Note to New Members ×

Craig Kelly Mystery Air (yellow,orange,black)

Belmont85

That's no mystery it says craig kelly right on it. The mystery ere the black with the yellow b. And said mystery air on the tail. I had one. The story is craig was still under contract somewheree else so they couldn't put his name on it.

Man that brings back some memories. I think it would be worth more than 100 bucks to a collector, it looks to be in pretty nice shape and has the original bindings and everything. Maybe do some research on ebay, I bet it would go for a couple hundred bucks at least, maybe more.

I found two of them. One was going for 600 and the other was 500. Is this a rare board?

"Going for" and sold are two different things...... People think there is more money in these things than there is.

Rare? Don't know, The red, yellow and white ones where more rare back in the day. There may not be that many left, so who knows. I know mine is LONG gone...... Same with my black Mystery Air.

The original bindings of that year ('89-'90 season) were white highbacks. It appears these are the next year's bindings, when the board was purple and black.

This board was the one of the first that started getting a "twin tip" like shape (not THE first).

Yes, these models said Mystery on them, but the black one (which Craig rides in the early "Snow Rules" video was still acquired by a small amount of early adopters as I recall.

Yes, the value is simply what somebody is willing to pay. I went looking for my original Burton Safari that I used to race on and found one for $350! I was patient and within a few months, bought one for $50 (and the seller had gotten it for $25 but wasn't doing anything with it and I had no trouble paying him an extra $25).

As you can see from my avatar, this was the board I had before I started riding for Morrow and sold all my Burton stuff (hasty move). I'd rather purchase one with the original bindings, and I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but let me know if you can't get rid of it.

Brian

Brian

The bindings (in Grey) are correct for the year on the Burton Craig Kelly Mystery Air. I have three of them and they all have they grey bindings- Bryan will likely agree. Catalogues sometimes show something different (as it was introduced or preproduction) but it isn't unusal for the grey bindings to be present on that model. Also, many broken baseplates from the original bindings (either white high-backs or grey high-backs) necessitated replacements. True, they looked better on the following years model, but that's my 2 cents. It's rare to find one in good shape and it'll bring whatever people want to pay for it, probably $100 to $200. They are still fun to ride, so put some wax on it and try it out- that's what it was meant to do.

Hmm... maybe it was a location thing, because every CK board owner I knew in the Mid Atlantic at the time had the white high backs, which had orange/red writing, orange/red buckles, and matched the board just right.

Here's a pic with me and mine. The guy next to me has one of the following years with the three strap.

Brian

post-10244-141842333397_thumb.jpg

Wow, this brings back some memories! This was one of my first snowboards- I had the small one, I believe a 145. My older brother also got the exact same one, except his was a 16x. Both of our boards came with the grey bindings, purchased new from The Beach Zone in Albuquerque, NM.

In terms of how much it's worth... exactly what everyone said before- what someone will pay you for it. I gave mine, along with an old Sims ATV, to Good Will many years back. I think somewhere between $200-100 would be fair.

Armtron2000- I haven't ridden one of these since the early 90s, but it was a blast back then so I don't know why it would be any different now! I bet I could still ride better than most folks I see in Tahoe with this thing...

Hmm... maybe it was a location thing, because every CK board owner I knew in the Mid Atlantic at the time had the white high backs, which had orange/red writing, orange/red buckles, and matched the board just right.

Here's a pic with me and mine. The guy next to me has one of the following years with the three strap.

Brian

Thanks for the pic. I had both of those boards. My favorite board from that period is the Shawn Palmer with Cadillac graphics. Still have that one.