Note to New Members ×

Silver Mountain 10/11

Steve Prokopiw

Silver Rocked today for carving.They are still not grooming much but what they did groom was firm and carvable all day.Saddleback was my run of choice today.Rode out of my skull on the Diablo.Cranked linked carves all the way down less than two cats wide.This board rides like it already has a plate,hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...

damn, yesterday may have been free and I still had fun with Mark, but the weather was ROUGH! I'll be back though, nice mountain and a bit cheaper/closer than Schweitzer. I like the gondola too, there are always some idiots driving up/down any other resort I've been to. But when we were going up, got hit with a gust that damn near took my board out of that crappy aluminum box:eek:....board rode inside with me on the way down.

Hey Steve.... any forcast for what late season might be like at Silver?

I'm thinking of coming out again for another week of riding for free :D. Since I'm allowed to carry only so much vacation time over each year I'm going to be obligated to burn some or loose it :mad:. So with this in mind, got any suggestions for a good week to be out there?

Brad

EDIT: Cripes! I just checked Slvr Mt schedule and see that they close down almost every Tues & Wed. If I were to make a trip out it would most likely be the last week of March where it looks like they'd be open entire week.

Snow was fast and carvable at 11:00 when I started.It snowed about 2 more inches the rest of the day.Trees are getting good again.Tube hill was slow for my boys and their cub scout party in the afternoon,but we dads were giving good slingshot flings to get the kids flying down the course.

Other than the occasional complaint about ruts on my favorite run,it's been a great season so far.Way more positive feedback.Probably a ratio of a few dozen compliments to one complaint.

,spring break time at Silver is funny in that there seems to be no real influx of kids here at that timeWhen I was ski school director I was surprised to find that they don't really market much to that crowd and they just take what comes from local schools.Great for us because we don't feel like it's jib central as much during that time as many other mountains do.

So come on out in March! Lookout is open six days a week through at least Feb,not sure about March.Early March is best but not sure if they'll be open six days then.

But it was snow for the first 2 hours and it was a powder morning.Bottom half was wet and heavy by 11:00 and 4 was closed early since they were worried about slides and whiteout winds. Pray for cold temps!

We'll be up there with the boys tommorrow if anyone wants to do a few runs in the morning after I drop them off with their ski group.

after 12:00 and in the chair 2 area.The frontside had unbelievable wind.Chair 2 was in the eye of a hurricane that dumped what seemed like 2" an hour.By 3:00 I had had my best pow day of the season so far.All on the 210 which was stellar in the new snow without anyone around.On the way up, one of the top three most thrilling gondola rides since moving here six years ago.Sustained near 50mph!Since everybody got scared away by the wind and the rest of us got to enjoy the spoils,it turned out to be an incredible afternoon!

• 4 weeks later...

Silver got lots of snow before opening Thursday for one of the best days of the season and then it firmed up a bit since Friday so Sat and Sun were killer carving days.Except for when Max and I rode out at chair 4 in the fog.We hardly ever get fog but it was just like Whitefish today.Then at about 2:45 the sun started to peek through and visability was good the last hour.Hope you got to get some of that,Max. Rode down the gondi with some folks who turned out to be the quietest family ever.It was weird.I got bored and started spewing Silver Valley trivia and they opened up a bit.

• 1 month later...

I have to work in Coeur D Alene tommorrow so I will be going the next Saturday to Silver.

I will undoubtedly hear then about the three carvers that came to town.I think of Silver as 'my house';like my house Silver is a little messy and a bit disorganized:)The trees should be great as it's still been snowing up there.A hike up Wardner would be a good choice.Enjoy!

Shot some video of last Saturday at Silver Mountain. First time riding there for me. Wet and thick, but had a blast...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hiCTCQWd8bM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What an AWSOME SUNNY day! Today was definitely what the Silver Saturday tradition is all about.The Diablo just ate up the spring chop, and for a change I could actually see it.Broke the GoPro off for the umteenth time but caught it while it was rolling along beside me down the landing ramp of a kicker in the trauma park. The weather simply could not have been better.The boys skied great,just attacking chop that was up to their little boot tops after lunch.Just a great day! Great people, beer and snow! With snowpack running 150% of normal depth there is talk of Silver running Saturdays through Memorial day:)

up here again one of these next few Saturdays let me know.I'd love to ride with y'all again.I'm glad you guys had fun when you were up here.I don't have to work Saturdays now that we have hired some new help so I will be at Silver what looks like three to four more Saturdays before it's all over.Maybe if we keep getting snow they'll keep going until regular operation resumes next November!:)