Note to New Members ×

My first carving: do I improve?

Perlyshko

[*]The Deeluxe 141 line has substanially more volume than the FLO liner

I have the Deeluxe Red liners and they also had way higher volume than my old, old stock 224 liners. The first molding was not workable at all. I solved the problem by padding up my forefoot considerably with foam to displace more liner, ie not just around the toes. I used adhesive-backed foam weather strip from Home Depot to do it. I've got some pictures around somewhere at home if you're interested.

Try rotating your hips and shoulders to face more forward and less sideways. I doubt it will help with shin bang but it will help with everything else. :) Reaching forward with your rear (left) hand will help pull your body into a better position in that respect.

+1 on this.

My comment is try to keep your shoulders back and bend with your knees and not at the waist. This will help your upper body more upright.

The way I think of it is to point my chest toward the direction of the carve.

To use a spiritual metaphor... open your heart to the carve.

I have the Deeluxe Red liners and they also had way higher volume than my old, old stock 224 liners. The first molding was not workable at all. I solved the problem by padding up my forefoot considerably with foam to displace more liner, ie not just around the toes. I used adhesive-backed foam weather strip from Home Depot to do it. I've got some pictures around somewhere at home if you're interested.

Sorry I should've mentioned above that the email to YYZCanuck was close to a year old. My feet are really screwed-up so I had the areas on the foot area of the boot, that had previously been punched out to relieve pressure with the FLO liners installed, punched out further to accomodate the larger volume of the Deeluxe 141s. I have been riding pain free in those boots since then.

Dave

The UPZ tongues are rated as such:

Grey - 140 flex

Black - 120 flex

Red - 100 flex

They are about $100 for a set over here, sure it would be comparable in Europe.

I am a new alpine rider as well and my first time in hardboots was painful. My angles were much too low and I was trying to turn the board like a softboot board. Leaning backwards and forwards.

I have since switched to a 50/47 stance and initiate turns by leaning sideways in my boots to turn the board on edge. This seems to be working much better.

I wish I had carver's to follow and learn from...but alas, I am the only one on my mountain.

I wish I had carver's to follow and learn from...but alas, I am the only one on my mountain.

Bora 20

Heres an option for you. I know that Mellen is a level 3 who justs rocks in carving softies or hardboots. She ran the snow board school last year. She did say she was coming back this year.

Feb 7 - Feb 10 Over The Hill Downhill Speed Camps

Come learn from our superb coaching staff how to race and stay in control. This camp is a great preparation for the Over the Hill race or just a fun way to learn about racing. 1 day camp: $90 • 4 day camp: $250

To register or for more information contact the Snowsport School

at lessons@skisilverstar.com or 250-558-6065 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 250-558-6065

Feb 11 - Feb 1330TH and Final Over The Hill Downhill presented by Canaccord Wealth Management

After taking a year off for the Vancouver Olympics Canada’s oldest recreational downhill ski race is back for 1 final year The 30th Annual Canaccord Wealth Management's Over the Hill Downhill is a fun recreational downhill race for the young and young at heart; Everyone can run this event!

Teams should have 4 members and at least 1 female. Your total "team age" will determine what group you are in out of the 4 general age categories: 225+, 190 -224,155-189,120-154. (note that the minimum age to race is 11 years)

You can also enter specialty categories: Disabled, Corporate, Snowboard or Recreational or Individual.

Having trouble forming a 4 member team? You can still run the race as an individual OR let us know and we'll see if we can help you form a team!.

NEW THIS YEAR..

If you are short a team member we will be auctioning top race times that you can include with your team results .... it may well be the EASIEST way to win those bragging rights!