Note to New Members ×

happened already

Guest johann

That's Right! Can't stand people who bomb out of their abilities! Luckily I've never come close to being hit like that. Once I was in a collision though, it was really funny! I was carving really deep wide S's on a wide blue groomer, no one else on the hill. Every toeside I'd look up and check if someone was coming. No one was there, so I blasted into a deep heelside, just as I'm in the middle of the carve perpendicular to the fall line, I see this idiot flying down the mountain close to me, about to hit. I didn't even have enough time to bail, he probably came out of the glades at top speed, so I crossed my arms across my chest and got ready. He hit my board at full speed, and since it was inclinated at like 60 degrees, he went flying! He did a front flip and luckily landed on his board before catching his heel and slamming down, to continue sliding down the slope. Thankfully no injuries, except to my topsheet that mother****er!

My collision is a little funnier.

I was standing across the fall line waiting for a class of little racers to go buy, and one of them hit me from behind. He was about the height of my knees and so nailed me in the back of the knees. I sat down and he popped out between my knees, stumbled over my board with his skiis, adjusted his helmet and goggles and shot off down the hill (in that incredible rubbery snowplow with the bum over the rear tips). Not a word was exchanged, I was concerned about having crushed him and he was worried about losing his class!

Wish they all would end that way.....

John

neil

not really, i guess im really talking more about trail conditions, if it is safe to go fast on a trail or not. i watched a lot of heard mentality up at killington recently where people should have obviously slowed down but didnt. im talking about idiots on narrow trails going too fast with no room for error. you may be a great rider but that idiot next to you prolly isnt. like you say, and i agree, if you got the room go for it.

I just remembered another one: a rich ass flapper skier was flying down a wide black diamond on Orford, (into the T-Bar area!) and this 8 year old kid was in snow plow not even moving, but the skier just headed straight for him! The skier bailed and did scraped right through him, the man plowed right through his legs and the kid flipped over onto his back. He immidiately got up and started looking for his skis, and the skier got up and helped him get his poles. I thought that was going to be it and I was so angry, but then (hehe) the kids mother flew down into the skier and pushed him and started screaming and swearing at him! YEs!

Guest Randy S.

I should probably stay out of a thread about riding at ludicrous speed (remember Spaceballs?). However, I agree with Neil on this.

And remember the line from the latest Warren Miller movie: "Every Crash Begins with a Turn".

A flapper is a skier who rides without propper equipment (sunglasses, weird tuque, sometimes jeans tucked into boots, his jacket is often open) yet he has the newest, most expensive pair of race stock skis available, unwaxed and un-tuned. He bombs straight a lot, and his lift ticket flaps in the wind. He only comes out on Saturday. I'm not sure if me and my friends invented this term.

The day trailertrash is talking about at killington was pretty sketchy on Great Northern. I was looking over both shoulders on every turn. I even shouted "on your right !" as I overtook someone, pretty old school, huh? Best part was one of the many high school ski racers that arced into me at wicked high speed and scared the crap out of me since I was goin' like hell too. I could see her ski an inch from my board for a split second. )(:eek:

Guest AlpentalRider
Originally posted by willywhit

I even shouted "on your right !" as I overtook someone, pretty old school, huh?

not at all, my buddies and myself do the same thing everytime we are passing people at a decent clip. You would be amazed at how impervious some people are to their surroundings.

I used to do that. But I found people could mistake a shouted "on your right" to mean "move right". So now I just make sure there's room and that I know where they'll be moving while I'm passing, and zip by. Sometimes they're a little startled but I figure that's better than a sudden move in the wrong direction.

Guest Ghostrider

Worst crash I ever invoked was with some old foagie vigilante who thought I was totally out of control.

