Note to New Members ×

Is my stance too wide?

zoltan

If everything is now in metric.. why is everyone still measuring there width in inches.. it makes it so tough when I bring my tinker tools with me..

My stance width will change a bit from outwest terrain to local bump hill.. but I run with toe 3 degree lift and 6 degree heel lift.. width is for all you inches people. 21.456692" or just 54.5cm... it a comfort thing and control thing for me.. too wide and extra burn on the thighs happen.. then I know its too wide for the set up..

Intresting thread.. 19.5 inches is pretty popular..

:lurk:

• 11 months later...

Where are you guys measuring the stance width on your board?

From the center of one binding to the center of the other?

If that's the case I'm 18.5 apart! Yikes! I'm 6'2" 200lbs with a 34 inseam.

Conventional wisdom and math says I should around 20 inches??

I got F toe and R heel lift, but marginal from old Oxygen/fritchi 01 bindings with built in non adjustable lift.

I'm using the supplied cant doughnuts to max inward (still marginal) cant on both bindings.

Running 60/55 angles on a board that's 10 inches wide.

Where are you guys measuring the stance width on your board?

From the center of one binding to the center of the other?

Yes.

Well, if there's anything this thread has shown, it's that there's probably little "conventional" about this. Just go with what feels good. But to your point, I'm only 5'6" and I'm using 19" stance.

Going wider may give you more control (if you feel you need it). But if you already feel in control and are riding well and everything is working, then if it ain't broke...

I'd say it couldn't hurt to try a wider stance.

Personally, my 19.5" stance felt perfectly fine, but when I widened it to 20+ it just felt better. I'm happy I decided to experiment.

Thanks for the info guys I'll try wider -and Zolton I didn't mean to jack your thread.

....but where do you measure the stance width from??

Sounds to me like it's completely on topic.

I measure stance width from the center of my binding discs. It's the only point which stays constant regardless of setup.

Sounds to me like it's completely on topic.

I measure stance width from the center of my binding discs. It's the only point which stays constant regardless of setup.

i measure from the centre of one toe bail to the centre of the other toe bail, because i have fore/aft bias which is not identical on each binding.

i suppose non-intec people would similarly measure from the centre of the heel binding bail.

Measuring from any point other than the center of the disc might give a false measurement unless your angles on the front and rear foot are the same. As an exaggerated example, if you ride duck and measure from toe to toe, you get a much different measurement than from heel to heel.

Exactly.

So...

I'm 6'1" tall, with a 33.5" inseam. I started the season with a 19.5" stance width on a Coiler VSR 173.

So last weekend I decided to go even a little wider, and set it to 21.25". It's right at the point where it feels a liiiiiiiiiiiittle too wide, but feels even better when actually riding it. My bindings are now centered on the furthest apart inserts.

I'm 5'8" and I ride a 21" stance. You're not too wide. How it feels while you're riding is what matters.

Took out the new Virus Avy AFT ALP - All I can say is Wow!

Kills everything...groomers, ice, pow...........

I tried you guys suggestion of a wider stance...started at 20.5 -just didn't feel right....after numerous adjustments I'm now back down to 18+/-

Toe side still rails but my heel side is washing out.

On the front foot I'm all the way back on the last set of mounting holes and on the rear foot I'm all the way forward on the first set of holes!

I feel centered - I think I should move both feet up to load the nose to counter the heel side wash out but I got nowhere to go on the rear binding except backwards!

I got lift but no cant on 60/55 My rear foot feels under powered/laging behind my body on the heelside - was thinking of turning up the angles to 65/60

Any ideas??