Note to New Members ×

Overall style snow pants

KenS

When shopping for snowboard pants, I'm wondering why overall-style pants are so deeply in the minority compared to your standard waist-high pant. As a big mountain freerider who stays away from the freestyle park and wears suspenders anyway, switching to overall style pants would seem to have advantages. Are there functional reasons why these pants aren't common in the boarding realm?

Curious about people's prefs and opinions.

They make a bazzilion different snow pants, but very few true bib's. I think it's a matter of style as bib's look a little skier-ey. I use the Spyder Coach bibs. Full insulated bib with padded knee's. Got five seasons on them and still keep be bone dry after many hours of surface contact;). A bit too toasty for temps above 40 unless you go "commando" style:eek:

I typically get 4 to 5 seasons on a pair... :biggthump

I kill 2 pairs a year... :(

The only indestructable pair so far, are my sailing Wetskins bibs. However, they are not very breadable... Use them on the rainy days only.

I might be an inofficial tester for Arc'teryx this season. After I described what I do to my pants, one of the chief designers (my skating friend) decided to prototype a special pair for me :biggthump

Bibs are a Must... people do not use them because they do not know about them :) Powder = Bibs :)

I don't use bibs, though I ride quite a bit of powder.

Bibs make my shell less breathable, and trap more sweat; with them I have an extra layer of goretex over my chest and back. Especially if I'm hiking bibs would be sucky. My friend has bibs and he's looking to get rid of them for normal pants. I just wear pants with suspenders, and a good jacket with a powder skirt, and it's never allowed snow into the shell.

Went to the local Army Navy Surplus and found bran d new NOS winter cold weather suspender bibs with the fake bear fur ( wool blend ) $20 bucks, rip stop nylon outer, wide flair boot bottom cuffs, nice mild dull green color t-w-e-n-t-y bucks people.:)

There is a rack full of them.

They are not water proof but then again I don't spend a lot of time eating white s**t on my ass so I look kinda yuppie " I don't give a dam" cool in them ( only in my mind )

See profile photo for Military bib shot. ;)