Note to New Members ×

volkl selecta

bc1

Looking for a hardboot powder board has anybody used a selecta looking a small review on this board

I have ridden both the cambered and newer rockered selecta's in softboots and they are a fun and playful powder board that is more versatile than their shape would lead most to believe and I really liked the 168 and 175.

But the core of the board is very thin to help keep it light weight and for me I would be afraid to mount plates on it. I am 220 and even with softies (rad-air RS4 bindings and/or c60's) I could torsionally flex the board pretty easily and that is why I would be hesitant to mount even f2's on it as I think that you would over torque the core as they were not made for the kind of forces that hardboots can put on a board.

cheers,

sandy

The short story: I love this board in the trees. I love this board in the bumps. I love this board on the groom.

The long story:

My set-up: 175cm Volkl Selecta with Flow M11 bindings and Palmer Shock PLS. I've been riding this set-up for 2 1/2 seasons. The board is from the first model year (wood topsheet with metal strip around the perimeter); therefore, it is about six years old. The board was new-in-plastic when I bought it. This is the only Selecta I have ridden.

I deliberately bought the first years model for two reasons: 1) they are the most durable (based on a friend's first had knowledge); 2) it was made in Germany. The first two model years were made when Volkl still had their factory in Germany. All models since have been made in China.

I would not define the core as "thin" on my board. There is torsional flex, but less than other freeride boards (Arbor A-Frame, Tanker, Eldorado, older Incline...).

My stats: 210 lbs before gear. MP26 boot size.

The ride: as long as you ride in a neutral position, the board does everything well! The float in powder is very good, but not not even close to my 192cm Tanker or 186cm LaGlisse. It carves well on groomers as long as you ride it neutral. It handles well in trees and bumps. The reason I bought the board was that I was tired of the workout I got from riding the 192cm Tanker in tight trees. The 2cm of taper on my board allows the tail to sink very easily. A little longer nose would be beneficial; the nose issue may be remedied on the new rockered models.

I require that any powder board I own must float well but also carve well. I don't like having to baby a board across the groom while making my way to my powder stashes. I liked the powder performance of the Dupraz 6' D1+, but felt that I was too heavy and aggressive for the short effective edge. The Selecta carves very well as long as you stand centered. Due to the large amount of taper, if you get forward on the board when carving, the tail will disengage.

Other considerations: Depending on your size, other boards you might consider are the Dupraz D-series, Venture Storm, and Prior Spearhead or Fizzle. I had heard rumors that Dupraz was supposed to build a giant-sized board for bigger riders, but have yet to see anything.