Note to New Members ×

new carving setup suggestions

gkanai

Hey folks,

I've been away from hard boots for 2 years, but am jonesing for them once again. Right now I'm on a Volkl Cross 167 (boardercross) with soft boots. I love the board but I cant carve as deeply as I want to.

As an aside: can my Volkl Cross support a TD2?

My last hard setup was a Mistral with Burton Races and Raichle 225s. I had a 169cm Burton Alp that I liked. I also had a mid 90's F2 race board that kicked my ass all over the mountain. That thing was so damn stiff. My first board was a '91 AsymAir with Flex bindings. Damn I loved that board.

Anyway, I'm thinking about a 17x cm freecarve board. I'm also 220#s. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I be going longer than 17x?

I'm going to order some TD2s, but barring that, I'll shop for board and boots here in Japan.

Fin- do you remember me from way back when? 1993? Copper?

Gen (in Tokyo)

I only ask because it effects shipping. If you are Military (or have access to a USPS buying from the USA is cost effective

If you are looking for gear sadly there are only two stores in Ochanimizu that stock Alpine. The Victoria Sports in Ochanimizu nearest the Guitar Street had a bunch of last years F2's for good (for Japan) prices, come to think of is there were some boards there for 30,000Y...they had other alpine stuff but I only remember the F2's. Venti (I think that was the name of it) is gone and it was absorbed back into Victoria Sports. There is one other shop that stocks alpine gear in Ochanimizu but I can't remember exactly where it is. As for price comparisons good luck everything that I was looking for was within 100Y and that was checking 10-15 shops...the only bargins were individual store's closeouts (that's where you find bargins on softgoods. My LLL (34") Mistral snowpants were 3400Y last year (the matching Jacket was only 4100Y but I have a Northface Mountain Light) If any of y'all don't know the exchange rate today 105Y= $1. There are other (often small) sports stores around that sell small quanities of Alpine gear including surprisingly Sport Authority, they had a few R17's, so you may have luck wandering a bit. The Mountain shops in Niigata had some Yonex and Ogasaka's but I wouldn't plan on that unless you have the time to explore (I don't). Also search out Used gear between now and Jan 1st much of that is on heavy discount.

YES! Doing the change on a familiar board may be a very good choice, especially if you like the board's characteristics. Don't get caught up in the longer is better race. Chose board length/sidecut to fit your target riding conditions, flex to your weight and use. At 220 lbs, you may end up getting a custom in the end, always expensive(relatively) but worth it.

Gecko, thanks for your ideas. I am not ex-pat or mil, unfortunately.

I could have my family bring over a board but I'd have to move Immediately and I'm not sure that I'm ready to buy just yet.

Maybe I'll browse Ochanomizu this weekend. If you're free and are willing to guide me, I'd love your help.

Gen,

Boards in Japan are expensive. You can get a Donek/Coiler/Prior shipped from the US for less than a board bought at Japanese retail prices.

Boots may be another story because I've heard (but don't know for sure) that boots attract a massive Japanese import duty.

One place to check out is <a href="http://www.transonic.co.jp/alpina/alpina.html">Alpina Sports</a>. They're a small specialty store in the heart of Ochanomizu and they sell TD2s, although it would be much cheaper to order them direct from Bomber. They are also the experts when it comes to bootfitting and molding Thermoflexes.

<a href="http://doco.net/snow/strangesnow.html">Alpina Sports</a> is on the 4th floor, and in the basement of the same building is another shop (can't remember the name) that sells some hard boots and alpine boards. They always seem to have a bunch of old boots in there that have been sitting on the shelves for years, so you might get a good deal there.

Victoria Sports is the biggie, but there's also Himaraya, but they seem to have less and less alpine stuff every year.

There's a chance I might be in Tokyo this Sunday, so let me know if you're heading to Ochanomizu and I'll show you around.

Maybe it's time for a JES (Japanese Expression Session)?

