Note to New Members ×

Alpine snowboarding is dead part deux

Willow 15

I have just watched the finals of the World champ PSL race and it made me think about many questions.

There were not that many plate systems, and the ones that were there were old systems such as Vist.

Most of the boards were Keslers, with the odd Apex and of course SG.

There was a lot of tech, board wise.

I watch a lot of ski racing and today's Kitzbuhel DH was amazing but I did not see one DH'er in 10 year old boots.

At the snowboard world champs I have seen boot's that should be in the bin win two world championships, PGS & PSL. Its not a fluke, Shoch was second wearing the same antiques on his feet.

We spend so much time loving new boards, maybe we should be thinking about the contact points. I.E. BOOTS.

I think forums like this could get those moulds made again.

I have loads more to talk about such as slalom poles, super g, timing and parallel or clock but I can't be arsed at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I bow down to companies that produce hard boots.

mmmm if it ain' broke don't fix it.

1226386823050865034eFCRcy

Has anyone delved into making their own boots; eg fiberglass or carbon construction? I hear enough bitching about boots, I just wondered if anyone has tried to do something about it (obviously making a metal mold to pour plastic in is going to be cost problematic, but ....). Not sure how a joined shell would hold up in a binding either...

Has anyone delved into making their own boots; eg fiberglass or carbon construction? I hear enough bitching about boots, I just wondered if anyone has tried to do something about it (obviously making a metal mold to pour plastic in is going to be cost problematic, but ....). Not sure how a joined shell would hold up in a binding either...

Mr. Tinkler made CF Burton Fire cuffs for a racer a while ago.

imagine trying to stretch a fibreglass boot?

imagine what a failure does to your feet?

this comes up year after year, no new boots. yup it sucks.

plastic is the only viable option, face it. so we need molds OR if 3d printing gets way better in terms of the material they can use and actually being able to print something that's going to be suitable.

I think it would be more plausible for a boot mold to be 3D printed, but an actual functioning boot, I doubt it.

It seems Deeluxe, Head, UPZ have freecarvers covered fairly well, and I could imagine racing in my Deeluxes, but I don't know why racers hang on to their Northwaves...?

Been there done that! In 1969 i made fiberglass ski boots split shells with foam injected liners. The foam got so warm as it cured i almost lost a layer of skin from both feet. Used them for about 3 years before giving into the new plastic boots. To this day i'm thankful the German Marker binding that i used saved me from any injury. That was on 215 cm Kneissel Super Star skis. No chance of ever putting those boots on again. You should put thoughts of hard boots like these out of your though process. That ship has sailed and the voyage was rough !

I don't know why racers hang on to their Northwaves...?

because they are magic!

if I recall correctly I remember hearing they were stiff as hell but still had a very active flex some areas and something about the way(the location of where the cuff attaches?) they pivot.

Here's a link to the post with a picture of the carbon boots. Actually the base rather than the cuff, unless you know of another set of boots?

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=296821&postcount=7

My mistake, thanks for finding that!

because they are magic!

if I recall correctly I remember hearing they were stiff as hell but still had a very active flex some areas and something about the way(the location of where the cuff attaches?) they pivot.

Says some crazy Austrian I met on Mount Baldy...(I wish more stories started like that)

The pivot is exactly where your ankle pivots, so the flex is all dictated by the spring mechanism. The plastic itself is brutally stiff on the yellow models.

He had Kessler stickers on his helmet, and dragged his hips railing on tele gear, and spoke remarkably broken English, so I'll have to take his word for it.