Note to New Members ×

How often do you fall?

michael.a

Going down an average length run on an average day, how many times do you fall?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Going down an average length run on an average day, how many times do you fall?

• Never!
    • 1-3
    • 4+ times
    • Every 2nd turn

Caught my toeside edge last night in a crevasse sized rut. Sent me over the handlebars and I cartwheeled twice on the steeps. I think that I have strained my peroneus longus (muscle on outside of lower leg, front foot). Have an orthopedic consult this afternoon. I have a week long-trip to start in 8 days.

Worst boarding accident I have had in 17 years. I blame this thread for my misfortune. This is America, I have to blame someone, I can't take responsibilities for my actions ;).

Got back from the orthopedic surgeon. X-rays reveal a fractured fibia. As it turns out I may have had a stress fracture that let go during my deep toeside carve, causing me to lose control. That is why it seemed like I was catapulted like hitting a rut.

As it turns out, I will be off the board for 8-12 weeks which pretty much means my season is over.

Now I am really mad that this thread jinxed me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some sad news John, right in the middle of a good season, and nixing a trip:mad:

Hope you heal up quickly.

I get a minor stress fracture on my rear fib at the top of the boot cuff some times but have never had it let go like that. It does keep me from riding switch when it's aggravated and a softer flexing boot/liner is necessary.

anyway, at least you can blame something besides the boot heel ripping loose;)

That's some sad news John, right in the middle of a good season, and nixing a trip:mad:

Hope you heal up quickly.

I get a minor stress fracture on my rear fib at the top of the boot cuff some times but have never had it let go like that. It does keep me from riding switch when it's aggravated and a softer flexing boot/liner is necessary.

anyway, at least you can blame something besides the boot heal ripping loose;)

Thanks Troy. Maybe I am going to take it easy and start acting my age. Or I could start chomping on extra calcium based anti-acids. I chose #2.

I did have the boots clamped down racer tight for carving on the ice and I was on my stiffest board. I created the perfect storm for stressing my leg.

Thanks in part to you advice, I did move into Intecs this year to prevent the cracking. If I had a choice, I would rather have another set of cracked heels, rather than a cracked Fibia. I do have an old set of backup boots, I don't have spare legs.

I hope to get out to Schweitzer next year to show you how nicely I healed.

About half of my runs contain a mistake that leaves me sliding on my butt or my hands. Maybe more than half.

About half of my days on snow contain a crash that leaves me sore for a day or two. But that happened at least once a day until I was in my late 20s.

I used to think that a stiff neck and back was just an inherent aspect of snowboarding. It took me a long time to realize that only comes from falling hard. :smashfrea

The nice thing about getting lower and lower in turns is I don't fall from the same height as I used to in my static standing and scraping days. I still fall every day (except for indoor days mabye) but never in a painful way.

I once had a head on collision with another goofy footed carver taking over and making the same hard toeside turn I was making regular footed. That's really scary...you see it coming but you can't get out of the way anymore...

I once had a head on collision with another goofy footed carver taking over and making the same hard toeside turn I was making regular footed. That's really scary...you see it coming but you can't get out of the way anymore...

Me too except I was the goofy, and it's really scary.:eek: Blood on the snow can ruin your day.

That got me to wear a helmet every day and now I try to tell everyone I ride with that we have a 3 turn rule. Give me 3 turns before following me because I tend to carve back uphill:confused::eek: and/or spin:smashfrea checking all my speed more than the most carvers. This makes a 3 turn spacing become 1 turn in a couple of seconds.

I fall fairly regularly. I push myself pretty hard most days. If I'm not falling it doesn't mean that I'm not pushing it, it just means that I'm dialed in for that day.

Over the years I have become an exceptional "faller". I never get hurt when I fall, I've just figured out how to "roll with the punches". There is definitely a skill, probably more mental than anything, that I have found to placing myself into a situation where I know that I may fail but I also know that I will not go down in flames.

Years ago, my friend Lucas and I used to see if we could clink our edges together midway through our heelside turns. He's goofy, I'm regular. We would come at each other pretty fast sometimes. Some of the impacts left us ricocheting off of each others bases. Every now and then we would have a perfect cheers of our toeside edges while in a heelside turn while way up on egde. We had boards of the same width. Some of the crashes were pretty spectacular.

After an AMAZING day yesterday, I may need to change my vote! Earlier this week, I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't fall on my first run of the day. Later in the week, I was more surprised when I didn't fall during my frist two runs of the day.

I made it nearly 4 hours on Saturday in supreme snow conditions, before finally going down. In fact, over the course of the day, I only went down about 4-5 times. All gentle. Nothing hurt. My best day, ever! :biggthump