Note to New Members ×

Snow King

two_ravens

So we are told that operations passed from Snow King Resort to a non profit called Friends of Snow King on May 1, and that the Land Trust will be buying 35 acres at the base and deeding it to the non profit. Summer lift service just started up (originally they weren't going to run this summer) so that is a good sign. No word yet on pass prices, hours/days of operation or anything else for next winter, so we'll just have to wait and see..... :lurk:

• 2 months later...

And the bad news is.... apparently the ink was not as dry on that deal as they made it sound. Snow King Resort took back operations of the hill this summer, the non-profit group dissolved, and now the entire resort is up for sale. Snow King says they plan to operate the hill this winter, but are hinting that hours/days/services may be scaled back. That would suck, as the grooming budget was already cut by 50% last year. Doubt it will get any better for next season..... :(

As for SkES, the future is uncertain. :confused: Advance bookings are down, and the organizers aren't sure about taking on the monumental task of putting the event on for yet another year. Given the likelihood of abysmal conditions at the King next season, there is some talk of changing the format a bit - maybe turn it into a Wydaho "Power of Four" event that takes the participants to Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Grand Targhee and Kelly Canyon as well as the fabled King. Perhaps the updated format will spark some renewed interest....?

• 3 months later...

Yay, the King isn't dead! Long live the King! The hill opened on time, Sat Dec 10. I arrived at the lift 1 minute before the opening bell, and there were actually 3 people already in line ahead of me!!! :angryfire A respectable crowd, considering it was 5 below, with only 1 lift going and 2 runs open.... Have to say I do like the vibe at the King though - there was one alpine skier, one telemarker, one softbooter, and me on my Coiler Stubette. I'd say that's a nice representation of the the snow sliding sports! :ices_ange

(BTW - they lowered pass prices to only $149 to try to drum up interest. Worked well, they doubled season pass sales. Guess that explains the massive lift line!!)

Hey Casper - good to hear you'll be getting out on a board! Knees must be recovering well???

The grooming has been good, though limited. Still just Lane 7 and Cougar open for carving, but they've just been grooming 1 run each night - I think they're still trying to get the tube park shaped up. Hoping they'll groom BOTH runs after they get that open (is that really too much to ask? Really?!?!?) The snow has been firm, but really quite stellar for manmade stuff.

Sad, but it looks like I may not ride at all this week - headed out of town Wed early, and may have too much to do to get out on Tues. :-( But you might try to get Snow King Dave to make a run or two - he's threatening to get on a board again this season. :)

Cheers!

Looks like I may not have to work Sunday, so could come out for a few laps in the morning. (I'll know my schedule for sure Sat night.... yeah, love how they do the scheduling at my job. :() The King isn't open Mondays this year, unless they're doing it just for Christmas week....???

I'll be looking much like my avatar photo, have a new jacket but it's the same shade of yellow. :)

I went to the king yesterday morning. The manmade snow mixed with the little bit of snow we did get was pretty good. The snow is pretty abrasive so choose the right wax, my board would barely move. The grooming was quite smooth, they have a new groomer and Brandon is back grooming! I only made two runs, the knees were pretty shaky and not much strength. :(

Hey Don, very cool to dig a few trenches with you! Today the snow was a bit funky anyway with warm overnight temps and little grooming - you hit it on the good day! Have fun, hope to catch you up there again sometime. :biggthump

Casper, sorry you had a rough time with the snow - yeah, between manmade abrasiveness and cold temps, the right wax really helps. I mostly use a Dominator wax that's good to -20. Really hard stuff, so difficult to melt or scrape, but it usually works pretty well. Take care of those knees - will be great to see you back on your game soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm coming up tomorrow, (saturday), to ride Snow King for a few hours. Coming up on Sunday afternoon to stay for a couple of days. Prolly riding with a friend from England at Jackson Hole. We'll be on Mono's. In case you're curious come out and play with us...

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My address is often misspelled as "Smoking Ave." instead of Snow King - and that may be the more accurate name. I'm 3 blocks outside of the official evacuation advisory area......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151051828428861&set=a.10150676723173861.394039.6374778860&type=1&theater

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=8997

More photos. #8 shows the LOTOJA bike race in progress as they pass the start of the fire. To add to the insanity, my dad and I were driving by this with a trailer load of old wood from a fence we had torn down, just as the fire was starting to run up the mountain and packs of bikes everywhere, plus all their support vehicles (206 mile race.) A few miles down the road we were stopped at a bridge - a cyclist had swerved to miss a pot hole and went off the bridge. First responders needed a backboard and ripped into our load of wood to find something suitable to stabilize him to get him out of the river. Sadly, the cyclist did not survive. Crazy, crazy day.....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.282998861816410.65476.100003188960420&type=1

http://www.planetjh.com/news/A_108704.aspx