Note to New Members ×

Breck status?

johnstewart

How's Breckenridge right now?

A buddy has a line on some free lift tickets next weekend; thinking of burning some frequent flier miles to get out there for a couple of days.

Is it worth it?

This may be my last chance to get out west for a while (in Wisconsin); kid #2 is due in March.... but if the place isn't covered very well, would prefer to save the money!

Some trails opened on Peak 7 this weekend. I've never been there, and no one on the board has posted a ride report yet this season. So far I haven't heard positive things about the place in terms of carving terrain, and it could be crowded with nutbags on weekends, but if you set your expectations appropriately, riding could be much better than not riding.

• 1 month later...

We're headed out there feb 18-25th. I'm not a huge Breck fan but we have a free slopeside place to stay.

It looks like they are mostly open, but the snow in videos from this week looks like frozen crusties... similar to the East Coast...X^P

I hope there is enough powder to make the hike to whales back worth it. It should be fine for carving down below at least.

We're headed out there feb 18-25th. I'm not a huge Breck fan but we have a free slopeside place to stay.

It looks like they are mostly open, but the snow in videos from this week looks like frozen crusties... similar to the East Coast...X^P

I hope there is enough powder to make the hike to whales back worth it. It should be fine for carving down below at least.

Hey locals.

I know Brokenridge is low on the preferred list, but has anyone been or heard anything?

I can only bring one board...with the lack of snow I'm wondering if I should bring a beater.

Breck is 99% open with a 53" base. I still haven't been there, but if it is anything like A-Basin and Keystone the groomers are fine and you are unlikely to take rock damage except from the occasional floater. If you go off groom or in the trees anything can happen. The groomer quality around here is generally pretty good. It can be soft and easily cut up after new snow, but we aren't experiencing icy conditions right now. Ace posted some hints on runs in the Summit thread.

Thanks! I think I'll stay on the groom and bring the new Tanker 192.

I could be wrong, of course, but my preference would be for something more nimble. Breck will probably be stupid crowded from a carver's perspective. The Tanker might be ok from Tuesday, but on Sat/Sun/Mon it might be like trying to sail the Yamato up the Kennebec.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.

Had a great trip, stayed mostly on peak 8 and 10. Monday was a bit crowded and actually had frozen East Coast carving conditions, saw MANY hardpack wipeouts. Had a light powder day on Tuesday with great carving conditions, then about a foot of COLD WINDY freshies on both Wed and Thursday. Friday was too crowded to bother. Not much sun all week but still very fun overall.

Tanker 192 has a small 10.5 meter sidecut so very controllable to carve in crowds and FLOATYLISHIOUS in the pow.

Would have loved to rip with the gang at Loveland but was stuck with the family slopeside at Breck. Hopefully next year.

Full price lift tix were only $25 less than one way airfare at $111...WTF? Had $69 buddy tix for first 2 days at least.

Lucha's downtown had fantastic $3.50 margaritas and $1 tacos for happy hour. Hot habanero garlic salsa was A+.

ds