Note to New Members ×

Binding Setup? Carve vs All Mountain

fishrising

Hey All, how do you setup your bindings on your all mountain boards (as compared to your carving board)?

I just acquired my first all mountain board, a Donek 177 (21.5 waist, 10.9 SCR) Axxess, rode it the other day and could not get comfortable in my stance. Whereas my carving boards, like my Donek 179 (21 waist, 11.2 SCR) Oppenheim Free Carve, I am comfortable.

I tried mimicking the binding setup and locations and that did not feel comfortable on the Axxess. I tried other spots and positions as well.

Is it I just need to get used to the new ride because it is not a pure carving board and therefore just simply rides differently?

Or is there a certain "spot" to place my bindings on an all mountain board, that is different than a strictly carving board?

Thanks!

My understanding from reading the forums and tech articles is that you should pretty much use the same strategy with each board. It depends on the width of the board and your boot size. Use the lowest angles possible that allows you to mount your bindings without any kind of boot overhang.

On a wider board like the Axxess you'll benefit from lower binding angles than on a board with a really thin waist. I have 25 mondo size feet and ride my Axxess at 50/45, although I have a tiny bit of toe overhang on my rear boot. I should probably increase the angles slightly to 53/48 or something.

Edit: Also, you may want to try a slightly wider stance width on the all mountain board depending on what kind of riding you'll be doing.

Ben you've got huge feet so you're probably are running some pretty steep angles right?

How many days have you riden your Axxess on this new setup?

It takes some time to adjust to a lower stance angle. I would not change the width of your stance and just work on your angles for now.

I went from riding 67/65 on narrower glass boards to 60/58 on wider metal boards and it took me a few days to get use to it. I'm now going to experiment with going down even more (especially with a the BBP).

In the long run I've found that the lower angles are less of a quad burner for me.

Give it some time, you may need to adjust your canting as well if you go to a lower angle setup.

Could it be that you are used to the cant and lift setting on the Catek binding as oposed to the Bomber? Did you try the Bomber bindings on the board you are used to? I run the bomber bindings on all of my boards and it isn't that big of a deal swithching from my 172 ax to my 183 Nidecker or the 168 vokl. The waist widths on the carve specfic boards are 18 cm vs the 21.5 or whatever it is for the ax.I run the same angles and width on all those boards except on my Dupraz D1 I run lower angles because it is much wider. I even use diffrent boots on the all mountain boards vs carve specfic and it is not that big of a deal riding them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Axxes has the bindings set a lot farther apart than on the carve board. I run pretty close to the same distance between bindings on all my boards and switch between soft boot, SL, AM hardboot boards. I'm running 58 50 on my SL, 40 30 on my AM. All feel comfortable. I even have different bindings on the boards with different cant settings.

My main go to boards are both Doneks.

Metal Axxess 172 21.5 waist and Metal Free Carve 179 20 waist.

I have them set up identically with the exception of angles.

Axxess is F53 R51

Free Carve is F62 R60

Mondo size 28

I am able to switch back and forth imediately with no issues. It takes a few turns to adjust to the sidecut and length. Make sure that you have no underhang on the wider board. This is worse then overhang!

As newcarver said, your bindings are a lot farther apart on the Axxess. It also has less effective edge -- it's a little shorter, and it has a lot of tail with no edge in the snow. So you have a lot less nose and tail to flex. This can make a board feel all wrong.

As others have already pointed out, the stance width on the Axxess is wider than the FC.

I tried mimicking the binding setup and locations and that did not feel comfortable on the Axxess. I tried other spots and positions as well.

Use the same stance width, not binding location.

In my experience, Donek's preferred to be ridden on the nose. I would recommend you start by moving the back binding forward.