I'll be in Niigata carving this weekend. I will give you directions though take the JR/CHUO-LINE-RAPID to Ochanomizu station. It doesn't matter which end you leave the station but once you do cross the street and go downhill you will either be walking through a sleepy business area or down a street with hundreds of Guitar shops...at the bottom of the hill you will be in Tokyo's sporting goods/ski/snowboard district. Victoria Sports has two big stores one of which carries alpine gear the other may but not much. The Snowboard section was up a few floors though that may have changed as the season progessed. The store I was in had the whole middle of the Board display area taken up with Alpine boards. There are two Japanese manufacturers Yonex and Ogasaka though there are a bunch of locally made boards Ogasaka makes them all but the Yonex Boards. Moss, Gray and BC Stream are all nice...they also had a large supply of F2's at Thanksgiving. There were no R17's (Burtons) 4 weeks ago but that I know has changed so you will likely find them as well. What surprised me is that Local gear is more expensive than Import. If you speak Japanese (I don't well) you can ask around for the other Alpine gear store.

As for mountains I wasn't impressed with Nagano, the mountains reminded me too much of SoCal and the scenery is rather anti-climatic...Niigata is further away but easier to get to due to trains and hiways...the mountains are nicer and the scenery is like the Tetons or SLC...beautiful...Snow is dryier in Niigata as well...definatly try to do group tours it cuts down on the trip cost

BTW if you haven't been given the Japan Home Search link yet here it is...I hind it invalueable

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

There's a chance I might be in Tokyo this Sunday, so let me know if you're heading to Ochanomizu and I'll show you around.

Maybe it's time for a JES (Japanese Expression Session)?

Dude- that would be awesome! Morning? Afternoon? I need to juggle my schedule around so let me know.

Ore no keitai wa: zero hachi zero, san yon zero zero, ichi kyuu ichi zero desu.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

a thread saying that sims burners were still available in japan

they are great boards other than the tail breakage issue but really unless you buy a coiler, donek or madd there is not a better board you could have as far as performance goes

that is a biased view but based on my experience about 30 boards that is the truth

at 220 you could get a pretty long board and be able to power it around

gkanai,

You can find more shops that carry alpine stuff in Japan than in US. Also, you will see more alpine riders on the slopes.

Check out this website for some helpful links

http://www.carvingmachine.com/

There is a lot of alpine stuff available on yahoo auctions.

http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084032367-category-leaf.html

Another option is to find 1 to 2 year old boards that are sitting in a shop's inventory. I have purchased several boards that way and saved tons.

Check Vittoria Sports in Ochanomizu for boots (the building in the back has the alpine stuff - walk through the building on the main street to get to it).

Lots of decent resorts for carving here. Have fun!

If your slopes are narrow or crowded (which I've heard they are in Japan, no?) - Donek 179fcII. Same 11.2m radius as the 171, plus 8cms for your density. 19.5cm waist for your dogs. Or a Prior 4WD 179 - 10.5m radius, 21.4cm waist.

Actually I just noticed on Prior's site that they've got a discounted package deal on a new board with TD2s. That WCR175 is worth a look too.

nice to "see" you again!

I own a 167 Volkl Spline which is a softer version of the Cross. I used to ride it with soft boots but late last year, I threw my Trenchdiggers on tried it out with my hard boots. The ride was incredible! I had an absolute blast making quick, deep carves. I was really throwing my weight forward to initiate the turns and instead of the nose digging in, the board was "swooping" into SL-type turns.

I swear, it was the most fun I've had on snow in years.

Gen,

Right on, great to see you pop up again. Totally remember you. I think you where still in scholl at the time but I remember you where doing so work for some Japanese Companies in the US?

Good to see you back and making the move to plates again. Drop me a line anytime and we can help you out as well. Otherwise the "Guru's" here will help you out as well.

I am actually meeting the a guy named "Mac" today at our shop who makes "Gray" snowboards in Japan. Will be neat to hear about the scene over there. I just got a copy of the Japanese Carve magazine and it looks like the scene is doing just fine.

Welcome back :D

Originally posted by fin

I am actually meeting the a guy named "Mac" today at our shop who makes "Gray" snowboards in Japan. Will be neat to hear about the scene over there. I just got a copy of the Japanese Carve magazine and it looks like the scene is doing just fine.

Welcome back :D

Matter of fact, I bugged Michelle if I could borrow this Carve magazine. Any chance of that happening, Fin ?? :D