Note to New Members ×

Whistler Session

Gtanner

both GTANNER and i were late getting up the mountain. with close to a foot of fresh powder the gondola lines were just packed. neither of us got up to the roundhouse until about 10am which probably caused us to fail to meet up with both PATRICK and CHARLIE. hope you guys enjoyed all the powder--we certainly did.

by monday all this powder will be nicely packed over 2 days of grooming. monday morning should be epic corduroy as there is negligible snow forecast until then. hence the decision to hit all the fall-line groomers (springboard, gandy dancer, cruiser etc.) on blackcomb just off the rendezvous restaurant early in the morning.

looking forward to riding with everyone again.

Looks like tomorrow will be a great day of riding. Will bring out both softies and Plates to see what the conditions dictate. I plan on starting with the HB for the morning.

See anybody meeting up at 9am Rendezvous

Also I am driving up from New Westminster first thing in the morning if anybody is trying to find a ride. PM me your number and I will check this board in the morning and give you a call to make arrangments. Planing on Leaving New West Sapperton Area at 6:30am latest.

John

Edited by eastcoastcarve

great riding with everyone yesterday.

GTANNER said he was going to monitor snow conditions before making a definite decision to ride on any particular day--sounds good since we had to suffer through deep powder on the 18th and just enough snow on the 20th make it a bit bumpy (i hope the east coast guys aren't reading this and comment about a west coast a**hole complaining about too much snow.) i just checked the weather report. up to 10 cm tonight and up to 5cm tomorrow so wednesday will be a powder day--poor carving conditions. however thursday will be great no snow the night before and it will be sunny--hero conditions. so i am revising my original plan of riding on the 22nd and 24th to riding on the 23rd and 25th instead.

see you guys up there on the 23rd--conditions will probably be the best so far this year for hero corduroy.

Saw some of you guys on solar. If it wasn't because of work, I would definitely ride with you guys.

Update on snow condition:

Feb. 20: Most bumps/moguls run got fill-in. Nice carving snow condition.

Feb. 21: Little bumps build up during lunch. Still good snow condition.

Will go up to Whistler until Friday. Riding softies.

hi GTANNER et al

i'm shocked!! the whistler forecast last night was accurate for once lol.

just checked the whistler snow report a few minutes ago and no new snow overnite...cool and sunny (like SONNY STITT) tomorrow morning so it should be nice firm corduroy.

hopefully you won't have any family obligations tomorrow and can join me for some turns. i've been waiting for this type of snow condition for the last 2 weeks to try out the 2012 carbon silberpfeil and despite catching a slight cold today i am going to take a contact-c and wake up at 4 am to apply a heat pack to my shoulder for at least 3 hours tomorrow morning in order to give myself every possible advantage to have an awesome carving day.

i've been riding very conservatively the last few days to avoid re-injuring my shoulder but tomorrow i'm bringin' it. if i reinjure the shoulder i can't think of any better snow conditions to do it in.

hope to see you tomorrow.

later

doug

Riding at Whistler during the day. Saw a couple hard booters. Happened to sit with one of the riders on Burton Factory Prime. His name is David. He was doing the time trial in the boardercross track on race board. David, told me there will be a PGS event next month. Probably, I will bring my athletes up to do that race.

Riding at Whistler during the day. Saw a couple hard booters. Happened to sit with one of the riders on Burton Factory Prime. His name is David. He was doing the time trial in the boardercross track on race board. David, told me there will be a PGS event next month. Probably, I will bring my athletes up to do that race.

hi PAN

i saw that guy too. he had a red factory prime right? and what looked like a briko shaped helmet? he was also carrying a second board as he was riding towards the race course the first time i saw him. was it that salomon boardercross shaped board with plate bindings that was sticking in the snow by the starting gates? i couldn't see the topsheet but the base definitely said SALOMON and it had plate bindings.

conditions were just too good that i didn't want to waste unrrecoverable riding time to go check out the boardercross race--most of the racers looked older. masters?

i bumped into a german guy named ANDY riding a yellow f2 speedster. he commented that i was the first guy he saw in whistler riding an f2 (i was on the 2012 carbon silberpfeil--great board and will write a review later.) ANDY wore what looked like black raichle flexons with yellow tongues (fult tilts?) he was also wearing a yellow and blue jacket with a cross on the back. it looked to me like a ski patrol jacket. is ANDY a bol member or do any of the canadian ski patrol bolers know him? would like to have talked to him more but i was more preoccupied with trying to get at the relatively untouched corduroy as that was just before 9am--my first run of the day. ANDY also seem to be carrying a pretty serious looking camera and was preoccupied with taking pictures so we got separated soon after meeting. btw he said that i was the 5th hardbooter he saw that morning--maybe you saw the same guys as he did.

