Note to New Members ×

ebay

philfell

Will someone else tell this guy that the item he is selling isn't from the first year Burton made asym boards. I emailed him telling him that he was misrepresenting the product he is selling and he is convinced that this is a '90 pj when it isn't. He claims that since he worked for PSIA at the time he has an acurate memory of what year Burton started making PJ's and that this is the first one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7120714476&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

That's a '92! Owned one - well, the 6.4 anyway (Roses in deep-purple and fluorescent/lime green!) Gotta love them colors!

NOT the first year for the PJ! Didn't the first year (1990) have a symmetrical nose? Maybe we should direct him to this thread - get Jack and some other history buffs chiming in here too??

I have got some VHS-tapes with this board with Jean Nerva and Peter Bauer in it. I think it was in the mountains of Nevada just next to the desert. It was a commercialfilm for O'Neill I think, will have to get through all my snowboardtapes to look for. They had some oldfashioned colorfull clothing in the commercial and had Koflach or old Raichleboots (that were the old days of alpine snowboarding). It was at the beginning of the nineties or sooner. I have just seen this tape over and over again because of the nice powder/carveshots and the nice style of snowboarding.

Greets, Hans.

The first asym board I owned was the white and pink Burton PJ. I bought it with Burton Fex Bindings. They had three straps, one of which went around the lower shin area. The guy on ebay doesn't know his ass from his elbow. I'll try to e-mail ebay guy tomorrow at work. Jack's list above explains the color combination year to year.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

1990 - white/pink/grey, asym tail, symmetrical nose

1991 - marble notebook, colored tail, fully asym

1992 - roses

1993 - sawblades

1994 - solid colors with 6-shooter revolver on tail

1995 - R.I.P.

92 & 93 tie for coolest graphics!

I would vote for 93 for both the graphics and the geometry. The sawblade are amongst the coolest graphics EVER, and the geometry is quite uncommon (different running lenght on both edges AND reverse taper). I could scan it this weekend if anyone wants to see it.

I just got anther response from the seller stating that maybe his memory wasn't as good as he wishes, and he made revisions to his auction. I offer to send him home video of me riding this board and the year befores with the dates. Thanks to all who knows their PJ history.

I mentioned to him some things that did make this board special though, this was the last year Burton used their 5-hole pattern before switching to the 3D. And also these boards had a deeper heel sidecut than toe, the year before had the same radius toe and heel. And it's an old PJ in good condition I'll probably make a bid on it eventually.

d b, If you ever want to part with that PJ let me know. It would grace the wall of the bar at our ski house. That board made me hang up my skiis. Then it got ripped off at Sugarbush, VT and made me buy a Rossi 173 ironing board. How big is that PJ ? 165ish?

I won the Burton PJ 5.4 Goofy for $122 on eBay. I received the board and it is in very good condition!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7120714476&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I am on the hunt to find the matching bindings for the 5-hole pattern. My guess is that the bindings are Burton Variplate...very hard to find. I sent an e-mail to the webmaster at oldsnowboards.com to find any leads.

In other research, I read about an idea to cut up a white plastic cutting board and drill holes to match the existing 5-hole pattern, then drill a new set of holes to accommodate the modern 4x4 binding insert. This could be an interesting low-cost rig...

I currently ride Burton Step-ins. Midwest skiing with 30-second runs demands convenience. I have a craving to try the carving thing. A friend of mine rides a PJ and highly recommended the purchase.

Greg

Greg,

I'm sorry to say that what you have there is a collector's item - not a functional snowboard. It is an obsolete design that will most likely teach you some bad habits. There is more info on the rise and fall of asymmetrical snowboards in the tech articles section of this site.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Greg,

I'm sorry to say that what you have there is a collector's item - not a functional snowboard. It is an obsolete design that will most likely teach you some bad habits. There is more info on the rise and fall of asymmetrical snowboards in the tech articles section of this site.

I beg to differ while modern boards are indeed a step above the Asyms of old that doesn't mean that Greg can't can't have loads of fun on an old Asym especially as an ealy/late season board

Guest gb2004

I picked up a pair of Burton 5-hole bindings direct from oldsnowboards. My set came with mounting screws and a sweet matching leash. I was outbid on the ebay bindings, which I tried to pick up for extra cant/lift wedges and other spare parts. I would like to obtain a copy of the original owner's manual, if anyone has one available. I don't fully understand all the adjustment variables such as the content printed on the plates (3 degrees, 50%, 100%, FLEX).

My old ski boots seem to fit the bindings okay, so I'm willing to give it a shot. If I can string a few turns together to get the feel, I might end up buying the good stuff. I haven't felt any g's since the boat came out of the water...

post-1530-141842200221_thumb.jpg