I was doing some race training on a closed and well marked "TRAINING IN PROGRESS" hill. I'll admit..I was out of control at times, but I figured that would be ok since there was a 6 foot orange sign warning people of that. I saw a 65 year old "flapper" cut onto the hill, so I "straighlined" it past him on the opposide side of the hill to get some distance from him (Speed is your friend..when in doubt..gas it! Get as far away from the problem as possible!). Well after I thought I was safe enough from him, I wanted to start working on some slalom turns so I started a big uphill carve to check my speed, well to my surprise, the old guy was chasing me down. He swerved towards me and grabbed my jacket to yell at me for going too fast. He slammed into me and his ski went between my legs and hooked under my brand new TD2's. That then made my board edge up and carve away, which made him spin around as I stole his ski. He was then going backwards very fast with one ski and into the trees. Luckily he dodged pulling a bono and tumbled somewhat safely to a halt. I went over and grabbed his skis, and called ski patrol cuz he said he hurt his knee. Waited for ski patrol to show up while he yelled at me for being out of control and crashing into him. Ski patrol then told me to leave and that if I don't cool it, I would be banned for the rest of the season!!! (????):confused:

I had to take the ski patroller up to the hill and show him the training in progress sign, and also thanks to sharp edges, show him my cut in the snow showing where I was pointed away from the crash, then had the liftie vouch that I was in fact downhill and the guy grabbed me!!!

Moral of the story:

MICHIGAN SKIIERS BLAME SNOWBOARDERS FOR EVERYTHING!!!!

NOT SURE IF THIS IS FUNNY OR SICK................

WHILE WORKING ON SKI PATROL, ON MY CARVING BOARD I STOPPED TO HELP A SKIER UP WHO HAD FALLEN DOWN AND COULD NOT GET UP. ( SHOULD HAVE LEFT HIM DOWN AND TAKEN HIS SKIIS ) LIKED THAT IDEA - PREVIOUS THREAD HAVE TO TRY THAT )

I GOT HIM UP, ACROSS THE HILL SO HE WOULD NOT SLIP AWAY GAVE HIM SOME SUGGESTIONS ON SNOWPLOWING AND WENT ON MY WAY.......................................

FOUR TOWERS DOWN WHILE MAKING SHORT SWING TURNS I SAW A SKI INSTRUCTOR WAVING HIS ARMS AT ME FROM THE CHAIR LIFT.......PULLED UP TO STOP AND BEFORE I COULD STOP I GOT HIT FROM BEHIND. I GOT LAUNCHED INTO THE AIR AND CAME DOWN ON TOP OF THE SKIER WITH MY BOARD ACROSS HIS NECK. ROLLED OFF HIM CHECKED HIM OUT TO MAKE SURE HE WAS OK WHICH OTHER THAN BEING SHAKEN WAS NONE THE WORSE FOR WARE. LOOKED CLOSER AT HIM AND RECOGNIZED HIM AS THE VERY SAME ONE I HAD JUST PICKED UP.

CALLED FOR A SNOWMACHINE TO TAKE HIM TO THE BUNNY HILL!!!

MY BACK HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME.

IT IS A SIMPLE RULE "YIELD TO DOWNHILL RIDERS !" NO EXCEPTIONS.

HOW OFTEN DO WE VIOLATE IT??

THEN THERE IS MY FAVORITE " LOOK UP HILL BEFORE MERGING OR CONTINUING DOWNHILL"

NOW THAT GETS VIOLATED EVERY DAY !!!!!

SKI PATROLS DO THE BEST THEY CAN BUT IF I HAD A DOLLAR FOR ALL THE RIDERS I HAVE TOLD TO SLOW DOWN AND RIDE UNDER CONTROL THE MTN WOULD NOT NEED TO PAY ME. ALL MTN MANAGEMENTS NEED TO SUPPORT THEIR PATROLS AND BE MORE PRO-ACTIVE BY VOIDING SEASON PASSES, PULL DAY TICKETS, AND MAKE RIDERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

I HAVE STOPPED RIDING AT KILLINGTON FOR THAT VERY REASON, WEEKENDS OR WEEKDAYS MAKE NO DIFFERANCE. HELMET OR NOT IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK OF LIFE AND LIMB.