Note to New Members ×

Longer board, same sidecut?

serge

G'Day,

I have been riding a Coiler VSR 169 w/med sidecut (~13m) this season, and love the board. Great on steeps, but seems to slow down on easier runs after a few turns. To fix this, I'll do my transition between the fall line and across the sloped, but need to be more conscious about it since I have made the habit of always finishing my turns perpendicular to the fall line

I was wondering if any of you have tried boards of the same sidecut, but different length and noticed any differences? assuming that the boards were made for the same weight...

From what I have read, the extra length would give the board more speed and stability. Is my understanding correct?

From what I have read, the extra length would give the board more speed and stability. Is my understanding correct?

Not really. A longer board with the same sidecut will have a deeper sidecut depth, which is bad for stability, initiation, and also for skidding/freeriding. Assuming similar flex, the board will still want to make similar sized carves at similar speeds, so there's not much point. If you want to go faster with more stability, get a longer board with longer sidecut.

G'Day,

I have been riding a Coiler VSR 169 w/med sidecut (~13m) this season, and love the board. Great on steeps, but seems to slow down on easier runs after a few turns. To fix this, I'll do my transition between the fall line and across the sloped, but need to be more conscious about it since I have made the habit of always finishing my turns perpendicular to the fall line

I was wondering if any of you have tried boards of the same sidecut, but different length and noticed any differences? assuming that the boards were made for the same weight...

This was an early question of mine as well. One year, I had Sean at Donek build me two boards, a 185 and a 195 where everything was "the same" except the length. Same sidecut, same waist width, same stiffness, same same same.

At the end of the day, it turns out that Jack is pretty much spot on (as he is 96.8254% of the time). The 195 is actually a tighter turning board (which takes people by surprise when riding with me). the 195 made a better weekend board then the 185! I think it has to do with the sidecut depth being deeper then on the 185. The nose is easier to engage on the 195.

Move up some in length, but also in sidecut.

just my 2 cents

The 195 is actually a tighter turning board (which takes people by surprise when riding with me). the 195 made a better weekend board then the 185! I think it has to do with the sidecut depth being deeper then on the 185.

I think this also has to do with the fact that a longer same-sidecut board will "pinch" more - the nose and tail bend in more due to the difference in length of the actual board vs. the projection of the board tilted up at an angle.

Have bruce build you a 13 in the nose and open it up to an 18-19. I think you will find that the board hooks up great, and then allows you to not complete the turn unless you want to.

I found this to be the case when I went to riding Kesslers after riding many boards in the 15m sidecut class. Have fun, it definitley bumps up the thrill factor.

One thing that you might notice, if all other factors are the same, is that the longer board has more edge hold.

I question this. If you have the same pressure (rider) on a larger surface area, wouldn't you have less pressure per square (insert metric/imperial unit)? I would agree that you have more surface area on the snow, but if you have less pressure per square unit, I would think you would have less edge hold and more tendency to slip the edge.

No?

Comparing all the variables is interesting as well as confusing since you have to be sure which variables apply. Longer board may have different flex than shorter board of similar dimensions, just look at how VSR affects turning radius and then translate that to how the leading edge of a longer board is actually effecting the turn, now decamber the nose and you have a new variable. Different bindings will effect the board depending on the footprint of the binding. One thing that I have noticed is that putting a plate on a board actually allows a better comparison of its characteristics since the riders input limit some of the variables and allows more immediate feel for what the board is trying to do independant of the rider.:argue:

Thanks for your insights and replies...

I guess it just a matter of adapting my riding to the VSR as well as being conscious of the snow condition. I went our riding yesterday morning. Snow was hard and fast at -18 degrees C. Did not have any issues with losing speed.. I was also switching edge before coming across the fall line.

Maybe I have the wrong impression, but a ~180 cm board with the appropriate sidecut i.e. BIG would not be fun on small hills (which most are within half hour driving). I do go to bigger mountains a few times a year but not enough for me to warrant a longer board with bigger sidecut. I guess I need to test more boards to find out if bigger sidecut would suit me...

There is a particular hill that I like in Quebec, and it is Mont-Blanc on the North side.

My friend shot a short clip of myself carving down one of the trails. Hope it is ok to post a video in this forum :)

As you can see I mostly carve across the fall line to manage the speed.

Cheers