Note to New Members ×

What's the big deal with carbon fiber?

Helvetico

I understand titanal, or titanium, or whatever the nomenclature is: great damping and good ice grip: got me one of them boards and it works goodly.

Can anyone out there explain explain the advantages/disadvantages of carbon fiber boards in layman's terms? Is this a replacement for or an addition to titanium?

smooth like metal, poppy like glass. apparently?

Carbon is used with metal to provide the strength needed to maintain camber profile and provide durability. Board with tip to tail rail to rail and no metal are a bouncey junk show needing lots of rubber to calm them down, boards with Carbon and metal are what most riders are out enjoying.

Advantages / effect:

- Weight to strength ratio / stronger, lighter board; stiffer board; snappier, poppier board

- Greater difference of natural frequency resonance to wood core then glass fibre / damper board. (Damper as in vibration absorption, not damper ride)

Dissadvantages:

- Price

- Less resistant to impact then glass

It is quite hard to use carbon (just like anything) just as "bling". If it's in, it would do something to the board. Higher the properties of the material, more effect to the final product.

No, not as smooth as metal and poppier then glass.

I'm sure Bruce and Sean would give you much better explanation and correct me where wrong...

Sorry but my my experiance since I have ridden and owned many boards. Carbon is not just bling. Used correctly it cuts through ice just as smooth as titanal and. Provides great pop feedback. After riding a full carbon oxess carbonated for last season it was every bit as smooth and in ice it was every bit as good. Im glad I got one because it really is a niuce ride without that typical high glass sound or feel. Don't knock the carbon. Cheers

lets not forget it's usually laminated in with kevlar, and if you're contagious, zylon.

incidentally i wonder if Frank has tried graphene paper yet.

Would make a nice top sheet but not sure about any beneficial properties it would provide.... Oh hang on you said graphene paper...

post-7081-14184234472_thumb.jpg

Would make a nice top sheet but not sure about any beneficial properties it would provide.... Oh hang on you said graphene paper...

***edit to add: Sorry, OP said layman's terms. When used right, the board don't twist and release the edge during a hard carve or over rough snow***

Carbon is only bling when it is used as trim or in minimal amounts, then a marketing tool at best.

When used for longitudinal flex control, it does require extra dampening to keep from generating a sine wave form(bounce or chatter).

When applied correctly, carbon fiber monocoque provides tremendous torsional rigidity and a minimum of the bounce effect that incorrect layup gives. We are talking loaded edge deflection measured in millimeters, not inches like every other construction material and that is on a wide BX/freeride profile, not a race profile, which would be even less. I assisted in the development of the first all carbon cap construction boards that utilized the carbon twill in that fashion. These boards rip the living xhit out of the snow in a way that exceeds the best construction of any other material. To achieve the same torsional effect with glass, it would take such thick mat, that the board would be prohibitively heavy and the flex would be dead. It isn't any where near as damp as metal, rather, lively and responsive, better described as SNAPPY.

I must ride a modern metal/carbon board and see how a decade of development compares to my trusty old sticks. I have yet to ride anything, carving board, race board, whatever, that doesn't twist like a noodle compared to my Carbon Dual-e. Donek is making a board that may have the benefits I speak of, I can't wait to try it!

Don't see too many rockets or performance sailing (board or boat) masts made of anything else. Propellor and rotor blades, aircraft wings etc all take advantage of the light weight, torsional rigidity of carbon that no other material can match.

It ain't bling when its engineered by someone who understands its properties and how to apply them.:AR15firin

Carbon is only bling when it is used as trim or in minimal amounts, then a marketing tool at best.

It ain't bling when its engineered by someone who understands its properties and how to apply them.:AR15firin

Not sure why you quoted me here... Re-read my post it is a play on words between graphene paper and graphing paper. I understand the benefits of carbon.

Cheers,

Dave

Not sure why you quoted me here... Re-read my post it is a play on words between graphene paper and graphing paper. I understand the benefits of carbon.

Cheers,

Dave

No worries, I hit have a habit of hitting the quote button instead of Reply!

If you cant tell, I have a thing for graphite.

That was some of the finest paper I had seen and must have been additionally confused...:D

Since moving to Switzerland six years ago I've seen these cult boards around: all of them are made of carbon fiber. Got my eye on a Virus Lightning Team Edition, but I have to try Radical's freecarver first. Anyone ridden one?
i looked at their website a while ago. nice tech, but you'd need to go custom to get a usable hardboot board imo. 9m seems a very tight radius for a 170cm board.

I understand titanal, or titanium, or whatever the nomenclature is: great damping and good ice grip: got me one of them boards and it works goodly.

Can anyone out there explain explain the advantages/disadvantages of carbon fiber boards in layman's terms? Is this a replacement for or an addition to titanium?

Layman's terms...

It's better.

It should probably be pointed out that titanal is nothing much to do with titanium. It's an aluminium alloy that (like many others) has a miniscule amount of titanium in it.

As for carbon - it's stiffer, lighter and generally better than glass.

It should probably be pointed out that titanal is nothing much to do with titanium. It's an aluminium alloy that (like many others) has a miniscule amount of titanium in it.
where minuscule is a quantity of zero:

• 88.5% aluminium
  • 1.7% copper
  • 7.0% zinc
  • 0.1% zirconium
  • 2.5% magnesium

Ah, I thought there was a tiny amount. Guess I misread.
marketing licence i guess. amusingly though, most plebs completely bypass the idea that there may be titanium in it, and instead descend into beavis&butthead snickering about the word's composition.

where minuscule is a quantity of zero:

Since you are adamant about this, I have one question...

If I add these numbers together

• 88.5% aluminium
  • 1.7% copper
  • 7.0% zinc
  • 0.1% zirconium
  • 2.5% magnesium

unless I'm doing some special math, I get 99.8% (even though you do not state it, I anticipate these numbers are in weight percent).

What's the other 0.2 wt%? :)

Since you are adamant about this, I have one question...

If I add these numbers together

unless I'm doing some special math, I get 99.8% (even though you do not state it, I anticipate these numbers are in weight percent).

What's the other 0.2 wt%? :)

you may well be right. i cribbed it from hardbooter.com, which mentioned nothing about titanium being an alloying component. none of the other literature available (that i've found) does.