Note to New Members ×

My daughter trying out a quarter midget!

fishrising

They had a "club promotional day" in order to spark interest in racing for the kids. So, kids who never tried it could give it a whirl (my daughter Veronica being one). She crashed at the end of the first lap, was too scared to go again today, but she wants to go again "after today," as she put it. I give her props for trying though! And she says she really liked it.

Those Dale Earnhart collars have made it all the way to the pee-wee leagues? Is there any research at all showing that they work?

I haven't come across any, but I can tell you from experience they do make a difference in most cases. The HANS device is much more effective, but needs a shoulder harness to work.

Personal experience is anecdotal......I'm talking about research similar to helmet research....

She's wearing a collar.....what is the purpose of it? I can tell you from over a decade of ED experience, soft collars don't do anything except give you a false sense of security

Those Dale Earnhart collars have made it all the way to the pee-wee leagues? Is there any research at all showing that they work?

They do wonders for keeping your head and helmet steady so you can continue to see and react to approaching hazards when you take your motorcycle into the ditch at 80mph+.:barf:

Personal experience is anecdotal......I'm talking about research similar to helmet research....

She's wearing a collar.....what is the purpose of it? I can tell you from over a decade of ED experience, soft collars don't do anything except give you a false sense of security

I can tell you from personal experience that wearing one was beneficial to me when I wrecked.

Is there a downside to wearing one?

They cut down on wind noise when on a bike or in an open cockpit car too which helps with maintaining concentration and hearing noises that might otherwise be obscured.

I had the opportunity of discussing soft collars with some of the docs. at Kessler rehab when my brother was in. In their opinion you have everything to gain and nothing to loose by wearing one. I'm glad they didn't take your view. I might not have bothered picking one up.

You can tell all you want. Have you ever gone into the ditch at 80 with one on? Try it and get back to us.

If you happen to hit something head on, the collar can keep the helmet from breaking your collar bone when your head snaps forward and down. Definitly helps keep your head up while cornering too. A HANS or Hutchens will be a lot better for rapid decel trama.