate and you can train accordingly. I do think smaller increments of time at first will help the dog to get used to being in the car.

If it's a puppy, and he/she is crate trained at home, it will feel like home to have a crate in the car. This could also possibly save your car from complete destruction.

Taking him/her with you is a great idea, as long as you have a well ventilated car and the temps do not get too high.

Let him/her be a part of your life! Taking them with you snowboarding with little breaks will also allow some exercise for the dog, and maybe he/she will talk you into the local dog park/fav run after you get your jolllies on the hill. :D

My dogs are older now and they have a doggie door - complete freedom for me and them! When they were pups I did take them with me everywhere I went.

I've taken mine (2 border collie crosses) on ski road trips before. They're fine in the car - I make sure they get a good run in the morning, and then I come down every hour and a half or so, and let them out to tear around for 10 minutes.

I don't crate mine, just throw the seats down in the hatch to give them room. I also make sure I park in the sun, so the car warms up during the day, and crack the windows for a bit for fresh air and to control the heat.

If yours is a little guy, then a crate is a good idea. if he has destructive tendencies (most pups do), it will keep him contained, and likely he'll just hang out in there and sleep.

Dogs love being with you, and he'll have a much better time than being stuck at home. Enjoy!