Note to New Members ×

Designated carving hill, a crazy idea???

heyadams

Has anyone ever promoted the idea of a designated carving hill, similar to a terrain park? It could be gated on top with signage explaining the rules and maybe some tips on how to carve. Put in a high visibility area (under a lift) to attract more interest. Open to skiers and boarders alike. Groom it 4 times a day (OK, now I’m really dreaming) 10 years ago who would have thought they would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on special equipment and labor to build terrain parks? This is easy in comparison.

I would gladly wait 10 minutes to have a shot at a completely empty hill on a busy day.

- Would provide a congregation area for carvers to get to know

each other

- Would increase our skills, your fellow carvers are watching

- Would promote the sport of carving and attract more

participants (read more demand for gear = more manufactures

providing product = more local shops stocking gear)

Pipe dream?????????????????????

Guest stickmansurf

Pipe Dream....not necessarily. No pun intended put it wasn't that long ago that 1/2 pipes were a pipe dream at many resorts.

Remember though, at one point, skiers were not allowed in 1/2 pipes. Another item.... when many skiers really disliked snowboarders and viewed us as "dangerous" , they wanted to segregate us to our own hill. Would this turn out to be an "I told you so" on their part?

Maybe we should just pony-up and buy a small resort and have rider-owners (similar to Mad River Glen) and make it a snowboard-only mountain.

Ditchside housing, anyone?

Stickman

I think this was done at one of the ECES's at Stratton. Correct me if I'm wrong?

This is a Fantastic Idea! However, given current carver volumes, I think it is only feasible during expression sessions, where there would be a constant flow of carvers to entertain the lift and lodge audience.

If I could ever make the time to get to an expression session, I would definitely ride a carver only trail. Yummy!

This riding on closed slope one by one is called ... umm, racing (at least I believe that this is correct word). Whole slope only for you, all others watching. Not sure about 10 minutes waiting time, usually it takes longer.. On downside is also that they plant poles on track for some reason unknown yet to me.

:D

a hill/trail mostly to carve at will but with manmade bumps in the right places for jump turns plus some gates for racing plus a Limbo challenge at the bottom would be a good start I think ...

There are easily enough carvers at <a href="http://www.hunter.co.jp">my local mountain</a> to justify this, but most of those carvers are on skis. A run set aside for carving would be very busy.

But I don't see what the advantage is. Those carving skiers are my biggest danger because their turns are fairly shallow and they go FAST, which isn't so compatible with my full-C turns. I'd probably want to avoid any hill that was set aside for carving.

Allright, no skiers, I was just trying to be nice

Also I have to disagree with the guy who brought up racing. The goal in racing is to beat the other person down the hill......period.

Carving is about going fast, but it's also about STYLE.

I got to see Klug race last year and he was fast (he won), but he wasn't pretty. The course was rutted out and these guys were all over the place trying to keep it together.

Actually, I believe I've seen this being covered in SAM magazine (Ski Area Management). Very interesting article. Quite cheap to maintain too as opposed to terrain park!

Originally posted by heyadams

Has anyone ever promoted the idea of a designated carving hill, similar to a terrain park? It could be gated on top with signage explaining the rules and maybe some tips on how to carve. Put in a high visibility area (under a lift) to attract more interest. Open to skiers and boarders alike. Groom it 4 times a day (OK, now I’m really dreaming) 10 years ago who would have thought they would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on special equipment and labor to build terrain parks? This is easy in comparison.

I would gladly wait 10 minutes to have a shot at a completely empty hill on a busy day.

- Would provide a congregation area for carvers to get to know

each other

- Would increase our skills, your fellow carvers are watching

- Would promote the sport of carving and attract more

participants (read more demand for gear = more manufactures

providing product = more local shops stocking gear)

Pipe dream?????????????????????

besides sabotaging the lift as you get off would be racing.

If someone does get in your way you get to ask for a rerun.(not bx)

racing is safe - You not only have the run to yourself but first aid is quick to arrive if you ditch it hard.

The races I tried were usually not that technical. Clean carves and a speed suit would put you on the podium. Ruts were often side slipped away between racers.

I highly recommend some racing or just race training to any carver looking to up their skill set.

Guest snowsamurai

Hey I actually may be able to get you a carving hill at Wachusett. It would only bre feasable during an expression session, and we would have to run it like an"event" that would generate something positive for the mountain. I am the head of our new alpine department and am ggo friends with the vice president of the mountain. If I can get thirty or more people to come, I think I could get one of our race courses, and take the gates out.

Peace Jerome Crandall Hollick

Alpine coordinator

Wachusett mtn

Princeton Mass

Guest snowsamurai

Hey I actually may be able to get you a carving hill at Wachusett. It would only bre feasable during an expression session, and we would have to run it like an"event" that would generate something positive for the mountain. I am the head of our new alpine department and am good friends with the vice president of the mountain. If I can get thirty or more people to come, I think I could get one of our race courses, and take the gates out.

Peace Jerome Crandall Hollick

Alpine coordinator

Wachusett mtn

Princeton Mass