Note to New Members ×

soft boots: need advice asap / anyone else have this problem?

FTA2R

I have had my softboots (ThirtyTwo Lashed) for several seasons now. They are a snugger "performance" fit.

This past weekend (first time out this season), I experienced a problem that has happened a number of times before. Previously, I just sucked it up and dealt with it. I can no longer do that, however.

The top of the inner part of the boot (the modable part) is literally digging into the middle of my calves. It is worse on my R leg (I am goofy), but their are very visible red rings around my calves. This has occurred a number of times before, and the rings usually take several weeks (sometimes months) to completely dissapear. I am at a point now where after 2 hours, it is simply to painful to ride.

Last year, in Vail, I had to rent boots, b/c it was ruining my trip.

Historically, I've tied boots quite tight, though not so much anymore. I was able to stuff the fleece pants layer in there (b/w my sock and the inner boot), but that isn't a real solution.

Has anyone else had this problem with pain and/or red rings around your calves?

I've emailed 32, just to see what their repsonse is.

The only thing that I can really think of is that after a while, the tops of the inner boots simply start pointing slightly downward, resulting in them "digging" into your calves (which starts to hurt after a while).

Also, can you please give me recommedations for new softboots! specific brands and/or models. I really want to ride softies this weekend, so i need to get something soon. I ride a little bit of everything, primarily just freeriding. I don't go nearly as much as I used to, however.

thanks!

You might want to do some searching on this forum because there are a bunch of posts, I didn't bookmark them or I would post them. I needed new boots so I was looking around much like you are now.

Burton Driver X

Salomon Malamute

32 Forecast (Discontinued)

Those were the most common models people were using.

I got some used Burton Driver X and I love them. Very comfy and warm and seem stiff enough but I don't have the calf problem like you, never have. The ones I got had plastic tongue stiffeners but I don't think they use those anymore.

hello,

to answer your questions.

no, my calves are very small (sucks, but oh well).

the bindings are very old Rossi's HCs (either 2000 or 4000). I have new bindings, but not using them (for a few reasons). i think i have the foward lean as far back as possible (so there is no fwd lean). i have the Paulmer riser plates (probably considered "old school" now.

Most of the Instructors in our locker room have now shied away from 32's, great boots ...for a short while.

I ride around 130 days a season in softs and as my background was hard booting, I carve a lot and prefer a stiffer boot.

Any recommendations are subject to your foot being the same shape as the manufacturers foot last, they are all slightly different shapes for the same given size ie if you fit a Burton you probably won't fit a Rome and Salomon is somewhere in between.

As well as the Malamute and the Driver X, have a look at the Rome Folsom, an excellent freeride boot and built to last 100 days plus. I've even sold on previous pairs and the buyers have got another half season out of them.

Hope this helps!

Martin

could be the highback digging in, what binding you using? you'll get that on powder days quite often.

a thin boot combines with overzealous forward lean has bitten me more than once.

What Bob said.

Strap in. If the top of your highback lines up with the spot on your calf, it's the highback. Your boot has been crushed repeatedly in this spot and has just packed out. It doesn't matter if you've relaxed the forward lean... It will still hurt.

I have solved this problem in the past by putting a slice of high-density foam (not too thick) inside the shell, on top of the liner.

If the rest of your boot is still working fine, try this. If they're blown all the way around, replace them. I won't say what with, because I don't know what fits you.

What Bob said.

Strap in. If the top of your highback lines up with the spot on your calf, it's the highback. Your boot has been crushed repeatedly in this spot and has just packed out. It doesn't matter if you've relaxed the forward lean... It will still hurt.

I have solved this problem in the past by putting a slice of high-density foam (not too thick) inside the shell, on top of the liner.

If the rest of your boot is still working fine, try this. If they're blown all the way around, replace them. I won't say what with, because I don't know what fits you.

know of anything wider than the burton drivers and the malamutes thats at least in a similar range for support?

my hobbit feet hurt, need something new.

Here's a little trick I used to do, I will go and find a pair of flip-flops, they come in all different densities, the material is very easy to cut. You take the EVA foam and you can shape it anyway you want using a long serrated carving knife. Take that and then ducttape it to whatever you need to fix.

That's what I call "rapid prototyping". Shift the tape and reshape until it is right.

Once you have it right shoe goo it to make it permanent

Hope this works out for you.

+1 on the K2 T1's.

I have an E-EE width foot with high arches and they fit well. Don't go with the double BOA if you have high arches it tightens too much in the wrong places and there is no way to loosen it in only one spot (that I could find anyway) I have the single BOA on the inner liner and it works really well. They come with tongue stiffeners, but i haven't needed them because I am a light weight.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

sorry, was away from the site for a few days.

I ended up actually replacing the 32 boot liners with my hardboot liners, hahah....they're pretty low end liners, but it worked, though conditions completely sucked, so i didn't have many runs at all.

before i ended up going with that, however, i experimented a little with the those blue foam pads (like Shintronics, but not as cumbersome) that I always use when riding plates, simply b/c, as i mentioned earlier, i have skinny legs, and these pads go right on your shin and make for a snugger fit. they fit the coutour of your leg; if you have shin bang, they'd probably help.

anyway, i tried putting these on the BACKS of my legs (where my calves were bothering me) to cushion the area b/w my calves and the back of the boot. it sounds similar to what RobStevens recommended: "I have solved this problem in the past by putting a slice of high-density foam (not too thick) inside the shell, on top of the liner."

JG, you're recommendation was interesting for sure. I actually don't own any flip flops, but I'll let you know if I decide to do this.

it proabably really is just time to get something new.

OHHH, by the way, 32 DID email me back, in a timely manner. I explained to them exactly what was happening, and even sent him a picture of the damage. His response was basically: "our new boots are much better; buy them." I even offered to purchase 2 new liners, but he said that that wasn't possible.

OHHH, by the way, 32 DID email me back, in a timely manner. I explained to them exactly what was happening, and even sent him a picture of the damage. His response was basically: "our new boots are much better; buy them." I even offered to purchase 2 new liners, but he said that that wasn't possible.

Then you are, by far, the expection. If you google it, you'll find that's the biggest complaint against 32. In fact, I managed to get a phone number from their parent company, and had myself transfered to them. The person who picked up the phone was very annoyed for needing to talk to a customer, and when I asked my simple question, she said there was no one there to answer it. When I asked why my email hadn't been responded to, she said there was no one there to answer it. When I asked why no one was there, she said everyone was on the road at shows, because it was in season. I asked her shouldn't there be someone there to answer questions if it's in season, and she said no.