Note to New Members ×

Shoot someone thru telephone?

bjvircks

Have you ever wished you could shoot someone over the telephone?

This happened to me today on a teleconference with people from different parts of the country. I made the point that even if something should be discovered during a minor test that we must continue forward at full speed without stopping and resolve the issue on the side as we move forward. Everyone agreed. Then, several minutes later, one of the people I answer to joined up on the telecon. Someone else on the phone tried to bring the late leader up to speed and said (my paraphrasing) '.... and like Brad said, if we see anything in the test today we should pause and think about it in order to...'

After he stopped blabbering to catch his breath I jumped in and almost yelled 'wait a minute... that is NOT what I said....' and I went on to reiterate what everyone had agreed to. He then tried to explain how what he had just said did not misrepresent my instructions to the team. Hmmmmmm. find minor thing = pause & think vs. find minor thing = continue at full speed

Because of the way the guy continued to say he wasn't wrong... if he had been at my facility I would have tracked him down and bludgened him severly. OK, maybe not... but I sure felt like I might.

OK, rant is over. taking deep breaths. thinking happy thoughts. SES...

Have you ever wished you could shoot someone over the telephone?

This happened to me today on a teleconference with people from different parts of the country. I made the point that even if something should be discovered during a minor test that we must continue forward at full speed without stopping and resolve the issue on the side as we move forward. Everyone agreed. Then, several minutes later, one of the people I answer to joined up on the telecon. Someone else on the phone tried to bring the late leader up to speed and said (my paraphrasing) '.... and like Brad said, if we see anything in the test today we should pause and think about it in order to...'

After he stopped blabbering to catch his breath I jumped in and almost yelled 'wait a minute... that is NOT what I said....' and I went on to reiterate what everyone had agreed to. He then tried to explain how what he had just said did not misrepresent my instructions to the team. Hmmmmmm. find minor thing = pause & think vs. find minor thing = continue at full speed

Because of the way the guy continued to say he wasn't wrong... if he had been at my facility I would have tracked him down and bludgened him severly. OK, maybe not... but I sure felt like I might.

OK, rant is over. taking deep breaths. thinking happy thoughts. SES...

could be worse. my plant is closing soon. i'm getting laid off in june. at some point i have to transfer all my projects to someone else. not looking forward to that day.

what i hate right now is seeing all the memos of about how the plant closure is going oh so swell. kinda wish they would send those memos after the closure. don't need to read about it.

@bjviricks... bet you've seen some people Eagan, MN. i know a at least two engineers moving to Cedar Rapids... they keep telling me 'Uncle Rocky is calling'.

hoping i can find a job. would love to make it back to SES. in the meantime... this sucks. :mad:

anyone looking for a cable/harness engineer? anyone? going once... twice... three times???

time to change careers. :confused:

We're working really hard on the "b!tchslap over internet protocol" at our office. No luck yet though. :(

Just think, if you could perfect that as an app, you'd be richer than Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates combined.

bstp:// bitchslap transfer protocol?

decades ago some friends and I did a short super 8 film in which a telephone conversation went bad. The first guy pushed a few buttons on his telephone and the handset on the other end blew up the other guy's head. Very crude production but it got some laughs.

Oh I'm hearing you. Working in Asia now, which is a very different environment - it's all about saving face, so what you can get away with chastising or criticising someone for in the US, UK or Australia will basically get you kicked off a project here.

So I'm working on a project with a couple of quite junior, inexperienced investment bankers - who nevertheless have overly inflated opinions of their own capabilities - as part of the client's advisory team. One of these guys has held up a circa $500 million corporate listing because he's not happy with my writing style (and English is my first language, but not his!) and for tiny things like changing the word "manager" to "managers". Don't get me started on some of the other things he's been insisting on. He's probably delayed the deal by a month so far, so who knows how much money that's cost everyone.

Now I'm not a violent person, but I am having visions of digging his heart out with a blunt soup spoon.....:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin