Note to New Members ×

Single unweighed double turn?

BlueB

On one of my favorite carving blues, there was this sweet roller, I played with all afternoon... Coming of a steepish pitch, it almost had a bit of uphill section and then a drop again. I mostly timed the sucking up of the roller with the edge change, for a fun low cross-under. Then, on the last run of the day, I did something new: I slowed the sucking of the knees just a bit, and did 2 turns within a single down-unweighing of the board! The first one was very quick and unfinished, up the roller, and the 2nd one a propper deep turn over the hump. I never weighed the board through the first turn, but just dosed the sucking of the knees for just enough of "terrain pressure".

I often do these kind of turns on slalom skateboard, when I have to make a very deep offset followed by a close and shallow cone. To make the first cone, the board needs to be thrown further away then body can catch up for the next cone, so quick feet action makes it. Or, other scenario is when few very wigly and close cones are encountered, the boddy simply doesn't have the chance to weigh/unweigh the board quick enough, so 2 or even 3 cones are taken within a single flexion...

However, this was the 1st time I did something like that on a snowboard.

Anyone else familliar with the type of turn I'm talking about? Technical reflections?

I know skateboard technique for snowboarding is very popular at www.onedge.ru. Especially Alexey and Dron from Moscow are good in riding this style. Their technique is excellent, and may be even best what I've ever seen for short turns.

I use to play around somewhat like that but on a 17-17,5cm waist board,but can't do that on a 21,5-22 waist board!

On one of my favorite carving blues, there was this sweet roller, I played with all afternoon... Coming of a steepish pitch, it almost had a bit of uphill section and then a drop again. I mostly timed the sucking up of the roller with the edge change, for a fun low cross-under. Then, on the last run of the day, I did something new: I slowed the sucking of the knees just a bit, and did 2 turns within a single down-unweighing of the board! The first one was very quick and unfinished, up the roller, and the 2nd one a propper deep turn over the hump. I never weighed the board through the first turn, but just dosed the sucking of the knees for just enough of "terrain pressure".

I often do these kind of turns on slalom skateboard, when I have to make a very deep offset followed by a close and shallow cone. To make the first cone, the board needs to be thrown further away then body can catch up for the next cone, so quick feet action makes it. Or, other scenario is when few very wigly and close cones are encountered, the boddy simply doesn't have the chance to weigh/unweigh the board quick enough, so 2 or even 3 cones are taken within a single flexion...

Anyone else familliar with the type of turn I'm talking about? Technical reflections?

is this a Form of Carving ?

I'm with Bobby - not a fan of the hyper-fast edge changes while going almost straight down the fall line. I generally try very hard to NOT look like that. ;) But hey, they're having fun so more power to them!

I've tried similar before when I only had green runs to play on; it's quite demanding to stay in complete control for that many of those turns in a row. It often ended with a surprise tail skid or catching an edge.

Being playful on mountain features is one of my favorite aspects of riding alpine. Maching down a wide open trail is fun but add in varying terrain features and I'm in heaven.

I don't know what type of turn you're talking about and I am not savvy enough in alpine-speak to give any technichal reflections but I can visualize what you're talking about. One reason I enjoy riding solo is that on the lift ride up I can look out at the terrain features and think "what if?"

Sounds like you're having fun.

American Association of Snowboard Instructors used to say there were 3 levels of carving (keep in mind there are other types of turns as well), but it has been a while since I was teaching so correct me if i am wrong.

1) Carving - having the body cross over the board extended and maintaining the body extended throughout the turn. This is often the most common seen, slower transition.

2) Dynamic Carved Turn - looks like pumping in the turn. This type of turn the rider is extended in the transition, sinks the body into the turn, then pumps out to an extended position before the end of the turn, and is extended during the transition.

3) Advanced Dynamic Carved Turn - rider is compressed during transition, uncompressed to the apex of the turn, then as the turn completes re-compresses to complete the turn and transition to the other edge. In this type of turn a riders hip maintain the same height off the snow, and the board appears to move like a pendulum under the rider.

Hope that helps to provide some information.

Thanks for the input, so far!

Just to clarify something: The two linked turns I described, have very little, or nothing to do with skateboard pumping technique (or snowboard pumping for that matter). Probably I shouldn't even had mentioned the skate... I did, because I noticed something similar in my skating before, but no, I'm not talking about pumping. To pump, you pretty much have to weigh-unweigh the board and move your CM in every turn. What I described is exactelly opposite - I skipped the cycle through one turn, or rather squized 2 turns into one cycle...

Side note: pumping is another great toppic. Should we start another thread for it?

Thanks for the input, so far!

Just to clarify something: The two linked turns I described, have very little, or nothing to do with skateboard pumping technique (or snowboard pumping for that matter). Probably I shouldn't even had mentioned the skate... I did, because I noticed something similar in my skating before, but no, I'm not talking about pumping. To pump, you pretty much have to weigh-unweigh the board and move your CM in every turn. What I described is exactelly opposite - I skipped the cycle through one turn, or rather squized 2 turns into one cycle...

Side note: pumping is another great toppic. Should we start another thread for it?

Is weightless Carving possible ?

• 1 month later...

It seems that I'm able to duplicate this on good snow and right roller. I'll get Scooby to film it next time the conditions are right...

More I do it, more I'm sure that it's just the dosing of terrain pressure (roller, depression) that makes the things happen. In other words, the single down-unweighing move can be dosed through 2 quick turns to utilize the terrain to still wigh/unweigh the board, in despite of 0 push being applied from riders side. Not sure if I'm making myself too clear...