Note to New Members ×

Ever tried to convince someone NOT to straightline?

SWriverstone

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GeoffV - you've nailed it. you can't expect to re-educate the masses, so you've got to look out for yourself. i rode sportbikes as well and my mindset was similar - assume you're invisible, and everyone else on the road are idiots.

though i've been snowboarding forever, i'm relatively new to 'real' carving, and i'm super cognizant of the disparity of styles (having been a 'zipperline' rider previously - neat term, boris, never heard that before). i'm a bit paranoid (esp on heelside turns) and have to keep reminding myself to check uphill periodically.

on the subject of technique differentiation, i was thinking about it last time i was up the hill. hardpack, but carvable conditions, and most people, apart from a couple more skilled skiers doing big racer-esque gs turns, were more or less doing the tail wagging speedcheck / sideslip straightline thing down the hill. some guys were going really fast, but dynamically, it looks so boring. in the past, it would take super steeps, or powder dumps to get me excited, now caving a groomed blue is super fun. perhaps it's just my enthusiasm for something new, but i get the feeling that people are missing out on the possibilities. it's like a new sport to me. i'd like to think there's possibility for a resurgence of alpine - perhaps in conjunction w/ an aging OG demographic. anyways, meandering ramble off...

When I hear of people getting hit multiple times I blame them, not the other people.

Some people have to carve at really busy resorts where an occasional collision is going to happen. (I would not ride in that situation personally )

Beyond that I agree with bumpyride, TT, and GeoffV. The carver often must assume the responsibility for avoiding collisions. I know the rules, I am basing that statement on experience. I have only been lightly bumped once, and I could have avoided it.

If someone did hit Rebecca or myself because they were being stupid or oblivious, we would deal with them firmly, depending on how they acted after the fact.

Seems like the more accomplish rider were better at avoiding collision.

Perhaps those steep run require the skier/rider to have more control/skill to begin with.

It's very diffcult for those of us who is starting out or at least for me...

Check where my head/shoulder/knee/hip is

Am I push or pulling?

Crap that tress is coming awfully fast:eek:

Oooo that feel nice what did I do different?

Trees!!

All the above require concerntrations plus it doesn't help on a crowded green/blue trial; It's harder to pay attention to the uphill skier.

It's no excuse; but please do give noob like me a break :)

--

David

A couple of years ago at a Tahoe area resort, 5 of us were told by ski patrol that people were complaining. Not about the trenches. We were told that we could not go side to side on the runs anymore. :eek: I figured we must have held up someone important at the resort.

We ignored patrol completely and they never said anything else.

what tahoe area?

might be added to my real world ignore list.

Seems like the more accomplish rider were better at avoiding collision.

Perhaps those steep run require the skier/rider to have more control/skill to begin with.

It's very diffcult for those of us who is starting out or at least for me...

Check where my head/shoulder/knee/hip is

Am I push or pulling?

Crap that tress is coming awfully fast:eek:

Oooo that feel nice what did I do different?

Trees!!

All the above require concerntrations plus it doesn't help on a crowded green/blue trial; It's harder to pay attention to the uphill skier.

It's no excuse; but please do give noob like me a break :)

--

David

If your profile is correct, try a smaller board (unless you are a pretty big guy). We were all beginners too and had to work through the same, too many thoughts in our head, stuff. Paying attention to riders above you is critical. Even more so as a beginner because your motions are more erratic and you are generally moving slower down the fall line (you will have a lot more riders passing you).

what tahoe area?

might be added to my real world ignore list.

It was an isolated incident and the local carvers asked that it not be posted. I was using to point out how different our riding style is from the norm and that we must often fend for ourselves. I'll send a PM.

Over here in Southern Ontario, Canada the resort I ride at Blue Mountain is always jam packed, as in the singles line can get 100 feet long and start going up the hill. Weekdays usually dead, but weekends man, ridiculous, sucks to be a carver here, Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid when I went was MUCH better, and I went during the holiday season, not busy at all, but it's the closest topographic feature on the East Coast to a real mountain. :( unfortunately I wasn't on hard boots at the time to take advantage of the wide GS perfect runs near the summit.