Note to New Members ×

Best New England Carving Mountains

modifiede30

Its gotta be Thunderdome!

there can be only one!!

Carrving out east?hahaha. Look at the runs sugerloaf sucks. Go west save ur money. Sugerlaugh is the worst followed by statton unless u want to plow into new yooorkers. Less money more groom out west. Now Wachusettes is a mecca try that! Next to Nashoba. Wicked caaaavin.

Man you guys are relentless online. Its really cute in a way; last time I met you in person your were quite nice in person. Later old short guy, have a great weekend.

TT has a way with words, don't let it get to you. I can be brutal too.

The rest of my reviews.

What is great about New England..

If you hit it after a holiday weekend when crowds produce new England chalk you can have some of the best carving ever. And you get this several times a year... in 3 years living in Aspen I only got chalk for about 6 days total.

Stowe is great (Gondolier lots of vertical footage...plenty of width and speed) also best local restaurants- and UVM cute girls... lol , but Killington is only good if you hit it for first tracks begin at the summit- head to bear mountain- then hit sky chair and head to canyons and end on bunny buster (only on Sundays does this work when people are hung over from the bars and not out for first tracks- again ride with Vin Q of out of bounds he knows this place better than ANYONE else...and is connected with grooming and so forth) .... The Brits who come on holiday to capitalize on their accents at the bars are pitiful unskilled skiers... they scrape Killington bare by 10:30. I lived there for 2 seasons, the only good thing is it is close in terms of driving time for all New Englanders and has a long season. IMHO Expensive and not worth it ...carving in VT really is Gondolier.. forget Mt. Snow (only 500 vert feet at the top is good) Sugarbush is mostly double fall line (except this year... it might have filled in) Stratton (Flatton- the hill for terminal intermediates and for experts who don't feel like driving further) is not interesting terrain wise and quite boring... Jay Peak is wind stripped with narrow trails,

Pico is ok for carving.. and not busy...not as much fun as the Canyons at Killington but typically uncrowded.

NH typically has better terrain...wider trails and isn't as cold except for Cannon which tends to be cold and windy.

Sunday River promises lots of vertical but doesn't deliver unless you can ski through its parking lots... most trails are under 1600 vertical feet.

Statton typically is a fools journey , expensive lift tickets, horrible horrible (amongst the worst) expensive food, long lift lines, windy, cold, and often the top of the Mountain is in the clouds leaving to carve the 600 vertical feet of the lower mountains 6 pack, Sunbowl is flat, North American has a double fall line, Upper Standard typically is ruined with a DUMB DUMB DUMB mogul field making it too narrow, Liftline has decent continuous pitch but is punctuated with lift towers. My big draw to Statton is to ride with Shaggy....if not for him and Cheri, and The Starting gate, I wouldn't bother going...however... Shaggy , Cheri, and The Starting Gate (with excellent selection, good boot fitting, and good tuning....is a BIG reason to go there). IMHO there is no challenging terrain of any kind at Stratton which was really funny since back int he Early 1980's they would "Certify you for upper mountain for snowboarding - just a way to charge you an extra $20) Frankly- they are money hungry bastards. The ski and snowboard school (SMS) is good though.

Sugarloaf - Tote rod is good for teaching carving..a great trail for the inexperienced... especially if it is sunny... Also the place to go late season when everything after April 15 is melted out. Bucksaw is fun too.. personally I never found the terrain to be that stimulating but I have skied it fewer than 30 times. Some of the steeper trails would have ben nice but were super super icy... but then again I have not been there Since 1993 so this is very dated info not to be taken seriously compared to Jack M. I'd like to revisit Sugarloaf with Jack M and EB and it is the first NE MT. on my list for a revisit.

Burke Mt. can be fun... but also can get icy. Carriage run is fun for intermediate snowboarders..

Jay Peak is almost always windy but great early and late season..a NO GO for Jan and Feb due to extreme cold. Few carving runs except under the Jet triple chair.

Okemo has tons of double fall lines and very very very poor slope traffic organization ...one of my least favorite New England Mountains ... but Sapphire is a fun run (dangerous)- though late season many "blind whale jumps abound"... still cool and World cup is ok.

Bromley is flat. Crowded with kids and families.. but warm and sunny.

Magic Mountain... if they groom it... was really fun..and you can be in the sun without wind (peak elevation 2833..while Stratton is 3901) and carve 1700 vertical feet for $39 while people at Stratton pay $84 to stand in line, freeze,pay for expensive food and crowd under the six pack lift while waiting for clouds at the higher elevation to clear and only ski what feels like 600-700 vertical feet.

Bolton Valley- I went there and was shocked at how everything was run on 2009 .. pretty sad. They need to hire away another mountain manager from a better resort. You are far better off at Wachusett. Food is bowling alley from 1970's, grooming is 1960's chairlifts are 1960's, the girls.... OMG terrible.

New Hampshire

Wildcat.. bring your skis

Cranmore.. sketchy... without a doubt the most treacherous night grooming conditions I have ever experienced... frozen cat tracks. it might be fun during the day.. tiny.

Gunstock... not bad...inexpensive... ok lodge, noon grooming.. and some good rails...gunsmoke is ok... so is Tiger... A good easy drive. The girls are ...well...... not good looking. Lots of people skiing on crap. But the terrain more than makes up for it. Easy parking too. One of the better ones that isn't a far drive.

Bretton Woods... one of the best places you could learn carving..perfect grooming combined with regular late afternoon snowfall makes it tops. ZERO steeps however... not for experts at all or you would die of boredom.

Realistically I think SES 2012 should be at Attitash...enough of Stratton... Once you trash Lift line, Upper Standard and North american and Suntanner... where do you ride? CMC and I destroyed a the 6 pack trail in about 10 run each...when we were so annoyed that they skipped grooming it..we trenched it too deep for teaching skiing and forced them to midday re-groom (yay)...there was limited terrain that day.

Even Cannon might be fun..and certainly has good pitches. Also cannon has a cool cabin room that is private that we used to use for Demos with Blizzard that could be a private ECES room.

Yes..I know there is a lot of dissing of resorts here. (some of it needs to be pointed out though).. but I am just calling it like I remember from 4 years ago. I was in Bolton Valley 2 years ago.

Sugarloaf - Tote Road is good for teaching carving..a great trail for the inexperienced... especially if it is sunny... Also the place to go late season when everything after April 15 is melted out. Bucksaw is fun too.. personally I never found the terrain to be that stimulating but I have skied it fewer than 30 times. Some of the steeper trails would have ben nice but were super super icy... but then again I have not been there Since 1993 so this is very dated info not to be taken seriously compared to Jack M. I'd like to revisit Sugarloaf with Jack M and EB and it is the first NE MT. on my list for a revisit.

Come on up. Tote Road and the Bucksaw chair area are good for intermediates, but the real fun is the steeper stuff off the Spillway chair, Superquad, and King Pine chair. And especially this year there is no ice to speak of.

Bretton Woods... one of the best places you could learn carving..perfect grooming combined with regular late afternoon snowfall makes it tops. ZERO steeps however... not for experts at all or you would die of boredom.

I second that. Especially 'Range View' trail, it's a Wide and Green slope from top to bottom. Left part of the trail has few rollers from upper to middle. Boring but you can see your trench till next day (since BW never get crowded, especially the trail). Now I see they expanded 40+ trails so they may have other options. Great family resort. Not a expert resort at all thou.