Note to New Members ×

Insane Motor Race - Isle of Man TT

GeoffV

the TT is something worth timing a europe trip for. even the police get into the spirit ... :biggthump

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

I went last year. I would LOVE to go back. What a gorgeous spot, and a fantastic time (if bloody cold forJune). If you're a bike junkie, the atmosphere alone is totally worth the trip.

And the racing ... insane. Standing behind a 2ft high stone wall while the bikes come past so close to you, you could reach over and touch them. Sitting on the grass 10 feet from bikes winging past at 130+ mph. Standing in a ditch with your eyes at road level, a couple of feet away from the wheels. And the wall of sound that precedes a bike coming through Kirkmichael village ...

"starts looking at my air miles balance"

They didn't have to sensationalize it by showing the dude hit the stone wall TWICE!

If you are referring to the tangential sheep spooker, he's in there 3x.

Broadcasting real live death has only recently come into vogue, so one can have some hope that he survived, perhaps with vitality. (Looks like he just missed the lower stonework.)

Gruppe B on two wheels.

Have the game TT Superbikes. Based on this. Play the game if you get the chance, it will give you some feel for the things you see here. Insane stuff to even think about doing. Have done a lot of high speed road stuff in the past, not now!! Anyone who even tries to ride this race gets instant respect points from me!

• 2 weeks later...
Nuts. Absolutely nuts. Some dudes must have died over the years.

Yep, and it is not just the racers! Preceeding the actual races, the course is open to the general public and almost every year one or two hot shoes over cook a corner and add their names to the list of potential Darwin Award winners.

I used to roadrace at the club level in Atlantic Canada when I was much younger and I love watching IOM vid. To visit is definately on my bucket list!