Note to New Members ×

Homemade dampening?

carvin29

• 2 weeks later...
use pamper or cloth for the baby dampering, ok?

:eek:

I think that would deteriorate:)

I have never made anything myself but the Bomber plte bindings use an elastomer and many snowboards use rubber in the board so just slap it on and ride! Just make sure your screws engage with enough threads since you are increasing the thickness.

My $.02

• 3 weeks later...

get a bag, put tungsten shot in it, also seen sand, water and more viscous liquids as well. locate these bags near the tips. it works but at the expense of adding weight.

there were couple commercial products that were/are exactly what I described above, not a original idea in any way.

The difficulty is that when you compress the dampening sheet, the screws near the area of most compression lose tension and can loosen. After a few cycles of this you may have loose bindings. Even if the screws don't fall out, you are allowing all sorts of forces to act on the inserts and screws.

The Bomber approach is to have the center disk locked down. The center disk does not rigidly attach to the binding, though; instead it simply compresses the baseplate/cant disk against the dampening material.

Maybe you could get longer screws by whatever the thickness of the dampening sheet, then cut out a hole for the center disk. Then make up a shim of that thickness to go below the center disk (like the TD2 suspension kit shim). Maybe UHMWPE would work for this?