Note to New Members ×

Paypal scam?

two_ravens

I'm trying to sell an old truck and have placed a few ads online - so far I've listed on Craig's List and have placed a local online classified. All of the responses so far look like scams of one sort or another, but I'm trying to figure out what the scam is with this one. The guy has sent numerous emails insisting that I sell him "the item" and let him pay with Paypal, each email more insistent and less believable than the next. I don't have any experience selling on the internet and am trying to figure out exactly what the scam is here. I've always thought Paypal was pretty safe, and that link appears to go to the real Paypal sight...???? Maybe he just wants my real email address so he can hack that? Can anyone tell me what's going on with this one?

"Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks"

I came to learn two tips to use Craigslist and avoid scammers:

1) Always hide you email: don't even anonomize it, just hide. Quite frankly there's no reason why if someone is really interested in your item he/she shouldn't just call you

2) Only put your phone number in the ad, and trick it out so it won't be recognized by machines: for example instead of zero use capital "O", instead of 1 use capital "I". Or simply spell out one of the digit...

This way you can weed out all the porkers Kenyans...

Btw, some email providers (like Google) have a thing call "Show Original" that shows you the code behind the email. In this code sometimes you can find the IP address of the computer/ISP that sent the email. There's several services online that let's you track the IP and can tell you where it was... Most of them are some Internet Coffee in Kenya... :AR15firin:AR15firin

I'm an online retailer and deal with all the major credit cards plus PayPal. Fraudulent transactions pop occasionally but we've managed to catch all but one over a five year stretch. I've never had a problem with a PayPal transaction until recently. A Canadian buyer bought some slalom skis and used PayPal. There certainly would have been no problem transferring the money but neither his PayPal membership nor address was confirmed/verified. PayPal limits Seller's protection in those cases. I tried to contact the buyer to get proof of his address and he didn't respond to emails or phone calls. Paypal tried to reach him with no luck. I hate to turn down a $1000 order but had no choice so I canceled it. I don't know what his game is but I suspect he's figured out a way to tap into someone else's bank account.

Just following the verbiage you've outlined, it's definitely a scam.

Hey, thanks everyone for all the info. Yes, it became clear to me that this one is some kind of a scammer and I have ceased emails (if I'd been more tuned in to internet scams I would have caught it on the first email from him - what I posted was the second one.)

I'll look into reporting him. The 'no email' suggestion is good, and cash only too - I had been thinking I would accept paypal, but this truck is only worth about $1000, so cash should be doable. Have a regular newspaper ad starting tomorrow - hoping that will reach some real people. :rolleyes:

You can usually tell too. People who are emailing and asking legit questions like how many miles or have you changed the oil regularly makes it sound like a real person, not "I'm in a hurry and have to get this ASAP". I bought a truck via craig's list and I emailed the guy a lot, but I was asking some pretty specific questions. Good luck!

I would guess it's a fake paypal page. They are hoping people will sign up for paypal, giving their bank details, or they'll get the password to an existing paypal account. paypal is safe, but like any sign in on the net, know how you arrived at the log on page.

A bit sidetrack remark -- I've participated in #OpPayPal and I have closed my account with PayPal. Mostly out of political and ethical practise of theirs, I question.

As for the scammer, I'm truly GLAD you got suspicious. An acquaintance of mine out in Vail got really screwed BADLY by several thousands of dollars when he placed an ad for his motorcycle on uh... ebay, I think. Yeah, it has to be ebay. Poor fellow. He was extremely upset about it for quite some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a run down on how the oceanographer at sea scam works . . .

"A seller (victim) placing their car for sale on a car sale website. The buyer contacts them advising he is an oceanographer, away at sea or unable to access banking facilities. The buyer suggests he is buying the car as a gift for a family member and advises the only way he can pay is via a dedicated (legitimate) online payment service. Once underway the buyer advises he is using an agent to pick up the vehicle and needs the seller to help him out by transferring money into his agent’s account, promising to reimburse him via direct payment from the online payment system. The seller may proceed with this after receiving a (fake) email from the payment service advising the money is ready to be reimbursed to him once he deposits the money. The buyer will continue with this, including asking the seller to pay insurance and other costs."

Source:
Queensland Police Service Media Release

Also, regarding anyone who says he's an "oceanographer at sea". BS-real oceanographers work with larger foundations/agencies that maintain infrastructure to allow easy contact with the mainland. Heck, my ex- works for a company that operates rigs for Shell. His caller ID when he calls is always a local phone number, even when he worked off the coast of Malaysia. It was the same when he was in Iraq working for Halliburton. He's off the coast of Brazil and I could fax him a document right now if I needed to contact him or call him

Another angle of the same scam . . .

PayPal allows buyers to dispute a transaction and ask for a ‘chargeback’, which means you have to return the funds. Meanwhile, your auto is gone and you have no way of recovering because the phony buyer has disappeared.

Yeah, the whole "oceanographer at sea, no phone" thing was clearly scam - I used to work for Shell....

And the part about "can you assure me it's in good state and I will not be disappointed..." Um... yes, it's in Wyoming, which is a great state! The truck however is 50 years old and needs work. I did consider that a dispute over the condition of the truck might be part of the scam. No way I was selling to someone without them seeing it.

(BTW, the truck sold on Sunday to a buyer who is super stoked and has immediately begun full restoration. He's just 24 miles away, so I get to drop by, visit my old ride and watch the transformation! :biggthump)