Note to New Members ×

Hot Logical Asym 161

xacta168

Why would you want to ride an asym?

"Although time travel has been a common plot device in science fiction since the late 19th century, and the theories of special and general relativity suggest methods for forms of one-way travel into the future via time dilation, it is currently unknown whether the laws of physics would allow time travel into the past."

Or perhaps he relishes a challenge?

Hi,

I was wonedring what people thought about the Hot Logical Asym 161, I have as of yet to make it to the mountain with it for the first time, this will be my first Asym board.

It will get you down the mountain. Although I can tell you from personal experience, you should eventually get a proper carving board. I rode an asym board for way too many years, and now that I have updated my quiver, I have never had so much fun riding (even at the ripe age of 55).

ps- do you ride at Arizona Snow Bowl?

Those boards can be really really fun. You'll have more fore and aft body movement than is fashionable now, but if the snow's firm that's OK too. Hindsight isn't all that reliable, but as I look back to 20 years ago, my recollection is that I've never ridden better than I did on an original Hot Logical - incredibly lively pop off the tail heelside and some really deep initiations toeside. If it's an older board just be aware that it may have broken down quite a bit.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe that old boards are as much fun to ride as newer ones. Perhaps for the nostalgia factor, but our stance is assymetrical enough, why make the board that way? It makes absolutely no sense.

Ironically it was the asymetrical stance that brought about the side cut shift version of the asymetrical snowboards.

Fun is hard to quantify and is a very personal emotion , yes? Jim, you have ready access to some of the best conditions in the country, perhaps set aside a few runs to try one some time. It would be interesting to get your take on the experience.

Those boards can be really really fun. You'll have more fore and aft body movement than is fashionable now, but if the snow's firm that's OK too. Hindsight isn't all that reliable, but as I look back to 20 years ago, my recollection is that I've never ridden better than I did on an original Hot Logical - incredibly lively pop off the tail heelside and some really deep initiations toeside. If it's an older board just be aware that it may have broken down quite a bit.

In theory it was designed to reduce this movement. Shifting the center of the side cut radius was intentionally attempting to match the pressure points focused under or adjacent to the toes and heels.

In theory it was designed to reduce this movement. Shifting the center of the side cut radius was intentionally attempting to match the pressure points focused under or adjacent to the toes and heels.

Seems to me the idea was to get the sidecut more centered between the toes on one side and the heels on the other, given about a 45° stance. In practice certainly, my experience was that I really needed to move fore and aft to get my weight over the center of the sidecut on each side - basically just behind the midpoint between my toes on the one hand, and slightly ahead of midpoint heelside. Riding regular, firing hard left from above the fall line as on a modern board would really catch the nose hard. The move which worked best for me was a slight backward slide at the edge change, which would put me right over the sidecut and create massive acceleration. On a modern board you'd be hoplesssly back-seated by the same move. Even more fun was a forward dive into a right turn, and I'm afraid that even 15 years after I last rode an Asym (A PJ6.3) I still do that more than I should.

One of the reasons asymmetric snowboards went out of production is cost.

More reading for those who are interested.

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1027175

So in theory, in order to make the board handle the SAME on the heelside turn as it does on a toeside turn, the board would have to be asymmetric in order compensate for our bodies not flexing/powering the same, to be have the same ride. This was the premise used to design the asymmetric race snowboards. As snowboards got narrower, so the degree of asymmetry offset was reduced until it became negligeable and commercially unviable in a shrinking market requiring 2x the number of board models (goofy/regular). But the theory remains sound

http://www.gnu.com/snowboards/mens/park-pickle/

The Park Pickle takes the next step in snowboard specific geometries. Banana between your feet for easy riding, catch-free park freestyle performance, and unreal float in powder. Magne-Traction for unreal edge-hold everywhere. Asymmetric sidecuts and construction to balance the different turning mechanics required for heel side turns and toe side turns. Your body is asymmetric, your snowboard should be asymmetric. Park Pickles with a deeper heel side sidecut and unique asym core, are designed around progressive riding and modern freestyle duck stances in all terrain. Hand built by snowboarders at Mervin Mfg. using fast growing eco woods and environmentally friendly construction techniques, the Park Pickle is some delicious green technology! Pickle Technology!

2011 TWSNOW Good Wood Winner!

2011 SNOWBOARDER Best of Test Winner!

Asym makes a lot of sense especially for the beginner carver. Can't go back in time but I won't ever forget the feel (when I hadn't quite figured out where the edge was) when I first gently pushed my knees over the centerline, with too much tipping not enough unweighting and she locked on we took off.

That was a Mistral 167, almost twenty years ago and there are still a few runs that I did on that board that I haven't been able to replicate. More eurocarving fully laid out type runs on super steep terrain. I will also admit I don't like to body drag that much anymore but it does have a speed control and stabilizing factor as well.

Not saying I want to go back but I find a great condition one I would snap it up in a second. I went through three. Even if it's only to take it out once in a while it would be worth it.

To the OP: have you ridden plates before? A carving board? I had a couple buddies who were on the Hot. They seemed snappy and quick. I would be careful no to pressure the nose too much. But that would apply to any aged wooden core board. It may preform well under foot - exteme flexing off the tail or nose could cause discomfort. Good luck.

The biggest problem with old asyms is the super narrow stance. very difficult to go back to a 16" stance width after getting used to 20+

That, and the availability of reasonably priced modern boards...

I get the nostalgia factor, but it's not that great. to the OP: if this is an exercise in nostalgia, go with it...if you're thinking of this as your daily rider, sell it to a collector and pick up something built this century.