GTANNER had to attend a family birthday party so we just exchanged greetings via text. GTANNER rode on the whistler side with his family. i stayed mostly on blackcomb as it seem to have better carving conditions today. did the solar chair and crystal chair all day. springboard, ross's gold, cruiser, ridgerunner and a few other lesser known groomers. the sun didn't show much so the snow stayed firm almost until closing time--what great carving conditions we had today!

hi GTANNER

are your family obligations going to prevent you from entering the boardercross race on the 25th and 26th? if not then i will come up on the 26th (instead of the 25th as there is less snow forecasted on the 26th) to take some photos of you during breaks from snowboarding.

i'll wait for the evening forecast to see if anything changes and revise accordingly. currently, neither day looks like a good carving day. actually the 27th is the best day in the 5 day forecast--cold and sunny with no new snow from the previous night. if you won't be entering the boardercross race please let me know ASAP either here or phone or text so i can make alternate plans to go on the 27th (with BORIS if he is over his cold by then) to make some turns with SNOWBOARDWORM.

later

doug

Im going to be in whistler for the provincial high school races on the 27 - 29. BlueB. You owe me some chocolate! You able to make it??

greg

hi SNOWBOARDWORM

depending on whether or not GTANNER will be able to race in the boardercross on the 25th and 26th, i might be able to make it on the 27th. i am going to be out of town feb 28 to march 4th so the 27th is the only day of the 3 that i can possibly make it.

BLUEB has a bad cold which might still be lingering on the 27th. if so then i will go get your chocolate from him and deliver it to you lol.

you can get my cellphone number from BLUEB or i can get yours from him if i do come up on the 27th.

btw do you have a child competing in the provincials?

later

doug

Is anyone going tomorrow? Looks like another super powder day. I just hope they don't wait until 11 AM to open the peak chairs.

hi CHARLIECHOCOLATE

my motto is: if it's powder, stay home. lol

sorry we missed you on the 18th--didn't get off the gondola until about 10am.

i will be there either the 26th or 27th if you are still around.

have fun tomorrow. with about 30cm since last night and possibly another 10 tonight there should be lots of fresh powder.

So I'm signed up for the BX race this weekend. Time-trials tomorrow and 4x4 on Sunday. Tomorrow I'll be probably bringing a pow board aswell so that I can take an hour at the start and end of the day and enjoy the soft-stuff.

As for Sunday, some family will be up, but significantly less. Not sure of their exact plans as of yet. Otherwise, I'm hoping to ride on the 28th before we fly out.

-Gord

Hi Pan, it's David spoke with you on the lift at Whistler the other day.I encourage all you carvers to make the effort and come out to the Kokanee PGS on thursday March 15 it's the last race of the season,tons of prizes and it will spook the skiers to see a bunch of hard booters turn up.For the record the other board I had under my arm and sticking out of the snow wasn't a saloman but a Skwal

I'm up Whistler every weekend would like to carve with some new people

regards David

So I'm signed up for the BX race this weekend. Time-trials tomorrow and 4x4 on Sunday.

good for you GORD. i'll bring my camera on sunday and try to get a few photos of your 4x4 heats in between carving runs to post on bol. don't worry about meeting up with me for some turns after the race as i know you wll barely have enough time for both the race and all your relatives from back east.

good luck in the race.

So I'm signed up for the BX race this weekend. Time-trials tomorrow and 4x4 on Sunday. Tomorrow I'll be probably bringing a pow board aswell so that I can take an hour at the start and end of the day and enjoy the soft-stuff.

As for Sunday, some family will be up, but significantly less. Not sure of their exact plans as of yet. Otherwise, I'm hoping to ride on the 28th before we fly out.

-Gord

Good luck. Your too fast to chase :eplus2:

Doug, post pixs please.

RT

Whistler BX Race Report:

Ok so here’s what happened on the weekend.

Friday night it snowed ~37cm…which was awesome, however not so awesome for the 173 Coiler VSR which was turning out to be a SICK BX stick. So through the day Saturday, I bounced through the powder bumps and ran the course faster and faster throughout training. All was going well until I released twice on my front binding in one run…then something didn’t feel right. It felt like my front foot wasn’t fully engaged in the binding…like my front toe was lifting up…which felt oddly like it did last year when I cracked a shell…here I’m thinking “oh crap not again”.

Ok so dilemma time, I had 20 mins until training closed, and I had brought my powder board (Tanker) and soft boots up to the top of the mountain so that I could hit some pow after the Time-Trial. So after tightening up my TD2s and it still feeling weird, I went to Plan B and ran the time-trial on the pow-stick…with one run of half-speed training. Results from Day 1 – Top qualifier!!

Post-mortem on the board/bindings/boots, no cracked shell and a pair of bent toe-bails.

Day 2, it was effin cold, but bluebird sky. I decided to not risk the hardboots and switched to my new BX board (F2 Eliminator with softies) that I’d ridden twice and ended up having a great day, didn’t lose the red bib, and won the race...and realized that I miss racing. Hopefully our Vancouver relocation plan can come to fruition and I can start coaching.

Happy Shredding!

-Gord

Hi Pan, it's David spoke with you on the lift at Whistler the other day.I encourage all you carvers to make the effort and come out to the Kokanee PGS on thursday March 15 it's the last race of the season,tons of prizes and it will spook the skiers to see a bunch of hard booters turn up.For the record the other board I had under my arm and sticking out of the snow wasn't a saloman but a Skwal

I'm up Whistler every weekend would like to carve with some new people

regards David

Hey David, nice to meet you. If possible, I will try to come up for the race.

Anyone else planning to go up to Whistler too?