Note to New Members ×

Snow King

two_ravens

Bryan, thanks for embedding the photos and especially the video about the cyclist - what a senseless tragedy. The surface on that bridge has been in horrible shape for years - I bet they get it fixed now, but so awful that someone had to die.

Fire crews did a superb job yesterday holding the line in spite of almost worst weather conditions possible. Communication towers on top of Snow King are still standing, though still in danger.

Michelle, Rabbit and the chickens and I all moved out last Thursday, the only things I have left in Jackson are the house itself and a few tools. House move is now scheduled for Thursday this week. I'll post up about that later when I have some time, since it was SkES house after all....

http://www.planetjh.com/news/A_108712.aspx

Town still safe, for now... Only 10% contained, 2,700 acres, and about 1/2 mile from triggering an evacuation. Rabbit and I are safe, just my house is potentially in danger now.

Links to a rather dramatic photo and the latest news update.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151091549299877&set=a.104218799876.94682.6095759876&type=1&relevant_count=1

http://jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=9000

Cool photo of the fire taken yesterday afternoon (9/12.) The part that is worrisome isn't so much the top center & right where all the smoke is, but the upper left that is currently pretty quiet. Throughout the region the prevailing winds come out of the west (bottom right corner) but in Cache Creek Canyon the prevailing winds come out of the east - straight toward town. So they've been hitting that area really hard with retardant and water. At this point I don't think the town itself is really in too much danger, but hot dry windy weather is predicted for the weekend, so it could possibly get away from them again. And all the communications towers on the top of Snow King are still potentially in harm's way...

post-6122-141842371031_thumb.jpg

Town is now pretty safe - evacuation alert was lifted for the town of Jackson Friday evening. However, it is still burning and is now headed toward a subdivision of very nice homes in Game Creek Canyon south of Jackson.

We could use the rain if you can spare it! No real precip at all in our forecast. A new fire just started near Pinedale yesterday, plus several that have been burning for weeks - smoke, smoke everywhere.......