Note to New Members ×

Short board

groovastic

Hi all!

I've been thinking of getting myself a short board for some time now, and after reading http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33006 i realised that I am not the only one... :D

Many years ago I've had a Nidecker 158 and liked it a lot, but after first time riding a longer board I never went back to my Nidecker so I cannot really tell if I liked such a short board compared to longer ones.

Since then I've tested a Pogo Impact 168 and a Virus Nightmare 165 and nothing shorter... I really loved the Impact, but Nightmare felt a bit small.

BUT, my style and technic have changed a bit so I started thinking of testing some shorter boards again and maybe even buying one...

Pogo Overdose 162

Virus UFC 163 (or some other?)

and SG Full Race 163

come to my mind..

Any other suggestions?

Could anybody please compare the 3 I just mentioned?

Cheers!

I have a Coiler VSR 167 (average 10.5m sidecut) that I love for days when I don't want to go fast or ride steep pitches. I think it's the same one that's in the Bomberonline store.

It'll turn faster than I can, it's insanely fun to have it cross under your upper body at warp speed. The 167 can handle higher speeds too, but it's definitely not as stable as a 14m board. Switching back and forth with the long boards is quite a mind-job, I love it. I test-rode the Angrry at the same time. It was fun too but a little too twitchy for me. Bruce described the Angrry as a board you wouldn't want to ride all day. I'll ride the 167 all day when I'm at a hill that only has blue runs (North American 'blue' rating, not sure what the Euro equivalent is) and have a blast. All the clips where the board doesn't have a plate on it in this video are on the 167 VSR:

I do some mellow pumping turns near the end, it'll turn way harder than that if you load it up!

I assume the Coilers will cost more than the European boards just due to shipping and importation duties, but it's really nice to have a board custom made to your weight and style.

I have not ridden any of the 3 you have listed, but ridden

kessler

donek

burton

elan

prior

coiler

... and a few other harboards (with various combiations of vist and Hangl) that i cant remember.... (I actually rode a similar pogo once on a bad snow day, so that doesnt really count)

and I have to say that I agree 100% with Corey's post... having a "magical" ~167 VSR 10.5 (ask Bruce for a Buell Steelman), and regularly switching to a 177 VSR for bigger days, is a "mind-job" that makes you want to quit your day-job. I also agree on the stability, but you have to be going pretty fast to get the 167 into "oh-*^&%*" territory.

It depends how much you weigh, but my Kessler 156 SL is pretty hard to beat at legal resort speeds. I hear a lot of talk from people with big boards, but I'd not worry too much about talk.

I don't worry about if a resort's "good for carving" or not: boards like this are for riding resorts, moguls, steeps, everything skiers can ride and as fast as them at least.

I will repeat myself. Virus Rocket 162 Team Series or Hurricane 163. If you want wider board, because these two are 17.5 cm, go with new UFC 163. It does everything, but it requires more precise input from rider on groomers. This is my impression after 3 days so it probably will change with time. First review still in progress, too busy at work. You asked about Angry. I checked it in spring 09 at Mt. Rose. It was some development version of board I was told, but I am not Coiler guy.