Note to New Members ×

Left HANDED people look here.

wingnuts514

My brother and I have been debating this for years....

I'm left handed, and by left handed I mean I do everything left handed, write,shoot a rifle, play sports, kick a ball, throw a ball, scissors, etc. I do everything left. I know there are mixed up lefties out there that do some things left and some right...but your a weirdo, pick a side!:freak3:

Anyways, if you're a true lefty like me (atleast kick a ball left footed) which way do you ride? regular or goofy?

It would be interesting to see that thread, my brother thinks I'm backwards because I ride regular instead of goofy.

I think having your strong foot forward is the ideal way to ride considering much of the steering/stability comes front the front foot, especially at high speeds.

You know what they say, "put your best foot forward" :biggthump

I'm a lefty, ride goofy. My wife is right handed, rides goofy. My riding buddy is right handed, rides goofy. Makes is easier going up the 3 person chair.

More to do with how you steer the board, I use my rear leg, like a slalom water ski, so I want my stronger leg at the rear. But I do kick left.

It gets worse, right handedness and right footedness are not quite realted, either. In theory right handed person should be left footed (the way the nerves are lined up in our boddies and how the 4 legged animals walk). However, I'm right handed and right footed, kick right, yet jump of my left, ride all types of boards goofy, yet had left fighting guard when I was into karate...

It might have more to do with the stronger eye (forward)? My 5 year old kid doesn't see to well in his right eye (righthanded) and he steps regular onto skate in 90% of cases...

It might have more to do with the stronger eye (forward)? My 5 year old kid doesn't see to well in his right eye (righthanded) and he steps regular onto skate in 90% of cases...

I had wondered about that too, but after reading these wiki pages....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footedness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laterality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

This was on one of the pages

Approximate statistics are below:[3]

Favoring right hand: 88.2%

Favoring right foot: 81.0%

Favoring right eye: 71.1%

Favoring right ear: 59.1%

Same hand and foot: 84%

Same ear and eye: 61.8%

How about this:

- I am right handed (throw right handed, write right handed).

- I am left eyed (I shoot [guns, bird hunting] left).

- I am left footed (I kick left footed).

- I carve, regular

- I slalom ski (water), goofy

- I skate vert and freestyle, regular

- I downhill skate (sliding, etc.), goofy.

How about this:

- I am right handed (throw right handed, write right handed).

- I am left eyed (I shoot [guns, bird hunting] left).

- I am left footed (I kick left footed).

- I carve, regular

- I slalom ski (water), goofy

- I skate vert and freestyle, regular

- I downhill skate (sliding, etc.), goofy.

You're one of those confused people I was talking about! haha j/k :smashfrea

I'm left everything and goofy.

write left

kick left

hockey stick left

bat left

club left

left eye

The only 2 things I can think of that I do right handed are guitar and mouse. I know one lefty that plays left guitar, and a different lefty that actually uses the mouse left. The guitar left I can understand, the mouse left bothers me.

I'd say I'm a true lefty, lefty everything, except use a computer mouse and drink, probably just conformed there. I waterski and board goofy. Probably started boaarding goofy cuz of the waterski experience. I would think whatever leg you kick with you would want in the back. Just me.

I'm left handed and ride goofy, do almost everythign left handed.

Training regular stance in Muay Thai and windsurfing has helped me get more adept at right handedness, but I doubt I could do much regular stance as well as standing switch. That said, I feel way more comfortable standing in the southpaw/switch/goofy stance for almost anything than the other way.

When i did lasik surgery and they operated on the right eye first, meaning i had better sight in one eye for a period of 3 months between the two operations, I did find myself getting a little confused sometimes; I think your left eye leads and that supports the rest.

Music wise I played drums, piano, trombone all as per normal (i.e. right handed way, not an odd opposite way), but none of those have a substantial penalty for hand use; at an early age my mum was told not to give me a violin, because it would almost impossible to play at a high level being so strongly left handed (string instruments like guitar etc are reliant on 'handedness' it seems, whereas piano arguably is less so, since more challenging pieces often require decent skills in both hands).

Mouse is right hand, only because I am part of the pre mouse generation, when they introduced that it was on the RHS, so I used it there. Mostly use keystrokes shorthand anyhow so am not a regular mouse user in MSoffice where i can help it.

Even sailing, I steer most of the way around the course with my left hand, running the extension across my body on one tack and not the other.

Windsurfing is about the only sport where i am pretty even riding both sides; I would guess that kiting if I ever bother doing some might find to be the same, whereas snowboarding feels inherently better standing switch/goofy as you aren't doing anything else other than standing there (windsurfing/kiting you can fiddle around with the harness and so on).