Note to New Members ×

177cm Backwards

caspercarver

Got my hands on a 177cm Metal Prior and shot a short video the other day. Definitely a different experience going backwards at a higher speed. Cheers!

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYINhY8lX4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!! You da man!!!

Seriously: could you write an article or something on what steps you went through to learn how to ride switch as well as you do??

Thanks. I unfortunately am not articulate enough to explain what i do. I did learn on shorter boards with tighter turning radius which i think makes it easier. I did try with a wider stance and found it very difficult. It really seemed to cut down on my range of motion. I spent a lot of time on the bunny slope in soft snow for the impact is not as severe when you catch your edge. I almost always lean uphill on my turns backwards which helps keep the tail from digging in. When i make my transition to heelside backwards carve my helmet sometimes is only inches away from the front of the board. Today i worked on the toeside transition to backwards carve, infinitely more difficult. I ended up doing body slides down the slope. I can get low but i can't get back up. yet. It's a work in progress. I would be fun if someone could watch what I'm doing and articulate it so we all could learn.

Any tips are appreciated no matter how inarticulate. We'll figure it out somehow :)

As I see it:

1) Find shorter board with smaller radius.

2) Proceed to bunny slope.

3) Swallow pride.

I suppose #3 could proceed #1 and/or #2 :freak3:

I just got around to watching this, no YouTube at work. That was sweet! I just tried backwards at my loacl hill yesterday and holy WEIRD! I did find out that it is indeed easier carving heelside fakie but I didn't practice that much so I didn't get very far. I want to practice your transitions because I love the look of that:) With your headcam view you could really tell you were down at the snow! Nice vid!

I'm impressed. The transitions are cool and definitely take confidence. Reminds me of some videos I've seen of Joerg from Pureboarding carving switch.

I've tried riding switch on a carving board. Since I never learned switch on any board, it was super difficult. Now that I've learned switch on a softy setup, I should try it again.

Great video.

Sweet work cc.

Looks like you are at the big hill.

Aprez Vouz area?

Been too long since I rode there for how close we are.

For those that are playing with this and not quite there ( not suggesting I am): don't force it. There is a point when you kind of get lost and not sure what the heck happened/is happening.

Do not just throw down the new edge at this point. It can be painful. I have no idea on the whole hopping thing cc has much better springs than I, but for smooth transitions and not jump turns, keep feeling for the knee roll to new edge and the flat foot that tells you it's safe to change edges. Flex and extend for timing, flat foot and then muscle memory can take over and help you carve the new edge.

That's all I have.

Both me and a friend busted up our **** learning fakie. I got the +2 AC sep and he busted his collar bone. At 47 Im not so sure Im looking to to try that stuff at speed any more. The place you have to practice looks pretty pristine.

Props to your skills for sure:biggthump I know what it takes to get there

Sweet work cc.

Looks like you are at the big hill.

Aprez Vouz area?

Been too long since I rode there for how close we are.

Thanks carvedog, it's under the casper chairlift. the run is "Liftline" and runs into "easy does it". If your ever planning on being in the area i can give you a heads up on conditions and make some turns together! What's your home resort? Cheers.

Both me and a friend busted up our **** learning fakie. I got the +2 AC sep and he busted his collar bone. At 47 Im not so sure Im looking to to try that stuff at speed any more. The place you have to practice looks pretty pristine.

Props to your skills for sure:biggthump I know what it takes to get there

Oh man that suc$%^ ! I have been very lucky, so far nothing but some pulled muscles. I just got my new birthday present ( i just turned 49) a 161cm Swoard Extremecarver. It's a blast to ride but when going backwards, you can easily see a serious amount of snow flyin up over the tail. maybe i should invest in a neck, spine protector.

here's a link to the Swoard backwards. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KasperKarver?feature=mhum

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPcwCQWlYCo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>